Tube747

Default Constant Current Source For linestage design

Hello!
Just discussed with my friend regarding MOSFET CCS. Which one do you
think the apply the MOSFET CCS will have a better sound? MOSFET CCS in
a mu-stage as Alan Kimmel does or MOSFET CCS in a parallel feed
transformer coupled design
(http://hometown.aol.com/kevinc927/my...linestage.html)?

Cheers!
Tim Williams

From a technical point of view (which happens to be how my senses percieve
the world), the first will be better because the tube is buffered by a CCS
and cathode--erm, source follower. The second (parafed WOT) still loads the
tube, and as a matter of fact, holds absolutely no advantages over straight
WOT if the transformer was designed to handle DC current in the first place!
If you prefer the phase shifts and limited frequency response of an WOT
design, go for it. (The cascode arrangement, however, should be good to a
few MHz. Not like we care about that in audio.)

Tim

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+ Metalcasting

"Tube747" wrote in message
om...
Hello!
Just discussed with my friend regarding MOSFET CCS. Which one do you
think the apply the MOSFET CCS will have a better sound? MOSFET CCS in
a mu-stage as Alan Kimmel does or MOSFET CCS in a parallel feed
transformer coupled design
(http://hometown.aol.com/kevinc927/my...linestage.html)?

Cheers!

Tube747

****The second (parafed WOT) still loads the tube, and as a matter of
fact, holds absolutely no advantages over straight WOT if the
transformer was designed to handle DC current in the first place! If
you prefer the phase shifts and limited frequency response of an WOT
design, go for it.

As far as I know, a parafeed WOT design, the output transformer take
only an extremely small portion of DC voltage. This is the reason,
most of the parafeed WOT design can afford to use either Amorphous or
High Nickel content lamination (if they want to) for the output
transformer which is considered more fater to saturate for DC voltage
comparing to M6, however both amorphous and high nickel content
lamination (super 80 or super 40) has higher permeability.

From a technical point of view (which happens to be how my senses percieve

"Tube747" wrote in message
om...
Hello!
Just discussed with my friend regarding MOSFET CCS. Which one do you
think the apply the MOSFET CCS will have a better sound? MOSFET CCS in
a mu-stage as Alan Kimmel does or MOSFET CCS in a parallel feed
transformer coupled design
(http://hometown.aol.com/kevinc927/my...linestage.html)?

Cheers!

Tim Williams

"Tube747" wrote in message
om...
As far as I know, a parafeed WOT design, the output transformer take
only an extremely small portion of DC voltage. This is the reason,
most of the parafeed WOT design can afford to use either Amorphous or
High Nickel content lamination (if they want to) for the output
transformer which is considered more fater to saturate for DC voltage
comparing to M6, however both amorphous and high nickel content
lamination (super 80 or super 40) has higher permeability.

Which is why I added:

... holds absolutely no advantages over straight
WOT if the transformer was designed to handle DC current in the first
place!

No reason why a properly constructed transformer won't work as well or
better.

Tim

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,
and Games: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms

Ronald

Hi ,

I don't have an answer , just another question ......
I want to try the FET / Kimmel stage in a tuner I think .
Any recommended FET's for this ??

T.i.a.

Ronald .

"Tube747" schreef in bericht