HellPope Huey

Default Analog Synthesis Sucks!

Over time, I have found that well-designed wavetables in ROMplers get
me as close as I feel the need to be when it comes to those punchy
basses, razor-y leads and high-frequency sheens analogs can't reach.
No, it doesn't cover all the possibilities by a mile, but having the
root there to manipulate in a more analog manner allows me to write more
WITH it and not spend time grappling with modulator rates or additive
progs that are smarter than I am Its perhaps semi-lazy, but its my right
as an American to Just Say No to sine waves, unless I want to crank one
up and blow out a woofer. Don't ask how I know.

--

HellPope Huey
Yes, it is I who dissed

Reason itself is a matter of faith.
It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts
have any relation to reality at all.
~ G. K. Chesterton

"We're screwing the pooch, Emily
and we've got to go balls-out!"
~ "Gilmore Girls"

HellPope Huey

Rick Massey wrote:

Busted syllogism.
Comparing analog sound reproduction to digital and then usingthat as proof
that digital syynthesis is superior to analog synthesis is a non-parallel
argument. We're talking about vastly different processes here.

Exactly. There's a good REASON a Triton offers a sampled wavetable, an
optional physical modeling card and sampling in one place. The human ear
is far more sensitive than many seem to acknowledge and loves those
subtle variations.
The simple take is that analog is "broad," digital is "crisp",
physical modeling is "fluid" and sampling is the source of useful
snapshots and cut-&-paste tricks the other methods don't directly cover.
Its not a battle field; its a palette. As an old MiniMoog student, I
think of sound shaping in analog terms, but once you see it as color
mixing, the rest is secondary.

--

HellPope Huey
I found some Mexican chocolates shaped like God.

We can keep from a child all knowledge of earlier myths,
but we cannot take from him the need for mythology.
~ Carl Jung

"If you take an Old Testament and flip the pages,
you can see Jesus riding a horse."
~ Gilbert Gottfried