Matt Lobegeiger

Default '83 corolla wiring?

Hi all,
I'm trying to install a pioneer tape deck/tuner into my 83 corolla wagon.
I've installed car stereos before but never into a car this old or
complicated. It currently has a factory AM tuner in the top of the dash and
a separate cassette player (without a radio) at the bottom of the dash. I'm
going to leave the AM tuner there and take out the old cassette deck. Has
anyone replaced a setup like this before? I'm having a few problems and all
the wires are either blue, blue and white or blue and red so it's hard to
tell what they all do. The two units appear to be in series rather than
parallel (ie. the AM tuner is wired directly to the car and then tape deck
is wired from the tuner) and this complicates things.

A couple of specific questions: 1. The car appears to have common ground
speaker wiring, does that sound normal for a car of this age/type? 2. Being
an old car it doesn't have a constant power wire, what's the best way to get
constant power? Run a wire directly from the battery or hook up to something
with constant power like the clock? 3. I'll probably totally rewire the
speakers to avoid the common grounding issue there, but is there a way to
identify the main grounding wire for the power supply?

Thanks a lot for any info. I've looked through a lot of sites but none are
particularly helpful apart from the basic stuff. If anyone can recommend any
sites or forums that would be great too.

thanks heaps

matt

Some supplementary info if it helps:
It's a 1983 KE70 Corolla wagon, 2 speakers. The replacement head unit is a
Pioneer KEH-1060. The two existing units appear to be factory units (they
are both branded 'toyota by philips'). As I said, they appear to be wired in
series. If I take out the AM tuner, the tape deck doesn't work. All the blue
wires seem funny to me, I'm wondering if it's been rewired at some stage for
some reason. I've identified the ACC power wire and the left and right
positive speaker wires but that's about it. The speakers aren't really an
issue, I can rewire those. The main problems I have are getting constant
power and finding the ground wire for the power supply.

---

Matt Lobegeiger

OK, I found a site that answered one of my questions. I can just make my own
grounding wire and screw it to the chassis. So assuming I rewire the
speakers I just need a constant power wire. So am I better off running a
wire directly from the battery or running a wire from the clock or internal
light? Or does it not make a difference?

I'd still like to hear from anyone who has had experience with 2 units in
series.

thanks

matt

"Matt Lobegeiger" wrote in message
[...]

VW Factory CD Changer - Wiring Diagram? Kevin Gibbons Car Audio 1 June 18th 04 02:12 AM
Wiring for component "drawers"? Michael Volow General 2 March 13th 04 03:46 AM
Honda Acura external amp wiring (repost) Martik Car Audio 1 March 9th 04 07:56 AM
Acura/Bose Amp wiring Martik Car Audio 1 March 7th 04 02:43 AM
wiring a used DVA-5205 to test? Robert Drake Car Audio 1 August 14th 03 04:09 AM