Blind Joni

Default (OT)..... What Would You Do With $87 Billion Dollars??

6% = HUGE..got it.

-12 dBFS

LOL!
John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Blind Joni

My brother has an electric Rav 4

Saw one of these this week..how is it to drive?

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Blind Joni

This is because we can not compete because of labor unions artificially
inflating wages in the US for UNSKILLED workers. Since when did the
guy tightening lug nuts in an automotive plant become middle class?

I guess you think society would be better off with this guy & his kids living
in his car on the edge of town because you think he's worth $3.75 an hour.

I think his point was that by negotiating a wage that he considers inflated,
the worker has no reason to become more skilled..unless of course he WANTED to
but we all seem to have let this slip out of the discussion.I think you can
only MAKE someone want something..if they are not naturally inclined to do
so... is by making it worth their time and effort

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Blind Joni

People are in too much of a hurry these days. Thats the trouble with all
them young whippersnappers..

I haven't snapped a whip in years..although I watched a juggler guy at my gym
snapping one the other day..he hurt his hearing when he snapped too close.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Blind Joni

The truth, as is always the case with
truth, is considerably more complex, but a critical investigation doesn't
suit
the shallow mind. Suffice to say, for every instance of an individual not
choosing self betterment there are equal numbers who are denied the
opportunities at self improvement, due to racial discrimination, lack of
economic resources, lack of transportation, lack of child care, simply put,
lack. Blaming the poor for their poverty is convenient, simplistic & typical
of
the arrogance of the selfish.

And who or what decides how we fix all these things..again assuming that it's
possible..which of course we cannot know. I would hope all injustice could be
eliminated but I need a context in which all these things can be remedied.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Blind Joni

Ethically you are right, It;s not our place to tell, but is it in you
to support a regime like that.
You are what you support through your purchases. So it all comes back
to an individual's decisions, what type of world that they surround
themselves with

One of the side effects of our lifestyle is that we are busy. And back to
China..are THEY going to be globally conscious when it comes to expanding
industry to feed billions. I don't think so ..and for this reason alone many
arguments about global economics and environment would appear moot. Sad but
true.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
James Boyk

I'm not picking here but to examine the language a little...reading your quote
I would deduce that the problem is an insurance problem...no?

Isn't the problem rather that the insurance companies control medical care?

James Boyk

James Boyk

...I believe that Fusion IS the future.

With no controlled fusion having ever been demonstrated that comes even remotely
close to generating net energy? Dream on!

James Boyk

Justin Ulysses Morse

Joel Embry wrote:

I hear they are working on a hybrid SUV of all things.

I think it's a very good idea. If people insist on buying ridiculously
oversized and wasteful FTWs (to use the term coined by somebody here)
then they might as well be the most efficient ridiculously oversized
and wasteful FTWs possible. Sure, it would make more sense to slap
consumers in the head and make them quit buying such idiotic products,
but that's harder to do than making a more fuel-efficient vehicle.

There was a report on NPR the other day about San Diego (I think)
trying to get ethanol-burning cars into use. They interviewed one
consumer who said he was happy to own the Ethanol-burning Ford
Explorer. He was glad to be doing his part to help the environment. I
don't know if the interviewer slapped him or not.

ulysses
nmm

On Tue, Sep 9, 2003 11:48 pm, Rob Adelman
wrote:

LeBaron & Alrich wrote:

To have enough power to go the distance and speed you need,
they could weigh tons.

Prius has about 1000 lbs. of batteries aboard.

But that is a hybrid, with a gas engine. A true electric needs much more
storage capacity.

Except for the Peirce Arrow that Tesla put the electric motor in that ran
off ambient electricity.

I've only read accounts of this.. there are no schematics for what he did.

Scott Dorsey

Blind Joni wrote:
All I have to say is that there is nothing like being taken to the hospital
with blood gushing out of your arm and being told that you'll have to go
to another hospital because your insurance is not good enough to make you
realize just how godawful health care in this country really is.

I'm not picking here but to examine the language a little...reading your quote
I would deduce that the problem is an insurance problem...no?

In great part, yes. But high quality care that people can't actually get
isn't high quality care at all. And a lot of that has to do with the insane
legal costs in the health care industry, but certainly not all of it.

My town no longer has any obstetricians... you have go to out of town to
deliver a baby. Just cost too much for them to keep their doors open.

James Boyk

James Boyk wrote: With no controlled fusion having ever been
demonstrated that comes even remotely close to generating net
energy? Dream on!

Scott Dorsey wrote: What about the sun?

Hardly "controlled," eh?

James Boyk

Tom Paterson

From: James Boyk

Scott Dorsey wrote: What about the sun?

Hardly "controlled," eh?

Sounds like a good job for the Republicans. --Tom Paterson
LeBaron & Alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

James Boyk wrote:
...I believe that Fusion IS the future.

