Two stunning LPs

Old August 13th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

Default Two stunning LPs

Yesterday in L.A. I picked up two LPs that are a revelation to me. I
had heard both of them at HE2006 and was stunned by the quality of the
sound (and the greatness of the performances), but I didn't know how
they would do in my more modest system at home. Upon playing them this
morning, I found myself listening in open-mouthed wonder.

Joan Baez: In Concert. Cisco/Vanguard Records. A GREAT performance
with a "you are at the performance site" perspective that is just
amazing. Joan's Martin guitar has a tangible quality on this recording
like no other I've ever heard, especially the notes played on the D and
A strings. Her voice, especially in her upper range, has on this
recording the crystal clear, dead on intonation that she is known for.

Ella Fitzgerald: Let No Man Write my Epitaph. Classic?Verve Records
The perspective here is "Ella is in your room". The finesse of her
voice is in full display here. The piano is presented well, but on
Ella's first note, I let out a curse word, which is quite rare for me!
There is an incredible reality about her voice on this record.
Actually, incredible is the wrong word; it is CREDIBLE. It sounds like
a voice, as opposed to the vast majority of other recordings.

I'm very happy to own these amazing recordings of superlative
performances. For those of you who listen only to CD, I hope that those
versions are as good. If so, I urge you to seek them out.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply
Old August 13th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

"Jenn" > wrote in message
> Yesterday in L.A. I picked up two LPs that are a revelation to me. I
> had heard both of them at HE2006 and was stunned by the quality of the
> sound (and the greatness of the performances), but I didn't know how
> they would do in my more modest system at home. Upon playing them this
> morning, I found myself listening in open-mouthed wonder.
>
> Joan Baez: In Concert. Cisco/Vanguard Records. A GREAT performance
> with a "you are at the performance site" perspective that is just
> amazing. Joan's Martin guitar has a tangible quality on this recording
> like no other I've ever heard, especially the notes played on the D and
> A strings. Her voice, especially in her upper range, has on this
> recording the crystal clear, dead on intonation that she is known for.
>
> Ella Fitzgerald: Let No Man Write my Epitaph. Classic?Verve Records
> The perspective here is "Ella is in your room". The finesse of her
> voice is in full display here. The piano is presented well, but on
> Ella's first note, I let out a curse word, which is quite rare for me!
> There is an incredible reality about her voice on this record.
> Actually, incredible is the wrong word; it is CREDIBLE. It sounds like
> a voice, as opposed to the vast majority of other recordings.
>
> I'm very happy to own these amazing recordings of superlative
> performances. For those of you who listen only to CD, I hope that those
> versions are as good. If so, I urge you to seek them out.

Jenn-

I have the original Vanguard Baez, and the quality is there on the original
recording. This was one of Vanguard's best, but in general they did well by
Baez.

I don't have the Ella, but I do have her "songbooks" and also her two duo
records with Joe Pass. These latter have the same quality you speak
of....you may wish to look them up as well...I believe they have been
reissed.

Harry

Old August 13th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article >,
"Harry Lavo" > wrote:

> "Jenn" > wrote in message
> > Yesterday in L.A. I picked up two LPs that are a revelation to me. I
> > had heard both of them at HE2006 and was stunned by the quality of the
> > sound (and the greatness of the performances), but I didn't know how
> > they would do in my more modest system at home. Upon playing them this
> > morning, I found myself listening in open-mouthed wonder.
> >
> > Joan Baez: In Concert. Cisco/Vanguard Records. A GREAT performance
> > with a "you are at the performance site" perspective that is just
> > amazing. Joan's Martin guitar has a tangible quality on this recording
> > like no other I've ever heard, especially the notes played on the D and
> > A strings. Her voice, especially in her upper range, has on this
> > recording the crystal clear, dead on intonation that she is known for.
> >
> > Ella Fitzgerald: Let No Man Write my Epitaph. Classic?Verve Records
> > The perspective here is "Ella is in your room". The finesse of her
> > voice is in full display here. The piano is presented well, but on
> > Ella's first note, I let out a curse word, which is quite rare for me!
> > There is an incredible reality about her voice on this record.
> > Actually, incredible is the wrong word; it is CREDIBLE. It sounds like
> > a voice, as opposed to the vast majority of other recordings.
> >
> > I'm very happy to own these amazing recordings of superlative
> > performances. For those of you who listen only to CD, I hope that those
> > versions are as good. If so, I urge you to seek them out.

