Posted to rec.audio.pro
Garf

Default advise on new gear

Hey I am trying to set up a small project studio in the back of an old
theatre. I want to be able to mix 32 tracks of audio have a channel
strip of compression eq gating phase switching on every channel and be
able to run 4 effects on aux sends. without crashing. I would also like
to be able to track up to 32 inputs at one time allthough I will
probaby get it down to 16 live mics for tracking. I want to stay mac
based allthough I dont have to. I want to use protools but i dont have
to and i am on a budget. I dont need m ics or preamps just the ability
to mix in a computer. i have an existing adat studio and i want to
upgrade. please advise.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Garf wrote:
Hey I am trying to set up a small project studio
I want to be able to mix 32 tracks of audio
have a channel strip of compression eq gating phase switching on every channel
be able to run 4 effects on aux sends. without crashing.
I would also like to be able to track up to 32 inputs at one time
I want to stay mac based allthough I dont have to.
I want to use protools but i dont have to and i am on a budget.
I dont need m ics or preamps just the ability to mix in a computer.

What's wrong with this picture? Perhaps it's the "small project studio"
or the "on a budget" (presumably one smaller than $30,000). You need
Pro Tools HD. Accept no substitutes. Don't sell your ADATs or quit your
day job.

I can't believe I'm replying to so many trolls. Someone give me some
work so I'll have less time to hang around here.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar

Someone give me some
work so I'll have less time to hang around here.

I thought you were semi retired!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Nate Najar wrote:

I thought you were semi retired!

Things are slow in the semi business.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

news to me wrote:
My favorite part is " I dont need mics or preamps"

Except for the part about
I would also like to be able to track up to 32 inputs at one time

it sounds like he might be tracking elsewhere and just looking to mix
in his studio, but then why would he need a theater? That could be a
good place to track. Or he might already have mics and preamps (he said
he was upgrading an ADAT studio) that he can re-use.

One more message that's incomplete, perhaps intentionally. Some people
do that just to get a bunch of wild ideas thrown at them. But sometimes
they get mud thrown at them as well.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimPerry

"Garf" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey I am trying to set up a small project studio in the back of an old
theatre.

cool

I want to be able to mix 32 tracks of audio have a channel
strip of compression eq gating phase switching on every channel and be
able to run 4 effects on aux sends.

an admirable goal

without crashing.

i hate crashing

I would also like
to be able to track up to 32 inputs at one time allthough I will
probaby get it down to 16 live mics for tracking.

the usual number for a typical band?

I want to stay mac
based allthough I dont have to.

an apple a day keeps the linux away

I want to use protools but i dont have
to and i am on a budget.

we all have a budget, what is yours?

I dont need m ics or preamps just the ability
to mix in a computer.

it's pretty hard to record with out these

i have an existing adat studio and i want to
upgrade.

why?

please advise.

do you have a question?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Zigakly

Hey I am trying to set up a small project studio in the back of an old
theatre. I want to be able to mix 32 tracks of audio have a channel
strip of compression eq gating phase switching on every channel and be
able to run 4 effects on aux sends. without crashing. I would also like
to be able to track up to 32 inputs at one time allthough I will
probaby get it down to 16 live mics for tracking. I want to stay mac
based allthough I dont have to. I want to use protools but i dont have
to and i am on a budget. I dont need m ics or preamps just the ability
to mix in a computer. i have an existing adat studio and i want to
upgrade. please advise.

I assume you already have a 32-channel console of some sort, no getting
around that.

Here's 3 ways to go:
1 - 32 track recording and mixing capability in something other than
Protools
2 - 16-32 track recording capability with something other than Protools,
whose audio files will import neatly into Protools, in which overdubs and
mixing can be done with a less elaborate (less expensive) interface
3 - Record and mix entirely within Protools

Option 1 requires dealing with other software, which if you're used to
Protools is a daunting proposition, since you won't know if you really take
to it or not until you've bought it and invested several weeks learning it.
However the hardware is reasonably priced and people get solid work done
with Nuendo, Sonar, Logic, etc every day.