With no controlled fusion having ever been demonstrated that comes even
remotely close to generating net energy? Dream on!

What about the sun?

Every time I try to plug in the cord my wristwaatch gets fried.

--
ha
ScotFraser

Possible analogy?
Does having car insurance affect the ability of the body shop to repair a
fender?

Incorrect analogy. Having car insurance affects the likelihood of a car owner
getting the dent fixed. The body shop doesn't have the problem. Neither does
the Mayo clinic have a problem performing a heart transplant. Your not having
health insurance, however, does affect your ability to have a heart transplant.

I believe that this is much less than many European countries..not that it
matters really.

They have huge unemployment as well. The point is, 6% unemployment is not
indicative of a healthy economy. 2% to 3% is generally considered functionally
full employment in a healthy economy.

First, I believe that the "government" sees the value of education..

If we are equating the term "Government" with the current administration, I
would vigorously disagree with the above statement. Regardless of what is said
about "No child left behind" the result of the Republican agenda is a massive
defunding of education.

.how can
they "insure" what you ask.

That one's very easy. One can insure that the cost of an education doesn't
prevent anybody desiring education from obtaining it.

I agree it would be the way to go but parents can't
"insure" their own kids will act responsibility..how the hell you gonna
"control" what millions of people want?

I'm not talking about any sort of control of what people want. I'm saying
people who DO want college education can get college education if society
believes education is important. If society believes education is only for the
upper half of the economic spectrum, then we have what we have today, i.e. a
society of ill-educated voters who are underequipped to deal with current
complexities.

I wish it would come to pass but seriously..on what planet in which dimension
can you see this happening? I'm sure each of us know people personally that
would **** up this proposal.

All you do is make sure that those who want to educate themselves can afford
college. This is really very easy.

Scott Fraser

Steve

Well, here is the score so far......these people may qualify for a
chat room.

27 blindjoni
14 kurtalbershartd
13 nmm
10 scott frasier
10 johnLeblanc
10 PStaimler
9 RobAdleman
8 Joel (something)
8 LeBaron&Alrich
7 William Sommerwerch
------
116 Posts

I love you guys, but this subject was done within the first 10 posts.
Refrain, don't reprise, reprise, reprise, reprise..........for freakin
ever.

Numbers and spelling are approximate...........

Steve
William Sommerwerck

I'd think liberals would be more interested in controlling things!

What about the sun?

Hardly "controlled," eh?

Sounds like a good job for the Republicans.

John LeBlanc

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
Well, here is the score so far......these people may qualify for a
chat room.

You actually wasted time out of your life to count these things up? Hey, Steve,
we'll keep a seat warm for you. g

John

Charles Thomas

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

I'd think liberals would be more interested in controlling things!

Basically confirming my hypothesis (I actually wrote it all out once on
a spreadsheet, it was very complex) that liberals and conservatives have
very different ideas about what those words mean.

CT

James Boyk

Charles Thomas wrote:
... (I actually wrote it all out once on a spreadsheet,

it was very complex) that liberals and conservatives have
very different ideas about what those words mean.

I've discovered a remarkable book which may interest participants. It's by Prof.
George Lakoff, and is called "Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives
Think, Second Edition. (See
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bi...i/00/14819.ctl .)

I've just begun reading it, so I'm not endorsing it (or the reverse); but I can
say that the first three pages have revolutionized my view of the subject (as
happened w/ the first 3 of "The Enigma of Japanese Power," by Karel van
Wolferen, some years ago); and that it looks like the first thing I've seen that
will actually cast Light on the subject instead of adding to the bonfire.

Publisher's blurb (and by the way, "cognitive science" is real science. It must
be: my son's majoring in it--and history--at Lakoff's school!):

In this classic text, the first full-scale application of cognitive science to
politics, George Lakoff analyzes the unconscious and rhetorical worldviews of
liberals and conservatives, discovering radically different but remarkably
consistent conceptions of morality on both the left and right. For this new
edition, Lakoff adds a preface and an afterword extending his observations to
major ideological conflicts since the book's original publication, from the
impeachment of Bill Clinton to the 2000 presidential election and its aftermath.

"[An] unusual mix of judicious scholarship, tendentious journalism and
inflammatory wake-up call."--Editors' Recommendation, San Francisco Chronicle

"Lakoff, the cognitive linguist, understands 'how' you understand. In Moral
Politics, [he] deftly applies that seemingly arcane understanding to the heart
of American politics. . . . His commitment is strong and deep, but his language
is far from the rhetoric usually associated with political partisanship. . . .
Even those who disagree with him will profit deeply from encountering his
challenging ideas." --Paul Rosenberg, Christian Science Monitor

Table of Contents

Preface
Acknowledgments

Part I: Introduction
1. The Minds and Politics
2. The Worldview Problem for American Politics

Part II: Moral Conceptual Systems
3. Experiential Morality
4. Keeping the Moral Books
5. Strict Father Morality
6. Nurturant Parent Morality

Part III: From Family-Based Morality to Politics
7. Why We Need a New Understanding of American Politics
8. The Nature of the Model
9. Moral Categories in Politics

Part IV: The Hard Issues
10. Social Programs and Taxes
11. Crime and the Death Penalty
12. Regulation and the Environment
13. The Culture Wars: From Affirmative Action to the Arts
14. Two Models of Christianity
15. Abortion
16. How Can You Love Your Country and Hate Your Government?

