trev

Default Yamaha NS 10 Amp?

Hey everybody!
What would be the best amplifier to use with the NS 10's.
I don't want to spend any more than $300. I have a 001, Mackie 1402
mixer, the NS 10's and a 733MHz G4.

Can somebody give me some advice on my situation?

Thanks
Trevor
Scott Dorsey

trev wrote:
Hey everybody!
What would be the best amplifier to use with the NS 10's.
I don't want to spend any more than $300. I have a 001, Mackie 1402
mixer, the NS 10's and a 733MHz G4.

Can somebody give me some advice on my situation?

When the NS-10 was the popular monitor, a lot of folks used the Crown D-60.
The mushy top end on the D-60 helps take some of the NS-10 screechiness.
Caddell M

What would be the best amplifier to use with the NS 10's.

Several years ago when I posted the same question, Fletcher pointed me towards
Yamaha amps, and I found it to be a good match (though I don't use that
monitoring chain much anymore since moving on to 824's.)
Mark Caddell
Boston
david

In article , Scott Dorsey
wrote:

trev wrote:
Hey everybody!
What would be the best amplifier to use with the NS 10's.
I don't want to spend any more than $300. I have a 001, Mackie 1402
mixer, the NS 10's and a 733MHz G4.

Can somebody give me some advice on my situation?

When the NS-10 was the popular monitor, a lot of folks used the Crown D-60.
The mushy top end on the D-60 helps take some of the NS-10 screechiness.

When?? Gezz Scott I thought we already went thru this. It still *is* a
very popular monitor. Call up any commercial facility charging more
than peanuts per hour and ask it they have ns-10's. They do. And they
aren't in the forgotten storage closet covered in dust.

And see what they go for on ebay. (Maybe I'll be able to retire in 10
years just by selling the 3 pairs I got. ;) I know people that want to
buy them but won't shell out the ebay bucks. If Yammy had a brain they
would reissue them. I don't know anyone who believed that line about
the scarce wood for making the woofer. You can still buy replacement
woofers from Yammy ...

Not that you can buy the amp legally for $300, but our ns-10's are
powered by a Bryston 4b and they mate very well. Last week on ebay a 4b
sold for $550, which is a great deal. It's a wonderful amp with a great
warranty.

And I would def recommend a lot more power for this speaker than a
D-60. (I think the 4b's are 250 per side.)

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com

Fill X

i think the older 4b is better with a bright monitor. The ST seems a little
harsh and the one in the middle (the NRB) just didn't sound as good as either
model to me.

I hafler 500 would be a reasonable ebay pick-up and a decent match.

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

John LeBlanc

"david" wrote in message

If Yammy had a brain they would reissue them.

They'd likely make the same stupid mistake so many other manufacturers are
making: offering a monitor "more accurate" than an NS10.

John

trev

So, can anyone tell me some specific Yamaha amps to consider.
Peace out.
Trevor

Roger W. Norman

Well, one would question what the front end has to do with the back end, but
with $300 bucks you might as well save your money. A lot of people have
gone on and on about NS10s blowing tweeters, but then you usually find some
time after that they've been running 50 watts per channel and trying to hit
110 dB in their listening environment.

SO, some people have decided that the best way to handle the situation is to
put a fuse between the woofer and the tweeter so that when you drive DC into
the tweeter from over-burdening your amp, you'll save the tweeter. I'm of
the firm opinion that you save the music and realize that no speaker likes
to speak "DC" and plan accordingly, like putting up a nicely sized amp with
plenty of headroom for transient peaks and simply get your system to react
in a specific way time after time and you'll never have a blown speaker,
plus the Yammies just might give you some music.

Now when it comes to amplifiers, there are a couple of differences that
might cost more or less, and you'll have to figure that out. Switching
power supplies make for smaller amp packages with greater power, but older
amps might offer sufficient power and require more space. Of my amps I'm
running QSCs and Crests of older lineage, and although they get warm, they
were 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.

But let me make it clear. To use monitors, any monitors, you need to not
just hook the speakers up, but do some preventative thinking and realize
what your space is like, what those speakers will do, and what the amps are
capable of. Once you get those factors under your belt you will find that
you can actually hear very minor differences even with NS10s. Consistency
is the key and knowing where your system has, say, 85 dB peaks on an SPL
Meter (C weighted and slow on an RS meter) means that you'll be able to
measure anything you play on your system with a common reference. If hip
hop artists want to hear it as loud as your system will go, well, that's as
loud as your system will go. Solid sound quality will out in a situation
where volume introduces distortion of an unpleasant nature.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"trev" wrote in message
om...
Hey everybody!
What would be the best amplifier to use with the NS 10's.
I don't want to spend any more than $300. I have a 001, Mackie 1402
mixer, the NS 10's and a 733MHz G4.

Can somebody give me some advice on my situation?

Thanks
Trevor

David Newton

Funny - regarding Scott Dorsey's original response (NS10 + Crown D60).
I'm not usually a lucky person, but a producer friend gave me a pair of
NS10's back in 1988 & I just happened to come by a Crown D60 a few years
later. This combo is still working for me to this day (I did replace the
drivers in the NS10's)!!!!

A few years ago my Crown died at the beginning of a session, so I was
forced (kicking & screaming) to my local Guitar Centre, & impulse-bought
a Hafler something or other. Ok so it got me through the session, but
sonically it ****ing sucked!!!!! When my D60 got fixed, I returned the
sucky Hafler back to GC. The sales weasel asked why I was returning it -
I told him I didn't care for the sound of it! He asked me what I was
using - I said a Crown D60. The newbie-audio prick then started on a
mini-rant implying that I "didn't know what I was doing" using a small
amp to power NS10's! Alarmed yet unfazed, I think I replied something
like "Oh well, I guess I'll never get a job at Guitar Centre then!".

Anyway, didn't they use mere Dynaco ST70's at United Western in the mid
60's????

David Newton.
www.fondamusic.com/rollercoaster

http://www.rollercoasterrecording.com

Caddell M

So, can anyone tell me some specific Yamaha amps to consider.
Peace out.
Trevor

I've been driving mine with a Yamaha P2250 I picked up used for short bucks,
with no complaints.
Mark Caddell
Boston

Burt Jones

I would definitely recommend getting something that has more power
than the NS10's actually require. The seem to sound better with a
hefty amp. I think the Hafler amps are fairly decent for the money.
Maybe look for a used Bryston, although they might be out of your
price range.

Good luck,
Burt Jones
Mediastar Productions

Yamaha RX-V1300 Receiever; Highest volume=zero? Brad Behm Audio Opinions 1 February 23rd 04 07:08 PM
yamaha HTIB system vs Pioneer,toshiba,panasonic etc SS Audio Opinions 1 February 18th 04 06:34 PM
Yamaha vs. Onkyo Shashi General 11 December 4th 03 08:02 PM
What brand of low end receiver to go with (Yamaha, Sony, etc) MarkW General 1 September 15th 03 12:10 PM
Yamaha MG 10/2 mixer vs. similar Behringer and Alesis 8-10 channel mixers dnrg Pro Audio 2 August 12th 03 12:59 AM