Option 2 offers inexpensive multitracking in conjunction with an inexpensive
Protools solution. If you're regularily multitracking a bunch of bedtracks
then overdubbing no more than 4 tracks at a time, then this works very well.
In essence, you're trading some of the 32 tracks in option 1 for the
Protools M-Powered interface of your choice.

Option 3 requires either working with a Digi 002R and outboard converters
for 16-18 tracks, or spending a ****load on an HD rig. The only substantial
benefit to staying in Protools is the ability to do multitrack punch-ins,
where it would be a bitch to do with a separate multitracking rig.

Personally I use and recommend Option 2. I use a pair of Echo Audiofire
12's (24 tracks 24/192 in and out total) for live recording using the
included Mackie Traktion software, then import the files into Protools
M-Powered (which works smoothly), mixing using the S/PDIF output of an
Audiophile 192. Protools M-Powered apparently offers 3x the plug-in power
compared to LE, pressumably because the M-Audio driver is much better, while
the LE driver spends too much CPU making sure it's not using 3rd party
hardware.

As for Mac/PC, it depends on how much plug-ins you're expecting to need.
Currently PC's have a substantial price/performance advantage, where a $1500
quad Opteron rig competes with 8 HD Accel cards, and whips dual G5's costing
$1000 more. Digidesign hasn't gotten Protools working well on the Quad G5
yet, but it stands to top the list when it does. If you want to stay with
Mac, a dual G5 will very likely have enough CPU for you, unless you plan to
run several convolution reverbs etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

Hey, gang, this really isn't that dumb a question, and I don't see that it
has to be a troll. Tim wrote:

I would also like
to be able to track up to 32 inputs at one time allthough I will
probaby get it down to 16 live mics for tracking.

the usual number for a typical band?

Depends what kind of bands you record. If it's a large salsa group, and you
mike each individual drum, yeah, 16-32 live mics might not be off-base.

I dont need m ics or preamps just the ability
to mix in a computer.

it's pretty hard to record with out these

He said he already has an ADAT studio up and running; presumably he's going
to keep the mics and preamps, but is looking to change from a tape-based
system to a computer-based system.

What's so nutty about that?

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
TimPerry

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message
Hey, gang, this really isn't that dumb a question, and I don't see that it
has to be a troll. Tim wrote:

Paul, i was attempting to point out to the OP that asking an open ended
question while supplying minimal information will yield poor results.

I commend Mr. Zigakly on his comprehensive response.

I would also like
to be able to track up to 32 inputs at one time allthough I will
probaby get it down to 16 live mics for tracking.

the usual number for a typical band?

Depends what kind of bands you record. If it's a large salsa group, and

you
mike each individual drum, yeah, 16-32 live mics might not be off-base.

I dont need m ics or preamps just the ability
to mix in a computer.

it's pretty hard to record with out these

He said he already has an ADAT studio up and running; presumably he's

going
to keep the mics and preamps, but is looking to change from a tape-based
system to a computer-based system.

What's so nutty about that?

Peace,
Paul

By breaking the post down line by line i had hoped to make more sense of
what the OP actually wanted without inferences. Without any real idea of
the requirements or the budget asking "please advise" is like calling up an
auto repair shop and saying "my motor vehicle need improvement, please
advise".

My advise to the OP would necessarily be very generic along the lines of
obtain a 32 ch mixer new or used and obtain such additional outboard gear
as you think you will need and wire it via patch bays for versatility.
Obtain a digital recording/editing device with sufficient inputs that you
will be happy with.

The other advise would be to call around to other studios in the area and
see what they are using to achieve the same ends. Most folks i know are
rather proud of their facilities and are more then happy to show them off.
The obvious advantage of having similar hardware and software of a buddy
across town is that when you run into a problem is there is a possible local
source for help.