Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] victim_of_hype@yahoo.com is offline

Default Infinity IRS Sigma EMIM - What Should I Do About This???

Take a look: http://tinyurl.com/gdppg

Has anyone seen this before?

Whatever this is, it came one very rapidly. I inspect these speakers
often and this just became apparent over the past 2 weeks.

Strangely, it doesn’t appear to have any impact on the sound. I ran
sweep tones at 90DB and both speakers sounds just fine.

What, if anything, should I do about it?

Thanks,

VoH
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

wrote:
Take a look:
http://tinyurl.com/gdppg

Looks like ozone attack on the foam damping material. Which is endemic
of a certain generation of speakers, all makers, many models.

My advice would be to use a soft brush to remove the loose material
(and it will continue until it is all gone) and hope that the
deteriorated foam does not serve as a critical gasket, spacer or
vibration dampener under operating conditions. If it does, you will
have to do the functional equivalent of replacing a normal cone-speaker
surround.. which fail in the same way, usually suddenly and all-at-once
as you experienced.

Infinity is still with us, so they may be aware of this and have a
ready fix available.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mike Gilmour Mike Gilmour is offline

wrote in message
Take a look: http://tinyurl.com/gdppg

Has anyone seen this before?

Whatever this is, it came one very rapidly. I inspect these speakers
often and this just became apparent over the past 2 weeks.

Strangely, it doesn't appear to have any impact on the sound. I ran
sweep tones at 90DB and both speakers sounds just fine.

What, if anything, should I do about it?

Thanks,

VoH

The coating that was applied on to the magnets is now peeling. The action is
to disassemble the unit, remove the remainder of the coating and replace
with an equally thin film of corrosion inhibitor. The magnets are powerful
and disassembly and reassembly should be done as per instructions.
(Somewhere I have that information - I'll look it out).

Regards,

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] victim_of_hype@yahoo.com is offline

On 6 Oct 2006 18:30:19 GMT, "Mike Gilmour"
wrote:

The coating that was applied on to the magnets is now peeling. The action is
to disassemble the unit, remove the remainder of the coating and replace
with an equally thin film of corrosion inhibitor. The magnets are powerful
and disassembly and reassembly should be done as per instructions.
(Somewhere I have that information - I'll look it out).

Much obliged Mike, that information would be most helpful.

Regards,

VoH
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message
Take a look: http://tinyurl.com/gdppg

Has anyone seen this before?

Whatever this is, it came one very rapidly. I inspect these speakers
often and this just became apparent over the past 2 weeks.

Strangely, it doesn't appear to have any impact on the sound. I ran
sweep tones at 90DB and both speakers sounds just fine.

What, if anything, should I do about it?

Thanks,

VoH

I have located the pdf Infinity Service Bulletin regarding EMIM surface
peeling from magnet assembly and how to rectify the problem, will send to
you direct.

Mike

Infinity EMIM advice r Marketplace 0 September 2nd 04 06:30 PM
FS Infinity RS 2.5 Emit Emim RARE speakers JBL Cryptic T Marketplace 0 December 5th 03 04:56 AM
Please kindly advise Bluebook value Infinity RS 2.5 EMIT ans EMIM Cryptic T Audio Opinions 0 December 5th 03 01:19 AM
FS: INFINITY RS III Speakers Ken Drescher Marketplace 0 August 30th 03 10:29 PM
FS: Infinity RS III Speakers Ken Drescher Marketplace 0 August 26th 03 02:53 AM