Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Paul Vina

Default Clean Power?

That's very true. When we first built our new store we level matched
everything (well, as close as you can in a retail environment) and all of a
suuden Crossfire amps were our new best sellers. All of our other brands
were sliding because people couldn't hear a difference, or at least not a
big enough of a difference to justify twice as much money on a more
expensive amp, unless it was the other features they wanted.

Paul Vina

"Scott Gardner" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 10:40:48 -0500, "Mark Zarella"
wrote:

What I have found with so called cheap amps such as Profile, Jensen and
Pyramid is that you have to crank the hell out of them to get deep

bass.
Where
more costly amps such as Orion, Kicker, PPI and MTX seem to produce

deeper
bass at lower volume levels. I also found that these cheaper amps seem

run
a lot hotter. The only reason for this that I can think of is an

inadequate
power supply.

No, that's not a problem. Every "cheap" amp I've ever tested has a flat
frequency response down to 20 Hz (lower in fact). This is well

documented
actually. What you're undoubtedly experiencing is a lack of power. Use

bigger "cheap" amp and you won't run into this.

Yep - it's amazing how many sonic "differences" between amplifiers
disappear when they're level-matched before the comparison. Anyone
that sells amplifiers using an in-store display will tell you that a
customer will always favor the slightly louder setup, even if it's
only a dB or two.

Scott Gardner