Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Default Grace Ultra...

OK, Sound deadening has been beat to death, but I think I may have
stumbled upon something new, and I'd like to know if anyone has
experience with this product.

Referencing what is widely accepted as the most comprehensive side by
side test out there - http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ - Much
emphasis is placed upon butyl based deadening products... As such, I
had all but settled on RAAmat.

Enter today's trip to the local Building supply store... I (almost
literally) stumbled upon a box of roofing underlayment sitting outside
in the lumber yard. Grace Ultra. It had been left out in the rain, and
they were planning on throwing it away. Well, it came home with me -
and I think I'm glad it did.

Here's the specs:
http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/...ds/UL-005M.pdf

It's only 30mils thick, but each roll is 198ft^2, and I just got one for
free... I didn't ask at the time how much they were selling it for -
I'll find that out tomorrow.

From the tech sheet:
Grace Ultra is composed of two waterproofing materials – an aggressive
butyl rubber based adhesive backed by a layer of high density cross
laminated polyethylene.

PERFORMANCE PROPERTIES
Property; Value; Test Method
Color; Gray-black
Thickness, membrane; 0.76 mm (30 mil); ASTM D3767 method A
Tensile strength, membrane; 1720 kN/m2 (250 psi); ASTM D412 (Die C modified)
Elongation, membrane; 250%; ASTM D412 (Die C modified)
Low temperature flexibility; Unaffected @ -29°C (-20°F); ASTM D1970
Adhesion to plywood; 525 N/m (3.0 lbs/in. width); ASTM D903
Permeance (max); 2.9 ng/m2s Pa (0.05 Perms ASTM E96
Material weight installed; (max) 1.1 kg/m2 (0.22 lb/ft2); ASTM D461
Butyl based Adhesive

It not stinky, the polyethylene is strong, and the adhesive is STICKY.
Also, I read that it's designed for high temperature applications.

What so you think?

KeithS

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

Oh yea, I'm considering sandwiching a layer of rubberized asphalt based
deadener between the Grace in more troublesome spots... Triple the
thickness, and avoid the problems of smelly asphalt(?)

keith wrote:

[...]

From the tech sheet:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

THANK YOU FOR THE TIP!!!

I'm definitely going to check it out. I have tried ALL SORTS of
alternatives to Dynamat (including asphalt based roofing cement sold in
gallon cans which was dirt cheap and worked OK, but was hard as hell to
apply and STUNK for WEEKS while it cured!!!).

I appreciate the heads-up! Thanks.

MOSFET

"keith" wrote in message
[...]

From the tech sheet:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Be interested to hear about your results... you've already addressed the main
concerns I'd have about it (how well it'll stick, especially in a hot car, and
whether it'll smell bad) so don't need to "yeah, but..." those

keith wrote:
[...]

From the tech sheet:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

Hopefully it wont smell like assphalt

keith wrote:
[...]

From the tech sheet:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

I'll let you know next week - I'm installing it this weekend...

I have high hopes.

KeithS

keith wrote:

[...]

From the tech sheet: