Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] asnowfall@gmail.com is offline

Default Returning "Bose Wave Radio II", altarnative suggestion please...

I have "Bose Wave Radio II" and it has too much of bass; and it does
not even let me adjust EQ and I am returning it.
I wanted to listen to Quality sound in a small room and I went to BOSE,
but I am dissapointed with their bass sound.
Otherwise, Wave Radio II, is a great system. I know it is expensive.

Bose "Acoustic WaveŽ music system II"...
I was thinking of trying "Acoustic WaveŽ music system II", and I read
same complaint of too much of bass and no EQ.

Please suggest...
I am looking for a compact system not bigger than "Acoustic WaveŽ
music system II"; and if it is a single unit with speakers built in to
it that would be great.
I live in a small room and can not have bunch of speakers etc.. :-) But
still want to get quality sound. I am flexible about the price.

So, please suggest a system altrnative to BOSE and also one with
Quality sound.

TIA
Ramesh

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] victim_of_hype@yahoo.com is offline

On 25 Nov 2006 16:03:43 GMT, "
wrote:

So, please suggest a system altrnative to BOSE and also one with
Quality sound.

Tivoli - http://tinyurl.com/vo2b4

A little pricey, but remarkably good fidelity for the footprint.

VoH
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

wrote:
[...]

Cambridge Soundworks makes a Bose alternative--even costs a little
less. General opinion seems to be that it's a little better than the
Bose, but that may not mean much.

Basically, it's really tough to get good sound in a small package.
That's because of science. Your other options would be a good quality
minisystem (Denon, Yamaha, and Onkyo all make them.) Moving up the food
chain, Parasound makes some half-rack separates that you could pair
with a small speaker pair.

Best of all (sorry, this is stream-of-conscience posting) might be a
pair of active speakers (i.e., with built-in amps, available at pro
audio shops) and an iPod or other MP3 player, or even a portable CD
player. Somewhat larger than the Bose, but all the size will be in the
speakers, where it counts.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

With respect, your parameters are difficult. Look for a Tivoli, KLH or
Cambridge Audio system using the KLK-style concentric tuner.

A KLH Model 21 comes to mind. FAR cheaper than Bose...

No Highs, no Lows. Must be Bose.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] asnowfall@gmail.com is offline

Thanks for trying to comeup with solutions for my questions.
I agree that my requirements in the area of quality; and restrictions
about the volume/size made no sense :-) Few years ago I had read that
it is hard to get good quality sound using tiny instruments. But in
recent years, I also heard people saying that it is possible to get
same good quality using small units and I guess that is not that easy.

After posting the question in newsgroup, I educated myself about the
role of recievers & speakers; and that changed my views and I shed my
restrictions about size/volume inch by inch :-)

Today I purchased the following. Please let me know If I have blundred
in my selection, I have the option of returning.

1) Pioneer A/V Rx VSX-516-K/S for $120 at www.Circuitcity.com
2) Philips CD/DVD/MP3 player for $30
3) Klipsch B-2 speakers for $243. I placed the order in
www.bestbuy.com and tomarrow I will pick it up. I considered Klipsch
S-2 before deciding on B-2. Though S-2 looked small, I thought it would
take more space when compared to B-2.

Pioneer VSX-516-K/S is a A/V Reciever, and I am planning to use it as a
Stereo reciever. I will ask if I have any more questions about
configuring A/V reciever to ignore home theater options.

Regards,
Ramesh

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mike Gilmour Mike Gilmour is offline

wrote in message
On 25 Nov 2006 16:03:43 GMT, "
wrote:

So, please suggest a system altrnative to BOSE and also one with
Quality sound.

Tivoli - http://tinyurl.com/vo2b4

A little pricey, but remarkably good fidelity for the footprint.

VoH

Anyone know how the newer (all in one) Tivoli sound compared to the older
model with separate speaker boxes for stereo, subwoofer and CD player? I
have the older model with the CD player unit which I like very much for the
good sound quality and the fact that you can space the speakers as you wish,
the downside is the FM receiver frequency drifts from cold but pretty stable
after about 10 minutes (irritating even then).