Part V: Summing Up
17. Varieties of Liberals and Conservatives
18. Pathologies, Stereotypes, and Distortions
19. Can There Be a Politics without Family Values?

Part VI: Who's Right? And How Can You Tell?
20. Nonideological Reasons for Being a Liberal
21. Raising Real Children
22. The Human Mind
23. Basic Humanity

Epilogue: Problems for Public Discourse
Afterword
References

The University of Chicago Press

Charles Thomas

In article ,
James Boyk wrote:

Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives
Think

Wow. The table of contents is almost identical to the categories on the
spreadsheet I was talking about.

CT
Ben Bradley

Scott wrote:

His advocacy of nuclear fusion research has almost singlehandedly resulted
in fusion research now getting categorized as a loonie idea among the
political set due to his association with it. This is bad, because nuclear
fusion technology may well have a real future.

I haven't followed what LaRouche has been saying, but if I
accidentally hear him (or any politician, whether mainstream or flake)
state an opinion on something like fusion, it won't sway my opinion
either way. I'm sorry to hear that something that might be good gets
discredited just because he endorses it.

--scott

In rec.audio.pro, James Boyk wrote:

...I believe that Fusion IS the future.

With no controlled fusion having ever been demonstrated that comes even remotely
close to generating net energy? Dream on!

Fusion research has been going on for 30 to 40 years (wasn't there
supposed to be fusion plants in the '70's or '80's or so?), and I'm
sure the total research money spent is many billions. Making
controlled fusion practical for electric power generation appears to
be a substantially harder problem than believed/predicted. Will it
ever be practical?
I'm sure the research has generated some neat spin-offs, perhaps
even enough to cover the investments, but that wasn't the point...

James Boyk

Tom Paterson

From: "William Sommerwerck"

I'd think liberals would be more interested in controlling things!

Homeland Security is a liberal agenda item?

Hey, speaking of control, did you notice how the Conservative Media hushed up
the Neil Bush divorce? He admitted to having sexual intercourse "outside the
marriage". Now there's a notable loss of control! --TP

Twist Turner

I'd build a house out of Pultecs :-)

http://www.vintagemicsales.com

nmm

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 4:22 pm, Tom Paterson
From: "William Sommerwerck"

I'd think liberals would be more interested in controlling things!

Homeland Security is a liberal agenda item?

Hey, speaking of control, did you notice how the Conservative Media hushed
up
the Neil Bush divorce? He admitted to having sexual intercourse "outside
the
marriage". Now there's a notable loss of control! --TP

Neil Savings and Loan Bush?

Him and Marvin fly way under the rader most of the time

"You Teach A Child To Read, And He Or Her Will Be Able To Pass A Literacy
Test"
- George W Bush - Townsend Tn . Feb 21rst -2001

Blind Joni

I love you guys, but this subject was done within the first 10 posts.
Refrain, don't reprise, reprise, reprise, reprise..........for freakin
ever.

Hey, I'm at the top of the list. Actually I don't engage in political exchanges
any more in person. I have jumped into this one to help me with some studying
I've been doing about the use of language in debates and arguements and I found
some interesting leaps of logic and cases of someone reading a response and
reacting emotionally and responding to their interpretation of the post instead
of what was actually written..something we all of course do all the time..but
still interesting.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Blind Joni

My town no longer has any obstetricians... you have go to out of town to
deliver a baby. Just cost too much for them to keep their doors open.

This seems to be an insurance problem also.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Scott Dorsey

Blind Joni wrote:
My town no longer has any obstetricians... you have go to out of town to
deliver a baby. Just cost too much for them to keep their doors open.

This seems to be an insurance problem also.

Nahh, the insurance problem is -caused- by a litigation problem. In this
case, anyway. Courts award plenty of money to spurious claims, insurance
rates rise for everyone, people leave the field. Sort of like what happened
to the general aviation industry....

LeBaron & Alrich

P Stamler wrote:

Ah yes, Lyndon LaRouche. He used to accuse Queen Elizabeth of being a dope
pusher. Nuff said.

Ol' Lyndon's share of the wimmen vote is likely to be a pretty miniscule
little thing.