> Jenn-
>
> I have the original Vanguard Baez, and the quality is there on the original
> recording. This was one of Vanguard's best, but in general they did well by
> Baez.
>
> I don't have the Ella, but I do have her "songbooks" and also her two duo
> records with Joe Pass. These latter have the same quality you speak
> of....you may wish to look them up as well...I believe they have been
> reissed.
>
> Harry

Thanks, Harry.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply
Old August 14th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

In article
Jenn > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Harry Lavo" > wrote:
>
> > "Jenn" > wrote in message
> > > Yesterday in L.A. I picked up two LPs that are a revelation to me. I
> > > had heard both of them at HE2006 and was stunned by the quality of the
> > > sound (and the greatness of the performances), but I didn't know how
> > > they would do in my more modest system at home. Upon playing them this
> > > morning, I found myself listening in open-mouthed wonder.
> > >
> > > Joan Baez: In Concert. Cisco/Vanguard Records. A GREAT performance
> > > with a "you are at the performance site" perspective that is just
> > > amazing. Joan's Martin guitar has a tangible quality on this recording
> > > like no other I've ever heard, especially the notes played on the D and
> > > A strings. Her voice, especially in her upper range, has on this
> > > recording the crystal clear, dead on intonation that she is known for.
> > >
> > > Ella Fitzgerald: Let No Man Write my Epitaph. Classic?Verve Records
> > > The perspective here is "Ella is in your room". The finesse of her
> > > voice is in full display here. The piano is presented well, but on
> > > Ella's first note, I let out a curse word, which is quite rare for me!
> > > There is an incredible reality about her voice on this record.
> > > Actually, incredible is the wrong word; it is CREDIBLE. It sounds like
> > > a voice, as opposed to the vast majority of other recordings.
> > >
> > > I'm very happy to own these amazing recordings of superlative
> > > performances. For those of you who listen only to CD, I hope that those
> > > versions are as good. If so, I urge you to seek them out.

> > Jenn-
> >
> > I have the original Vanguard Baez, and the quality is there on the original
> > recording. This was one of Vanguard's best, but in general they did well
> > by
> > Baez.
> >
> > I don't have the Ella, but I do have her "songbooks" and also her two duo
> > records with Joe Pass. These latter have the same quality you speak
> > of....you may wish to look them up as well...I believe they have been
> > reissed.
> >
> > Harry

> Thanks, Harry.

The Ella was released on PolyGram Jazz as "The Intimate Ella." Sounds
great on the Grados. "Black Coffee" is also on "Shadowland" by kd lang,
another good recording.

I've seen the Vanguard countless times in used racks, but I can't
remember if I've taken the chance.

'Chance' is also my lp filing system. :-)

Stephen
Old August 14th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

You too??

Old August 14th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article >,
MINe 109 > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Jenn > wrote:
>
> > In article >,

> > > Jenn-
> > >
> > > I have the original Vanguard Baez, and the quality is there on the
> > > original
> > > recording. This was one of Vanguard's best, but in general they did well
> > > by
> > > Baez.
> > >
> > > I don't have the Ella, but I do have her "songbooks" and also her two duo
> > > records with Joe Pass. These latter have the same quality you speak
> > > of....you may wish to look them up as well...I believe they have been
> > > reissed.
> > >
> > > Harry

> > Thanks, Harry.

> The Ella was released on PolyGram Jazz as "The Intimate Ella." Sounds
> great on the Grados. "Black Coffee" is also on "Shadowland" by kd lang,
> another good recording.

Thanks.

> I've seen the Vanguard countless times in used racks, but I can't
> remember if I've taken the chance.
>
> 'Chance' is also my lp filing system. :-)

LOL I admit to being a bit anal about my recordings data base and
filing system. My Excel sheet just passed 4400 rows.

--
REMOVE your capo to reply
Old August 14th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

In article
Jenn > wrote:

> In article >,
> MINe 109 > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Jenn > wrote:

<snip>

> > The Ella was released on PolyGram Jazz as "The Intimate Ella." Sounds
> > great on the Grados. "Black Coffee" is also on "Shadowland" by kd lang,
> > another good recording.