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

wrote:
1) Pioneer A/V Rx VSX-516-K/S for $120 at
www.Circuitcity.com

$120? Last time I saw it, the price was $180. Well done!

2) Philips CD/DVD/MP3 player for $30

Probably as good as any.

3) Klipsch B-2 speakers for $243. I placed the order in
www.bestbuy.com and tomarrow I will pick it up. I considered Klipsch
S-2 before deciding on B-2. Though S-2 looked small, I thought it would
take more space when compared to B-2.

There are a number of good, small speakers on the market, and you might
have done better to shop around and listen a bit before settling on
these. (I'm not panning them, because I've never heard them. I just
mean that you might find something you like better.)

Pioneer VSX-516-K/S is a A/V Reciever, and I am planning to use it as a
Stereo reciever. I will ask if I have any more questions about
configuring A/V reciever to ignore home theater options.

Should be pretty easy to set up for stereo use.

Overall, I'd say you've done quite well for $400. Certainly an
improvement on a table radio.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
record hunter record hunter is offline

Mike Gilmour wrote:
wrote in message
On 25 Nov 2006 16:03:43 GMT, "
wrote:

So, please suggest a system altrnative to BOSE and also one with
Quality sound.

Tivoli - http://tinyurl.com/vo2b4

A little pricey, but remarkably good fidelity for the footprint.

VoH

Anyone know how the newer (all in one) Tivoli sound compared to the older
model with separate speaker boxes for stereo, subwoofer and CD player? I
have the older model with the CD player unit which I like very much for the
good sound quality and the fact that you can space the speakers as you wish,
the downside is the FM receiver frequency drifts from cold but pretty stable
after about 10 minutes (irritating even then).

Does it mangle your CDs as you pop them in and out?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mike Gilmour Mike Gilmour is offline

"Does it mangle your CDs as you pop them in and out?"

Not that I'm aware of. The Tivoli stays in the kitchen so it's mainly cdr's
being played. I've not had any problems with mangled CD's so far. The CD
insert/eject mechanism is a bit eager though and non too gentle either, it
grabs the CD with unnecessary haste.

Mike

"record hunter" wrote in message
Mike Gilmour wrote:
wrote in message
On 25 Nov 2006 16:03:43 GMT, "
wrote:

So, please suggest a system altrnative to BOSE and also one with
Quality sound.

Tivoli - http://tinyurl.com/vo2b4

A little pricey, but remarkably good fidelity for the footprint.

VoH

Anyone know how the newer (all in one) Tivoli sound compared to the older
model with separate speaker boxes for stereo, subwoofer and CD player? I
have the older model with the CD player unit which I like very much for
the
good sound quality and the fact that you can space the speakers as you
wish,
the downside is the FM receiver frequency drifts from cold but pretty
stable
after about 10 minutes (irritating even then).

Does it mangle your CDs as you pop them in and out?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] rives@gte.net is offline

Boston Acoustics makes a table radio.

More than the Cambridge but I think you can get it for less than the
Bose.

btw, how does the Boston Acoustics unit sound?

On 26 Nov 2006 03:03:55 GMT, "bob" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] allaboutchemistry@hotmail.com is offline

wrote:
On 25 Nov 2006 16:03:43 GMT, "
wrote:

So, please suggest a system altrnative to BOSE and also one with
Quality sound.

Tivoli -
http://tinyurl.com/vo2b4

A little pricey, but remarkably good fidelity for the footprint.

I haven't heard or seen the following in person, but Polk now offers a
combo radio CD/DVD/XM one-piece unit, called the I-Sonic, for $600.
See:

http://isonic.polkaudio.com/?WT.srch=1

VoH

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Fred DeRosa Fred DeRosa is offline

wrote in message ...
[...]

You are returning a Bose Wave Radio? I heard from Paul Harvey that this was
the best sounding system - period. Oh the humanity!