Alex

Default Yamaha MusicCAST Hard Drive Uprgrade Info

This is just an FYI post.

According to Yamaha you have to bring the the MusicCAST into a service
location to have the hard drive upgraded, but my friend and I have just
learned that isn't really the case.

If you are willing to loose your data (we weren't able to find any hard
drive imaging software that would address the drive format used by the
MusicCAST, and we tried software from Seagate, Disk Image 2002 , and Ghost
Corporate 7.0), you can just pop in a larger drive, then use the "MusicCAST
Software Version Up Disc" CD to "bless" the new drive. (You can order this
CD from Yamaha, but they don't let you download it)

When you boot up the MusiCAST for the first time after installing the new
drive the screen will display SET RECOVERY CD. At that point insert the
"MusicCAST Software Version Up Disc", and let it do it's thing.

We found that the first time we did this we saw a disk write error when it
got to writing the FONT to the disk. So we restarted the MusicCAST, and let
it run through the process again, and it worked fine. We think this may
have happened because the new drive had a partition on it already from the
manufacturer, and that the first cycle through cleared the partition and the
second time running the Version Up Disc actually setup everything on the
drive.

I hope this post helps anyone looking to upgrade their MusicCAST at home and
not involve other people or companies.

Alex.

Standard Disclaimer: I have no idea what doing this will do to your
warranty, so be carefull.