Pierre de le Sewer

Default The problem with Linux and digital audio.

Astute observers will notice that Linux stallwarts like Rick
) conviently ignore Linux's obvious lack of plugins to
master the sound.
Dumping a vinyl platter to hard disk is a simple matter, even for an
obtuse operating system like Linux.
Making that vinyl sound decent via mastering tools, click/pop/hiss
elimination is a totally different matter.
And finally producing a glass master under Linux is even more
difficult.
Linux lusers like to ignore that last part.

As far as ease of use, Linux is a disaster.
One must use Jack and Ardour, which only runs under root which is a
security violation of the worst part.
Then there is lack of documentation.
Lack of plugins.
Lack of acceptence in standard studios.

Can you imagine walking into a studio and claiming "I have all these
tunes recorded under Ardour and want to master them"...

Duhhhhhhh!!

No, Linux is great as a tool for the geeks, but to pretend it is ready
for a digital audio studio is a farce.
I agree with Scott, get an Ampex.............
Pierre
Scott Dorsey

Pierre de le Sewer wrote:
Astute observers will notice that Linux stallwarts like Rick
) conviently ignore Linux's obvious lack of plugins to
master the sound.
Dumping a vinyl platter to hard disk is a simple matter, even for an
obtuse operating system like Linux.
Making that vinyl sound decent via mastering tools, click/pop/hiss
elimination is a totally different matter.
And finally producing a glass master under Linux is even more
difficult.
Linux lusers like to ignore that last part.

Actually, doing disk images to send off to the pressing plant under Linux
isn't bad at all. It's true there aren't many processing plugins, but
the ability to do something approaching a PMCD is probably better with
cdwrite than anything short of the Sonic system. If you just want to make
DDP files to put on Exabyte for the plant, cdwrite is pretty good.

Personally, I don't use Linux because they don't have a 16-bit port
for my DEC machine, like NetBSD does. I'd say NetBSD was a truly
superior system, but this isn't the place for meaningless flame wars
like that. This is rec.audio.pro.
kone

As far as ease of use, Linux is a disaster.
No, Linux is great as a tool for the geeks, but to pretend it is ready
for a digital audio studio is a farce.

People interested in freedom run Linux.

kone

Kadaitcha Man wrote:

kone wrote:

People interested in freedom run Linux.

Such as Al Queda, North Korea et al.

Kadaitcha = moron

reddred

"Pierre de le Sewer" wrote in message
om...
Astute observers will notice that Linux stallwarts like Rick
) conviently ignore Linux's obvious lack of plugins to
master the sound.
Dumping a vinyl platter to hard disk is a simple matter, even for an
obtuse operating system like Linux.
Making that vinyl sound decent via mastering tools, click/pop/hiss
elimination is a totally different matter.
And finally producing a glass master under Linux is even more
difficult.
Linux lusers like to ignore that last part.

I just love digitizing my old vinyl and having glass masters made out of it.
After I DUMP a wave file into some masterin' tools and try to make it
sound like a CD, I always have a glass master made.

As far as ease of use, Linux is a disaster.
One must use Jack and Ardour, which only runs under root which is a
security violation of the worst part.

Yeah all those guys hanging around my studio and logging onto my DAW at
root, they're just coming and going, they could do anything... oh, jesus,
just like the ****ing windows boxes...

Can you imagine walking into a studio and claiming "I have all these
tunes recorded under Ardour and want to master them"...

Well, you could imagine walking into a studio....

jb

Peter Larsen

reddred wrote:

I just love digitizing my old vinyl and having glass masters
made out of it. After I DUMP a wave file into some masterin'
tools and try to make it sound like a CD, I always have a glass
master made.

If ya don't want follow ups like that then stop posting linux advocacy
to an audio production newsgroup. Linux *will* get used as the base OS
for audio production as soon as it is cost efficient to so do. It will
not get used as long as the cost of implementation in terms of man hours
used is so unacceptably large. TCO is not just about the price of the
software, it is also about the cost of the operator.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen