Ryan

Bob Cain wrote in message ...

It wasn't just to get you to jump through hoops, Ryan. I'm
truly interested in how a musically creative mind would
specify the problem in some detail. That's good input for
the more academic oriented folks who are working and
thinking at the computational level.

Well, being both a musician and an engineer's son, I'd have to say
that the real work would be done by the mathmaticians. I think I
adequately described the problem, but then again, since I know exactly
what I want, it is hard for me to evaluate wether or not I expressed
it. I'm sure your old english teacher went over this phenomenon once
or twice. If there is something about the description (not the math)
that you think needs a little more flesh, name it and I will further
describe.

The biggest problem with all of this that I see is how to
specify in detail what's in the music that can be considered
features worth thinking about extracting algoritmically. If
a human can't get real down with that part then there is
little hope of implementing anything useful.

Humans aren't so absolute. Give us some choices however, and we can
easily narrow it down.

Granted, for
the non-technically but strongly musically inclined it could
be a very frustrating experience to see how difficult it is
to reduce things that seem obvious to her to terms that have
any hope of an impelementation, but you gotta start somewhere.

If I understood math better I would probably be able to reduce it a
little more myself. As it is though, I think we will have to work
together for optimum results.
Bob Cain

Ryan wrote:

Well, being both a musician and an engineer's son, I'd have to say
that the real work would be done by the mathmaticians.

I disagree. The hard part is the definition. It isn't
going to be math, at any rate, it will be algorithm and
there is a huge difference. Elements of math will, of
course, enter into it and what tools there are in that
regard need to be understood but putting them all together
in useful procedures that illustrate the definition is
probably going to be a lot easier than setting down those
definitions in an objectively meaningful way in the first place.

I think I
adequately described the problem, but then again, since I know exactly
what I want, it is hard for me to evaluate wether or not I expressed
it.

Exactly. Makes perfect sense to you.

I'm sure your old english teacher went over this phenomenon once
or twice. If there is something about the description (not the math)
that you think needs a little more flesh, name it and I will further
describe.

Start with some kind of objective measure of the subjective
that is in your head.

If I understood math better I would probably be able to reduce it a
little more myself.

I strongly urge you to consider that path. Knowing what you
want out of it will slant your math education in what could
be very productive ways.

As it is though, I think we will have to work
together for optimum results.

I have less hope for that. Our languages are too dissimilar
(and I'm probably way too old to learn yours.) :-)

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Scott Dorsey

Ryan wrote:
Bob Cain wrote in message ...

It wasn't just to get you to jump through hoops, Ryan. I'm
truly interested in how a musically creative mind would
specify the problem in some detail. That's good input for
the more academic oriented folks who are working and
thinking at the computational level.

Well, being both a musician and an engineer's son, I'd have to say
that the real work would be done by the mathmaticians. I think I
adequately described the problem, but then again, since I know exactly
what I want, it is hard for me to evaluate wether or not I expressed
it. I'm sure your old english teacher went over this phenomenon once
or twice. If there is something about the description (not the math)
that you think needs a little more flesh, name it and I will further
describe.

My suggestion: get Octave, which is a public domain Matlab clone. Load
some samples into it. Start doing some ffts on some of the samples and
looking at plots. There will also be things in there for waterfall plots,
correlation, all kinds of nifty things to play with. I think they may also
have some wavelet decomposition stuff, which is another way of taking
waveforms apart.