Posted to rec.audio.car
Robert Roland Robert Roland is offline

Default Alpine 9855 cabling

I'm new at this, so please excuse my lack of proper lingo.

Based on advice in this group and several good reviews on the web, I
have ordered an Alpine 9855. It was out of stock, so I'll have to wait
a couple of weeks. While I wait, I will start installing the rest of
the stuff I bought.

I bought a pair of 6x9s with one amp and a 10" sub with another amp,
everything is to be placed in the rear of the car. Normally, I'd pull
two signal cables (left and right) and split them with a Y-splitter,
so I can get signal into both amps.

However, the specs for the 9855 state a feature called "3 PreOuts".
What does this mean? I suspect it might mean that there is a separate
sub output on the 9855, so that I will need an extra (3 in total)
signal cable from front to rear.
--
RoRo

Posted to rec.audio.car
Soundy Soundy is offline

Your lingo is fine

That deck has separate stereo outputs for front, rear, and subwoofer
feeds, as well as built-in crossover, so yes, ideally, you would want
to run separate signal wires for each amp. With a single sub, you'll
probably want to run the sub amp in bridged mode, if it supports it and
can handle the load, off the deck's sub output.

If you're still running your front speakers off the deck power, though,
you will likely find them overwhelmed by the rear speakers running off
the other amp, and most of your sound will seem to come from the rear
of the car... you may want to consider a four-channel amp to drive your
front speakers as well as your 6x9s (and if they're stock speakers in
the front, you'll probably want to upgrade those as well.

Robert Roland wrote:
I'm new at this, so please excuse my lack of proper lingo.

Based on advice in this group and several good reviews on the web, I
have ordered an Alpine 9855. It was out of stock, so I'll have to wait
a couple of weeks. While I wait, I will start installing the rest of
the stuff I bought.

I bought a pair of 6x9s with one amp and a 10" sub with another amp,
everything is to be placed in the rear of the car. Normally, I'd pull
two signal cables (left and right) and split them with a Y-splitter,
so I can get signal into both amps.

However, the specs for the 9855 state a feature called "3 PreOuts".
What does this mean? I suspect it might mean that there is a separate
sub output on the 9855, so that I will need an extra (3 in total)
signal cable from front to rear.
--
RoRo

Posted to rec.audio.car
Robert Roland Robert Roland is offline

On 30 Sep 2006 12:26:14 -0700, "Soundy"
wrote:

That deck has separate stereo outputs for front, rear, and subwoofer
feeds, as well as built-in crossover, so yes, ideally, you would want
to run separate signal wires for each amp.

Thanks. Two pairs of signal cable is now in place. Good thing I asked
first, cause I'd not like to do that job one more time :-)

With a single sub, you'll
probably want to run the sub amp in bridged mode, if it supports it and
can handle the load, off the deck's sub output.

That is the plan. I checked that the amp can be bridged before I
bought it.

If you're still running your front speakers off the deck power, though,
you will likely find them overwhelmed by the rear speakers running off
the other amp, and most of your sound will seem to come from the rear
of the car... you may want to consider a four-channel amp to drive your
front speakers as well as your 6x9s (and if they're stock speakers in
the front, you'll probably want to upgrade those as well.

I am actually working on replacing the front speakers now. It will
take some work to get the new ones to fit, since the magnet is much
bigger. They are still only 4", though, so they'll probably still come
out a little underwhelming, compared to the 6x9s. I'll try it and see
how it works. It's likely to be good enough for me.
--
RoRo

Posted to rec.audio.car
Robert Roland Robert Roland is offline

On 30 Sep 2006 14:55:36 -0700, "The Lull"
wrote:

Your suspicions are correct. 3 Pre-Outs = Front, Rear, and Sub.

Ah, so that's how they count'em. I thought it was left, right and sub
:-)

Thanks.
--
RoRo