Default Computer based Mixing and Recording

Hi all, I have been a live sound tech for 7 years and am looking to
get into computer based recording and mixing. I only have about a
thousand dollars to spend (after the initial power book purchase) to
spend on a firewire interface and software. Any ideas?????

I am looking to completly bypass the mackie sound board that I have
been using.

Thank you ahead of time for your input....

bohemian

Same here, but I am considering the mackie onyx 1620 with firewire
option which i think can be had for about 1K... see above thread....
looking forward to this one! Peter

On 20 Feb 2005 17:30:13 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi all, I have been a live sound tech for 7 years and am looking to
get into computer based recording and mixing. I only have about a
thousand dollars to spend (after the initial power book purchase) to
spend on a firewire interface and software. Any ideas?????

I am looking to completly bypass the mackie sound board that I have
been using.

Thank you ahead of time for your input....

I need to be able to record 12-16 tracks max

I am not really knowledgable with any of the software out there.

I need to be able to record 12-16 tracks max

I am not really knowledgable with any of the software out there.

I was thinking about the firepod from prosonus which comes with cubase
le, but for every 10 people I talk to I get 10 different answers.

I'm sorry kind of new at this newsgroup thing.

Anyway that is 12-16 TOTAL inputs needed.

thanks for your help

I'll check it out thanks

Question??? Why do I need a lightpipe??(exactly please)

And where can I get one.

Planing on using the laptop for school (i'm on a tight budget). So it
needs to be done on the laptop.

Thank you for the info on the lightpipe

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
ups.com

Question??? Why do I need a lightpipe??(exactly please)

To get more than 8 analog inputs with the Motu box that was recomended.

AFAIK Motu does have a 24 -input box but the inputs are all line-level. If
you want to use mics with it, you will also need to use a mixing console
(route inserts or direct outs to the interface) or additional mic preamps.

And where can I get one.

What you may want is a 8-input extender with a lightpipe output, if you want
to use the MOTU 8-input device that was recommended. One such unit is the
Behringer ADA8000.

EricK

Arny Krueger wrote:
snip
AFAIK Motu does have a 24 -input box but the inputs are all line-level. If
you want to use mics with it, you will also need to use a mixing console
(route inserts or direct outs to the interface) or additional mic preamps.

MOTU has the 24i/o for 24 analog i/o. It is a PCI base device however,
and the OP was looking for a Firewire solution. Otherwise, yeah, the
24i/o is a great solution for PCI based interfaces.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

I was thinking about the firepod from prosonus which comes with cubase
le, but for every 10 people I talk to I get 10 different answers.

That's because there are actually about 30 different answers that make about
equal sense, given what we know so far. You need to ask 20 more people to
get the whole picture! ;-)

I only need stereo main outputs and then a set of control room or
monitor outputs. anything else would just be icing on the cake.

p.s. earlier I said I was interested in the firpod by presonus. Is the
motu 828 better out of the box or is it just more widely used.

Also if anyone has used the firepod and wants to e-mail me directly on
their impression it would be great.

jackfish

In article .com,
" wrote:

I only need stereo main outputs and then a set of control room or
monitor outputs. anything else would just be icing on the cake.

p.s. earlier I said I was interested in the firpod by presonus. Is the
motu 828 better out of the box or is it just more widely used.

Also if anyone has used the firepod and wants to e-mail me directly on
their impression it would be great.

You could also check out the new Traveler by MOTU instead of the
828mkII. I finally got my hands on one and they're about $900US. 4 mic
preamps, up to 192khz recording, and a really flexible routing matrix.
dale

the mackie onyx
mr rivers is doing a review of them and has indicate that multi
tracking is possible. but they are stereo only for computer out
interface. you are used to mackies and it will introduce only a few
small new technology needs into your endeavor.

dale

yeah, but one of the reason's I want to do this is because the Mackie
sucks!!!!!!!! There is a constant buzzing and in the five years we
have used this board it has never performed up to any decent standards.

we don't have a ground loop issue. One of the guys that use to do
sound for us would bring in his yamaha board and use it instead of our
mackie. The issues that we were having would then disappear. so by
process of elimination the problem lies with our board, but the cost of
a new one or the cost of repair is not high on the budget meetings
agenda.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

wrote in message oups.com...
we don't have a ground loop issue. One of the guys that use to do
sound for us would bring in his yamaha board and use it instead of our
mackie. The issues that we were having would then disappear. so by
process of elimination the problem lies with our board, but the cost of
a new one or the cost of repair is not high on the budget meetings
agenda.

You either have a ground issue, a service issue on the Mackie or
a self created interfacing issue. I would entertain hearing what your
"issues" are and with what model and age of Mackie though...