Simple tone control?

Old November 22nd 11, 06:07 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison[_3_]

Default Simple tone control?

"Jeffrey Angus"

> You're links are broken/segmented.
> <http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=SOUNDSTICKS3AM>
> Does work...

** Not from outside the USA it don't.

And the UK one is the same.

How boring of them.

.... Phil

Old November 22nd 11, 06:22 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Jeffrey Angus[_2_]

On 11/22/2011 12:07 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
> "Jeffrey Angus"
>
>> You're links are broken/segmented.
>> <http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=SOUNDSTICKS3AM>
>> Does work...

> ** Not from outside the USA it don't.
>
> And the UK one is the same.

Well that sucks, what's the point of that?

Jeff-1.0

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Old November 22nd 11, 06:31 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 00:22:29 -0600, Jeffrey Angus >
wrote:

>On 11/22/2011 12:07 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
>> "Jeffrey Angus"
>>
>>> You're links are broken/segmented.
>>> <http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=SOUNDSTICKS3AM>
>>> Does work...

>> ** Not from outside the USA it don't.
>>
>> And the UK one is the same.

>Well that sucks, what's the point of that?
>
>Jeff-1.0

Just need a proxy within the USA - always useful to have one available
for every major country.

Old November 22nd 11, 08:25 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Rich Grise[_3_]

DaveC wrote:
> This is the simplest I found:

<http://www.simplecircuitdiagram.com/2010/02/03/single-op-amp-tone-control/>

It looks bog-standard to me. Go ahead and use it and use your mind to go
on to greater things! :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Old November 23rd 11, 11:48 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Nov 21, 7:03*am, "William Sommerwerck" >
wrote:

> Unless you want a "tone control" that produces shrill treble and boomy bass,
> you need to move the treble corner up, and the bass down.

_________________
Is *that* why many boomboxes and home stereos(cheap ones) have a tone
knob labeled "Bass< >Treble"?

All I notices with those is that turning it to the left made the sound
muffled and to the right made the sound more tinny/hissy. I didn't
notice that the bass was being boosted when the knob turned left or
that it was being reduced when turned right.

-CC
Old November 24th 11, 12:05 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
DaveC[_2_]

> Is *that* why many boomboxes and home stereos(cheap ones) have a tone
> knob labeled "Bass< >Treble"?
>
> All I notices with those is that turning it to the left made the sound
> muffled and to the right made the sound more tinny/hissy. I didn't
> notice that the bass was being boosted when the knob turned left or
> that it was being reduced when turned right.
>
> -CC

These pots on the circuit references aren't on a common shaft.

In other words, you can have muffled *and* tinny/hissy! ;-)

Dave

Old November 24th 11, 06:48 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Tauno Voipio

On 21.11.11 5:53 , DaveC wrote:
> I'd like to add a simple op amp-based tone control circuit to my preamp for
> desktop speakers& sub that I'm modifying from stock.
>
> This is the simplest I found:
>
> <http://www.simplecircuitdiagram.com/2010/02/03/single-op-amp-tone-control/>
>
> (I have +/- supplies so I will be eliminating all coupling caps and changing
> Vcc/2 to ground.)
>
> What are the positives and negatives to this design?
>
> Better circuit (yet simple)?
>
> Thanks.

This is the classic Baxandall tone control.
There is plenty of material if Googling for
'baxandall'.

--

Tauno Voipio

Old November 24th 11, 08:49 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
DaveC[_2_]

> This is the classic Baxandall tone control.
> There is plenty of material if Googling for
> 'baxandall'.
> Tauno Voipio

Thanks! It really helps to know what it's called... ;-)

This page:

<http://sound.westhost.com/dwopa2.htm>

says:
"
This circuit must be driven from a low impedance, so connecting it after the
volume control (for example) is a no-no. Ideally, the output of an opamp will
be the source, thus ensuring the required low impedance.
"
The input to this circuit will be the output of a computer's sound card. I
don't know if it's an opamp driving the output or not.

What do you suggest to insure driving by low impedance? Add a buffer opamp
(gain of 1) at the input of this circuit?

Thanks.

Old November 24th 11, 09:19 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce[_3_]

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:49:48 -0800, DaveC > wrote:

>> This is the classic Baxandall tone control.
>> There is plenty of material if Googling for
>> 'baxandall'.
>> Tauno Voipio

>Thanks! It really helps to know what it's called... ;-)
>
>This page:
>
><http://sound.westhost.com/dwopa2.htm>
>
>says:
>"
>This circuit must be driven from a low impedance, so connecting it after the
>volume control (for example) is a no-no. Ideally, the output of an opamp will
>be the source, thus ensuring the required low impedance.
>"
>The input to this circuit will be the output of a computer's sound card. I
>don't know if it's an opamp driving the output or not.
>
>What do you suggest to insure driving by low impedance? Add a buffer opamp
>(gain of 1) at the input of this circuit?
>
>Thanks.

The sound card output will be fine for driving this.

Old November 24th 11, 11:07 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison[_3_]

"Tauno Voipio"

>> <http://www.simplecircuitdiagram.com/2010/02/03/single-op-amp-tone-control/>

> This is the classic Baxandall tone control.

** It's not actually.

Seems like a ballsed up version with missing resistors that will be become
unstable at full treble.

> There is plenty of material if Googling for
> 'baxandall'.

** And like most stuff on hobby web sites it is bunkum.

The "Baxandall" tone control design was published in Wireless World in
952 - it used valves. The network is different to the one in the link above
and produces variable turnover at both the high and low ends of the range.

http://www.novotone.be/_site/projets...ndall%20WW.pdf

.... Phil