Question on the Type of Wood Used in Speaker Construction and Effect on Sound

Old October 7th 14, 03:54 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Shaun

Default Question on the Type of Wood Used in Speaker Construction and Effect on Sound

wrote in message

On Tuesday, May 25, 2004 8:45:45 PM UTC-7, Chu Gai wrote:
> [...]
> though. But yes woods do flavor sound, for guitars and speakers. Part
> of woods amazing quality is that it can be made to resonate more, as
> in the case of a guitar or piano, but that same piano usues wood to
> isolate the vibration (the case) so the most energy can be released to
> the room (more music)
> What solid wood does in the case of my speaker is resonate LESS. I use
> solid wood for it's weight vs ridgidity, it is far more ridgid than
> mdf. And contributes actually less in the form of self -resonance. In
> addition we have have made this speaker from teak, oak, mdf, plywood,
> pine, alder, maple and cherry. All have distinct sonic "flavors". The
> solid wood particularly the maple extends bass and allows the very
> absolute maximum energy transfer from driver cone to port to room
> without imparting audible resonance of it's own. The mdf example
> sounded muffled and lifeless. My designs pursue maximum energy
> transfer from electrical to the room both from the front of the driver
> and the rear.. I once made a xylephone from different species of wood,
> the keys all the same size as an experiment. 5 octaves were covered
> just from locally growing trees.
> One really has to integrate decisions about grain orientation,
> thicknesses of wood as well as joint strength to carry this discussion
> comparing materials to any logical extent as it relates to
> speakerbuilding.
>
> Me: If it's your position that cabinet augmentation is desireable,
> then we stand on opposite sides. If you feel that it gives your
> speaker a characteristic sound that is pleasing, I can live with that.
>
> Him: The concept that you propose I subscribe to is incorrect, you
> mis-nterpret my intention of reducing resonance through the use of
> solid wood. MDf does not eliminate resonance. It reduces it
> drastically, such that it also reduces musical content via energy
> absorption.
>
> If you look at speakerbuilding from another angle, the anthropological
> veiw, we see that as forests shrank and skilled labor was replaced
> with machinery. The square box (usually sealed or ported0 became the
> de-facto method of augmenting the bass drivers own free-air resonance
> (fs) or limiting it in the case of sealed enclosures. I submit this
> has every thing to do with the advent of high powered solid state
> amplifiers as equally as declining skills in our labor pool. MDF was
> not created for eliminating resonance in speaker boxes but rather to
> utilize vast stretches of inadequate lumber stocks. From an acoustical
> standpoint MDF is dampening. It absorbs sound due to it's mass and
> weight.
>
> I am trying to allow the energy that would be absorbed by MDF to be
> better utilized re-creating acoustical energy in the room. Of course
> you do not want your speakerbox to vibrate, but using a "dead" panel
> is the easy way out and not neccesarily the best method. ANd I think

MDF is the best for creating acoustical energy in any room

Try using morning wood. It might be interesting.

Shaun

Old October 7th 14, 09:26 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 7/10/2014 1:54 PM, Shaun wrote:

> MDF is the best for creating acoustical energy in any room

Not this again, if it was the "best for creating acoustical energy in
any room" all wooden acoustical musical instruments would be made from
it instead of none.

Trevor.

Old October 7th 14, 09:29 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 7/10/2014 6:30 AM, geoff wrote:
> On 27/09/2014 6:32 p.m., Trevor wrote:

Or any at all for that matter, since it hadn't been invented when he
died. :-)

>>> That's what makes MDF *great* for speakers. You DON'T WANT your cabinet
>>> resonating and radiating sound - you want it as insert as possible,
>>> exactly the opposite of the case with violins, guitars, pianos, drums,
>>> etc.

>> Right, which makes MDF a good *compromise* for speaker boxes only.
>> Hardly best in any single parameter however.

> I wasn't suggesting making speaker chassis, cones, or magnets out of MDF

Just as well or you would appear even sillier!!!

Trevor.

Old October 7th 14, 05:15 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Shaun

"Trevor" wrote in message ...

On 7/10/2014 1:54 PM, Shaun wrote:

> MDF is the best for creating acoustical energy in any room

Not this again, if it was the "best for creating acoustical energy in
any room" all wooden acoustical musical instruments would be made from
it instead of none.

Trevor.

Hey Trevor;

Do a google search for Morning wood; I don't think you know what it is.

Shaun

Old October 9th 14, 02:04 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor

On 8/10/2014 3:15 AM, Shaun wrote:
> "Trevor" wrote in message ...
> On 7/10/2014 1:54 PM, Shaun wrote:
>
>> MDF is the best for creating acoustical energy in any room

> Not this again, if it was the "best for creating acoustical energy in
> any room" all wooden acoustical musical instruments would be made from
> it instead of none.
>

> Hey Trevor;
>
> Do a google search for Morning wood; I don't think you know what it is.

Sure I do, but what has it got to do with this thread?

Trevor.

Old October 9th 14, 04:13 AM posted to rec.audio.tech
Shaun

"Trevor" wrote in message ...

On 8/10/2014 3:15 AM, Shaun wrote:
> "Trevor" wrote in message ...
> On 7/10/2014 1:54 PM, Shaun wrote:
>
>> MDF is the best for creating acoustical energy in any room

> Not this again, if it was the "best for creating acoustical energy in
> any room" all wooden acoustical musical instruments would be made from
> it instead of none.
>

> Hey Trevor;
>
> Do a google search for Morning wood; I don't think you know what it is.

Sure I do, but what has it got to do with this thread?

Trevor.

Well if you put the morning wood in a woman, in out in out. She'll will
make sound interesting sounds!
get a rhythm going and it would be like music.

Shaun

Old speaker boxes Jebus Tech 270 June 4th 04 01:42 AM
Why shouldn't someone buy Bose? Stephen McLuckie High End Audio 59 April 20th 04 03:01 AM
Speaker Cables and Interconnects, your opinion Stewart Audio Opinions 61 November 14th 03 05:41 PM