Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] ancyker@gmail.com is offline

Default Capacitor Drains Car Battery?

Hello,

At the risk of sounding like a newbie, I haven't had much experience
with car stereos or cars in general. This is my first solo install and
I've been having problems from the start, although this is the first
one I have been unable to solve on my own.

I just got a new stereo system about a month ago. I was having problems
with dimming lights and music cutting out during some songs while
idling (at a red light, stop sign, etc), so on the advice of a friend
and a bit of research I purchased a 5F capacitor.

It fixed the problem (well, it stopped the music from cutting out,
didn't help the dimming lights) but it created a new one, my battery
keeps dieing! This morning I go out to start my car and my battery was
dead. I had the amp hooked up for weeks before I hooked up the
capacitor, I had the capacitor for about 4-5 days now, this is the
first problem with it. I think it did it because I barely drove my car
yesterday... but I can't just go drive my car for no reason...

I followed the directions on the capacitor exactly, including charging
it with the 'light'. I have the Metra Tsunami Capacitor (PP1005DM-CAP)
sold at Circuit City.

Advice on what could be wrong/what to do?