Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] chogburley@gmail.com is offline

Default Amp advice :: stereo sub outs?

On Oct 7, 11:27 am, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
wrote:
hi there ... hi-fi novice here, new to the board and looking for some
amp advice!
I finally have the space to fire up an ancient pair of rather large
hand made speakers from the 70s/80s. The bass units are about a meter
tall and have Quad Raceway Drivers. The mids + highs are separate and
also Quad. Currently they have an early crossover unit splitting the
signal three ways.

Are you sure you are not talking about a system with KEF units?

Can anyone recommend a decent integrated amplifier for about £200 -
£400 that would be suitable,

A well sounding one would be suitable ... O;-) ... if the system is what I
think it is then it has a nominal powerhandling of some 40 watts and a
sensitivity of 10 watts to produce 96 dB.

possibly with a stereo sub woofer output
for the bass units?

No. Based on the asumption that it is a system with KEF B139, B110 and T27
that is not what you do, at least not if the x-over is also from KEF. On
your skill level you look for say a Rotel or Cambridge amp with some 2 X 60
watts.

If you want to go electronic, then you go look for the required skill to
actually implement such a setup and a Behringer DCX2496 and three not too
big poweramps. Nad had a 3 X 2 X 30 watt poweramp once upon a time, a very
neat and tidy way to provide power to such a box with an active cross-over.
Just my opinion, your mileage may matter. There are some quirks to be aware
of, read in rec.audio.tech ...

In fact any advice on what would be appropriate would be great! If
there's any more info I should give just let me know.

An image would help. It is not very likely but it _is_ slightly possible
that I have identified the system incorrectly, in which case the above
suggestions are null and void.

This really is rec.audio.tech stuff, and mostly there is less traffic over
there, so I added a followup-to: header pointing thataway, meaning that if
you follow up without actively altering the target newsgroup the follow up
will appear there and not here.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

C.

yes ... you are absolutely right. they are KEF units ... just a typo
on my part. i think i had QUAD amps on the brain when i wrote the
original post!

will try and post some pics.

thanks!

CB