Suraj

Default SUBWOOFER DESIGN

Hi

I am trying to build an 8" subwoofer using a driver unit from "Dainty
Speakers",Taiwan.The specifications written on it says that it can
handle 200W RMS.There are no other datasheets or any Thiel-Small
parameters accompanying the drive unit.Now that makes my effort of
making a suitable enclosure more difficult.I am looking to bulid some
sort of bandpass enclosure for use with my home theater system.I have
designed my subwoofer active filter with a frequency bandwidth of 30Hz
to 105Hz.I dont expect the 8" driver to handle frequencies below
.....say 25Hz.

Now,can somebody help me with making a suitable bandpass enclosure for
this particular drive unit.I am planning to use LM3886 as the
amplifier for this purpose.

Thanks in advance

Suraj
Sugarite

"Suraj" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I am trying to build an 8" subwoofer using a driver unit from "Dainty
Speakers",Taiwan.The specifications written on it says that it can
handle 200W RMS.There are no other datasheets or any Thiel-Small
parameters accompanying the drive unit.Now that makes my effort of
making a suitable enclosure more difficult.I am looking to bulid some
sort of bandpass enclosure for use with my home theater system.I have
designed my subwoofer active filter with a frequency bandwidth of 30Hz
to 105Hz.I dont expect the 8" driver to handle frequencies below
....say 25Hz.

Now,can somebody help me with making a suitable bandpass enclosure for
this particular drive unit.I am planning to use LM3886 as the
amplifier for this purpose.

Thanks in advance

Suraj

It's just a box.
Stuff it dense and modes won't bother you.
Don't make it more complictated that it has to be.
Be sure you get UL approval.

Arny Krueger

"Suraj" wrote in message
om
Hi

I am trying to build an 8" subwoofer using a driver unit from "Dainty
Speakers",Taiwan.The specifications written on it says that it can
handle 200W RMS.There are no other datasheets or any Thiel-Small
parameters accompanying the drive unit.Now that makes my effort of
making a suitable enclosure more difficult.I am looking to bulid some
sort of bandpass enclosure for use with my home theater system.I have
designed my subwoofer active filter with a frequency bandwidth of 30Hz
to 105Hz.I dont expect the 8" driver to handle frequencies below
....say 25Hz.

Now,can somebody help me with making a suitable bandpass enclosure for
this particular drive unit.I am planning to use LM3886 as the
amplifier for this purpose.

Here's some articles about measuring T/S paramters for yourself:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-27663.html

http://ldsg.snippets.org/HORNS/measure.html

http://www.purebits.com/appnote16.html

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=500-034&DID=7

I would not attempt a bandpass design without T/S parameters that I believed
in, and a good low-velocity vent.

Rudi Fischer

"Sugarite" wrote
"Suraj" wrote

[...]
Now,can somebody help me with making a suitable bandpass enclosure
for this particular drive unit.I am planning to use LM3886 as the
amplifier for this purpose.

It's just a box.
Stuff it dense and modes won't bother you.

No, I woudn't do that.
What _bass_ modes are there in about 2' by 2' by 3'?

Don't make it more complictated that it has to be.

Yeah, life can be easy, and sometimes even more
than _you_ think...;-)

Rudi Fischer
--
....and may good music always be with you