Vortex

Default Otari MTR 90 MKIII or Studer A800 MKIII

Based on sonic quality and reputation, I'd go with the Studer 1st
seeing as it's the MKIII. Studer is still the "Rolls Royce" of recorders.

Although the parts on the Otari might be easier to find and a little
less expensive.

You can see some response curves of the Otari MX-80 and Studer A80 MKII
on Jack Endino's web site from tests he performed:

http://www.endino.com/graphs/index.html

The Studer has a flater response curve, not that it's better than the Otari,
just more faithful to the original recording.

Mario

I am in the market for a 24 track recorder, and I've kind of narrowed
my decision. I'm thinking getting an Otari MTR 90 MKIII or a Studer
A800 MkIII. Both have relatively low hours around 5000. I am just
writing to get some opinions on these 2 decks. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

William

Rob Adelman

Vortex wrote:

Based on sonic quality and reputation, I'd go with the Studer 1st
seeing as it's the MKIII. Studer is still the "Rolls Royce" of recorders.

Although the parts on the Otari might be easier to find and a little
less expensive.

You can see some response curves of the Otari MX-80 and Studer A80 MKII
on Jack Endino's web site from tests he performed:

The A800 seems to be a favorite among the Studer lovers.

LeBaron & Alrich

EggHd wrote:

The A800 seems to be a favorite among the Studer lovers.

And in such a compact package. (not!)

Probably takes up twice the space of the MTR90III? Or close to that.

--
ha
EggHd

Probably takes up twice the space of the MTR90III? Or close to that.

The 800 is pretty wide.

---------------------------------------

Rob Adelman

EggHd wrote:
Probably takes up twice the space of the MTR90III? Or close to that.

The 800 is pretty wide.

Sounds like there is lots of room for stuff to breath. Probably a good
thing. Assuming you have the space.

Kurt Albershardt

LeBaron & Alrich wrote:

EggHd wrote:

The A800 seems to be a favorite among the Studer lovers.

And in such a compact package. (not!)

Probably takes up twice the space of the MTR90III? Or close to that.

Yeah--but it looks sooooo niiiice in the dark with all those lights!

Fletcher

Glenn Davis wrote:

though the MTR-90 is more of a 'capstanless' tape path

I think he meant to say Pinchroller-free. The MTR-90 III has a 9600 Hz capstan
motor, but the tape transport is of a Pinchroller-free design.

Yup... that's what I meant... thank you for coming up with the right phase... I had
a brain cramp. D'oh

If the two Decks
in question are the same price, the Studer may have some issues. I would fine
tooth comb both Machines before a commitment is made.

Absolutely spot on advice!!!
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Bob Olhsson

In article , Fletcher
wrote:

They'll punch about the same,
though you have to hit 'play and record' on the 800 when you're doing a
punch which takes a bit of time to get used to doing

Can't you just hold down play and then hit record when you need to?

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN 615.385.8051
http://www.hyperback.com/olhsson.html

Fletcher

Bob Olhsson wrote:

In article , Fletcher
wrote:

They'll punch about the same,
though you have to hit 'play and record' on the 800 when you're doing a
punch which takes a bit of time to get used to doing

Can't you just hold down play and then hit record when you need to?

That's the way most people do it... though I usually punch with my right
index finger... so I'll usually hold down 'record' and punch with the "play"
button... I still find it bloody annoying...
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

Fletcher

Jay - atldigi wrote:

That way you won't erase the perfect vocal take by mistake when you
reach for rewind.

Uhhh, paying a modicum of attention would do that... and even if you did have
your head up your ass... 'rewind' and 'record' are on entirely opposite ends
of the switch bank... which would mean you'd have to be a complete and total
****up to accomplish that kind of "ooops"...
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

OKden

That's the way I do it as well. Punching in and out with the right index
finger on the play key. It also insures that a worn/dirty play button won't
punch you right back out.