> Thanks.
>

> > I've seen the Vanguard countless times in used racks, but I can't
> > remember if I've taken the chance.
> >
> > 'Chance' is also my lp filing system. :-)

> LOL I admit to being a bit anal about my recordings data base and
> filing system. My Excel sheet just passed 4400 rows.

I do better with the cds!

There are more complications with classical recordings. We had a
typically stupid RAO dustup when someone insisted on calling "Famous
Blue Raincoat" a Leonard Cohen album. Well, if you file exclusively by
composer, it makes sense, but it won't help you find it in a record
store.

Stephen
Old August 14th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

MINe 109 wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Jenn > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > MINe 109 > wrote:
> >
> > > In article

> <snip>
>
> > > The Ella was released on PolyGram Jazz as "The Intimate Ella." Sounds
> > > great on the Grados. "Black Coffee" is also on "Shadowland" by kd lang,
> > > another good recording.

> > Thanks.
> >

> > > I've seen the Vanguard countless times in used racks, but I can't
> > > remember if I've taken the chance.
> > >
> > > 'Chance' is also my lp filing system. :-)

> > LOL I admit to being a bit anal about my recordings data base and
> > filing system. My Excel sheet just passed 4400 rows.

> I do better with the cds!
>
> There are more complications with classical recordings. We had a
> typically stupid RAO dustup when someone insisted on calling "Famous
> Blue Raincoat" a Leonard Cohen album. Well, if you file exclusively by
> composer, it makes sense, but it won't help you find it in a record
> store.

This pertains to the fact (which you know, of course) that classical
music is a COMPOSER driven medium, where popular music is a PERFORMER
driven medium (for the most part in both cases.) So I file and
database my recordings by composer, and there is not just one entry per
CD or LP, but rather there is a database entry by each WORK on each CD
or LP.

Old August 14th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

"Jenn" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> MINe 109 wrote:
>> In article
>> >,
>> Jenn > wrote:

>> <snip>

>> > Thanks.

>> > LOL I admit to being a bit anal about my recordings data base and
>> > filing system. My Excel sheet just passed 4400 rows.

>> I do better with the cds!
>>
>> There are more complications with classical recordings. We had a
>> typically stupid RAO dustup when someone insisted on calling "Famous
>> Blue Raincoat" a Leonard Cohen album. Well, if you file exclusively by
>> composer, it makes sense, but it won't help you find it in a record
>> store.

> This pertains to the fact (which you know, of course) that classical
> music is a COMPOSER driven medium, where popular music is a PERFORMER
> driven medium (for the most part in both cases.) So I file and
> database my recordings by composer, and there is not just one entry per
> CD or LP, but rather there is a database entry by each WORK on each CD
> or LP.

I can understand the rationale for keeping the database in the detail you do
(in fact for classical, their is no other good way). Where my attempts to
catalog have alway fallen apart is when it comes to physically
storing/referencing them on the shelves. In other words, I've never come up
with a good system for telling where they are physically. Mind sharing how
you do this?

Old August 14th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Harry Lavo" > wrote in message

> "Jenn" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>
>> MINe 109 wrote:
>>> In article

>>> <snip>

>>> I do better with the cds!
>>>
>>> There are more complications with classical recordings. We had a
>>> typically stupid RAO dustup when someone insisted on calling "Famous
>>> Blue Raincoat" a Leonard Cohen album. Well, if you file exclusively by
>>> composer, it makes sense, but it won't help you find it in a record
>>> store.

>> This pertains to the fact (which you know, of course) that classical
>> music is a COMPOSER driven medium, where popular music is a PERFORMER
>> driven medium (for the most part in both cases.) So I file and
>> database my recordings by composer, and there is not just one entry per
>> CD or LP, but rather there is a database entry by each WORK on each CD
>> or LP.

> I can understand the rationale for keeping the database in the detail you
> do (in fact for classical, their is no other good way). Where my attempts
> to catalog have alway fallen apart is when it comes to physically
> storing/referencing them on the shelves. In other words, I've never come
> up with a good system for telling where they are physically. Mind sharing
> how you do this?

Physically, I sort the Classical lp's by label