--
ha
Les Cargill

LeBaron & Alrich wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

James Boyk wrote:
...I believe that Fusion IS the future.

With no controlled fusion having ever been demonstrated that comes even
remotely close to generating net energy? Dream on!

What about the sun?

Every time I try to plug in the cord my wristwaatch gets fried.

--
ha

Gotta getta Monster cable cord, then. Gennywine oxegyn free.

--
Les Cargill
Les Cargill

William Sommerwerck wrote:

The Sun is not controlled fusion.

With no controlled fusion having ever been demonstrated that
comes even remotely close to generating net energy? Dream on!

What about the sun?

It's contained, by gravity. There are two possible interpretations
of "controlled" here - contrained, and managed. It's constrained.

--
Les Cargill
Les Cargill

P Stamler wrote:

Ah yes, Lyndon LaRouche. He used to accuse Queen Elizabeth of being a dope
pusher. Nuff said.

Peace,
Paul

That's the problem with LaRouche. He always got the time frames wrong.

The British Empire did indeed insist on opium imports into
China at one point.

--
Les Cargill
Les Cargill

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Blind Joni wrote:
My town no longer has any obstetricians... you have go to out of town to
deliver a baby. Just cost too much for them to keep their doors open.

This seems to be an insurance problem also.

Nahh, the insurance problem is -caused- by a litigation problem. In this
case, anyway. Courts award plenty of money to spurious claims, insurance
rates rise for everyone, people leave the field. Sort of like what happened
to the general aviation industry....

No, insurance ( specifically Blue Cross ) happened in 1948 when there
was a wage freeze on to hold down postwar inflation. People offered
Blue Cross in lieu of money, and it became A Natural Right.

Once you get insurance, there evinces an iron trianlge effect -
the doctors pass on cost to the insurance companies, the
insurance companies on to the premium payers, who then
bring in lawyers at select points to chaoticize things.

I've seen the Canadian system, and it's probably destiny,
but who knows what happens in Canada when it hits the fan.

Some blame the management, some the employees, but most of
all young man you've got industrial disease.

--
Les Cargill

Scott Dorsey

Les Cargill wrote:

I've seen the Canadian system, and it's probably destiny,
but who knows what happens in Canada when it hits the fan.

In Canada, and to a lesser extent the UK, there is the general feeling that
health care is a limited resource that needs to be carefully allocated and
rationed so the people who need it get it. It's got a lot of problems as well,
but it at least provides a minimum standard of care for everyone. And health
care is also one of those things where if you catch problems early it turns
out to be much less expensive than if you catch them late, so universal care
can be a win for some segment of the population just in that things get caught
earlier.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a good solution, and it's got some
real problems, but claiming that the health care in the US is the best in
the world is pretty clearly not a valid thing to do.

Glenn Dowdy

"Les Cargill" wrote in message
P Stamler wrote:

Ah yes, Lyndon LaRouche. He used to accuse Queen Elizabeth of being a

dope
pusher. Nuff said.

Peace,
Paul

That's the problem with LaRouche. He always got the time frames wrong.

The British Empire did indeed insist on opium imports into
China at one point.

It did reverse the trade imbalance and gave the British that barren rock
called Hong Kong.

Glenn D.

ScotFraser

the way you explained it makes it seem like a good analogy.
Car insurance = likelihood of getting fender fixed
Health Insurance = likelihood of getting heart transplant
EXCEPT..that in most states/counties..whatever..you cannot be refused life
saving medical treatment ..Taylor Law I think. I see a lot of dented fenders
around here.

You lost me in the linear logic quest with this. Whose point are you trying to
make?

Do any countries have this low a rate?

I don't know. Given the current economic downturn, maybe none. This existed in
the US just a few years ago.

Don't student loans already do a part of this.

What, allow every single person who desires a college education to afford one?
I don't think so. Is every low income student eligible for such loans?

I would rather have the
prospective student on the hook for the tab than taxpayers. If the student
can't or won't take on the debt of investing in his/herself why would someone
else want to? To make sure someone can afford something we have to either
control costs or agree to pay whatever it costs...who would agree to this?

A society that values education as something that benefits all of society would
foot the bill. A society that sees education merely as a career move for the
individual would not.

Scott Fraser
Charles Thomas

In article ,
(ralph gibbons) wrote:

Why do guys like you, who know nothing whatsoever about LaRouche, feel
compelled to enter into these debates? If LaRouche interests you, you
could actually learn something truthful at
http://www.LaRoucheIn2004.net

No offense, but someone's self-promoting and completely biased website
is hardly the place I'd turn to learn the "truth" about anything.

CT
P Stamler

He can always stuff a ballot box.

Oh wait. Wrong Lyndon.

Right -- that was Landslide Lyndon, who won his first election by -- hey, 87
votes. See, we're on-topic after all.

Four score and seven billion ago...

Peace,
Paul