Nat

Default gear and moisture

My ideal recording room for a number of songs is a closet/bathroom
combo. I would like to set my amp and dynamic mic up in the closet,
which is around a corner from the shower. And I'd like to leave it
set up. Any moisture from the shower that escapes the fan has to
travel around a corner to get to the mic and amp. I'm not sure how
much moisture it takes to hurt things like this, so I'm curious.
Would you worry about this if it was your gear?

I could take real fast showers in the name of leaving my gear out, if
I have to. The schematic is something like this ("x" marks the door,"
"y" marks the closest the amp would ever be near the shower, depending
on what kind of sound I'm going for):

I----------------------I
I [closet] I
I I
I ---------------I
I y I I
I I [shower] I
x I [curtain] I
x I
x [bathroom] I
x---------------------I
Nat

Ouch. Maybe this scheme will look better:

I----------------------I
I [closet] I
I I
I I------------I
I [y] I I
I I [shower] I
x I [curtain] I
x I
x [bathroom] I
x----------------------I
Pooh Bear

Nat wrote:

My ideal recording room for a number of songs is a closet/bathroom
combo. I would like to set my amp and dynamic mic up in the closet,
which is around a corner from the shower. And I'd like to leave it
set up. Any moisture from the shower that escapes the fan has to
travel around a corner to get to the mic and amp. I'm not sure how
much moisture it takes to hurt things like this, so I'm curious.
Would you worry about this if it was your gear?

Absolutely ! It's not the *moisture* ( as in water droplets ) but the
humidity in the air that can do damage. Humidity is the amount of water
carried in the air itself and most certainly *does* go round corners.

Graham

Paul Stamler

Would I worry? Let me count the ways:

1) Humidity in the air, from the shower microphone. If it's a condenser,
expect capsule failure in a relatively short time. If you're lucky, it'll
start working again when it dried out.

2) Humidity speaker cone. Mold. Rot.

3) Humidity amp chassis. If it's steel, rust.

4) Humidity amp circuitry. If it's tubes, and it condenses on the wrong
places, ZOT.

That's just a start. Don't do it. Really, don't do it.

Peace,
Paul

Nat

Geez, the things that people ask about doing for the sake of laziness.

Efficiency! Seriously, my life has zero spare time. Any time savers
I can figure out, I use. I guess this won't be one of them.

Nat

You could learn a lot by measuring the humidity over a few weeks. If
it is too high, take action such as sealing the door or using some
positive air pressure in the closet. You may also find that you don't
have a problem.

Unless you are literally singing in the shower, you could store the
microphone in another spot. (Unlike the amplifier, the microphone is
small and can easily be disconnected and carried away.)

Sounds like the path of least resistance is carrying stuff. I can
live with that. Of course, living in northern Indiana, the summer
humidity in the rest of my house is probably worse than the shower
room itself...