Posted to rec.audio.car
Christopher \Torroid\ Ott Christopher \Torroid\ Ott is offline

Default New system ideas?

I bought an 83' 280ZX back in January of this year. I've got a particular
fondness for these older "z" cars, as my first car (when I was a teenager)
was a 79' 280ZX. That's only been about 20 years now...

Any ideas on speaker type/size and placement? Where would you put coaxials
or even 2 way separates in such a small passenger compartment? This is a
cruzin car, no need to worry ourselves with being practical. I was thinking
about a pair of 10" or 12" subs in a custom box dividing the passenger
compartment from the rear. One firing into the rear of each seat. That
should be plenty, even with the t-tops off.

I would like to avoid the doors but won't write them off completely. The
kick panels are not very roomy. The "pod" which holds the head unit might
hold some hope...

I'm thinking generic for the moment.

Pics of the interior are he

http://www.ottelectronics.com/photos/280ZX_01.JPG
http://www.ottelectronics.com/photos/280ZX_02.JPG
http://www.ottelectronics.com/photos/280ZX_03.JPG
http://www.ottelectronics.com/photos/280ZX_04.JPG

Let the ideas fly!

Chris

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy[_3_] Captain Howdy[_3_] is offline

It's an auto non turbo model, not cool lol

In article , "Christopher
\"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at ottelectronics dot com wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Christopher \Torroid\ Ott Christopher \Torroid\ Ott is offline

You know, I don't miss the turbo so much, but the automatic makes it feel
like someone cut it's balls off. It's still fast, but you don't get the
"pressed against the seat" feeling that you do with the 5-speed.

Oh well...

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] Huber55@gmail.com is offline

On Sep 28, 12:31 pm, GeorgeMedia wrote:
[...]

Chris- Hide quoted text -

You know, by the looks of the pictures it looks like there could be
room on the kick panels to install a slim custom kick panel enclosure.
I dont know if you would be willing to make a fiberglass kick panel or
not but it looks like there would be enough room there. The only other
things i guess i could suggest is trying to mount some tweeters in the
panels by the windshield. I like the idea of the subs firing into the
back of the seats though.. were you thinking of just some small slim
boxes or just filling up that entire truck/back compartment?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Christopher \Torroid\ Ott Christopher \Torroid\ Ott is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've never done fiberglass work, but don't expect that to be real difficult.
I am concerned that the kick panels are a little too tight to accommodate
speakers without them getting damaged. They would need to be surface mounted
due to the ECM being in that exact position on the drivers side, and the
fuse panel and a huge wiring harness on the passenger side. I might get them
a little higher, but that could make for some crappy sound.

I think either the HU "pod" area or the doors might be my most practical
options, though the putting the tweeters in the windshield risers would be
do-able. I tend to like a strong mid-bass and snappy bass with minimal boom.
T-Tops on vs. off is obviously a factor there.

What I'm looking at on the sub box would be to make an approx 18" barrier
between the front and rear which rises the height of the shock towers in the
back, almost like a dam between the cargo and seat areas. This leaves the
back empty, and isn't nearly as heavy as a full box. I would still be able
to see out the rear window too.

Chris

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy[_3_] Captain Howdy[_3_] is offline

I had the 81 Turbo model with auto transmission, In low1 and low2 it eat 5.0
mustangs, once dropped into drive game was over.I had alot of fun in that car
spraying people with the headlight washer LOL.

In article , "Christopher
\"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at ottelectronics dot com wrote:
You know, I don't miss the turbo so much, but the automatic makes it feel
like someone cut it's balls off. It's still fast, but you don't get the
"pressed against the seat" feeling that you do with the 5-speed.

Oh well...

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
It's an auto non turbo model, not cool lol

Posted to rec.audio.car

On Sep 29, 11:52 pm, (Captain Howdy) wrote:
I had the 81 Turbo model with auto transmission, In low1 and low2 it eat 5.0
mustangs, once dropped into drive game was over.I had alot of fun in that car
spraying people with the headlight washer LOL.

In article , "Christopher
\"Torroid\" Ott" spamtrap at ottelectronics dot com wrote:

You know, I don't miss the turbo so much, but the automatic makes it feel
like someone cut it's balls off. It's still fast, but you don't get the
"pressed against the seat" feeling that you do with the 5-speed.

Oh well...

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
It's an auto non turbo model, not cool lol

Have you tried pulling back the door panel and looking anywhere inside
the door panel where you might be able to fit in a 5" mid? Again i
dont know how hard that would be but with it being an older car it
might be really easy. This why you could just install a mid-bass
woofer right into the door. But i guess it would look kinda wierd
having just a mid at mid-panel height but if the subs aren't going to
extend all the way to the back of the seats then maybe install some
6x9's in boxes right back there and have them face up towards the
seats. Or have the sub box extend a little and but the 6x9's right on
top and then you would have them right at ear level.

Need help, ideas... Ajanta Car Audio 2 January 1st 07 09:14 AM
Ideas on a turntable Tom Audio Opinions 11 August 7th 06 01:19 PM
Ideas on a turntable Tom General 0 August 3rd 06 01:30 AM
Any Base Ideas for VPI HW-19? Mark D High End Audio 4 November 4th 05 04:04 AM
New install ideas Brandonb Car Audio 0 June 6th 05 04:20 AM