Posted to rec.audio.car
musiclover408 musiclover408 is offline

Default Hiding Subwoofer box in hatch back

I am looking at getting a Mitsubishi Eclipse and have 2 10 inch subs in
a box that I would not like everyone to be able to see by looking in
the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to "hide" them
as best as possible? Thanks so much!!

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

If you want to get creative, many people these days use fiberglass to turn
their spare-tire well into a subwoofer enclosure. A custom looking grill
can be fabricated later to give a very inconspicuous, stock appearance.
This is about your best bet if you want to go the total "stealth" route, but
you still want decent bass.

As far as losing the spare tire, hell, that's what cell phones are for,
right?

MOSFET

"musiclover408" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am looking at getting a Mitsubishi Eclipse and have 2 10 inch subs in
a box that I would not like everyone to be able to see by looking in
the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to "hide" them
as best as possible? Thanks so much!!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

My memory may be off on this, but I seem to recall that the Eclipse has a
spare-tire "hump" that protrudes from the hatch floor, and the tire sits over
that. I only remember this because we had one in at the shop I used to work at,
and the installers that built the box actually made one that sat OVER the hump,
with a big fiberglass "indentation" formed to fit over the hump.

Something the OP could try, if this is the case with his car, is a pair of
separate, low-profile boxes that sit to either side of the hatch. As you
suggested, custom grilles and some black carpet should hide it all nicely.

MOSFET wrote:
If you want to get creative, many people these days use fiberglass to turn
their spare-tire well into a subwoofer enclosure. A custom looking grill
can be fabricated later to give a very inconspicuous, stock appearance.
This is about your best bet if you want to go the total "stealth" route, but
you still want decent bass.

As far as losing the spare tire, hell, that's what cell phones are for,
right?

MOSFET

"musiclover408" wrote in message
ps.com...

I am looking at getting a Mitsubishi Eclipse and have 2 10 inch subs in
a box that I would not like everyone to be able to see by looking in
the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to "hide" them
as best as possible? Thanks so much!!

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"musiclover408" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am looking at getting a Mitsubishi Eclipse and have 2 10 inch subs in
a box that I would not like everyone to be able to see by looking in
the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to "hide" them
as best as possible? Thanks so much!!

Doesn't the Eclipse have a rear package tray that covers the rear?

Posted to rec.audio.car
The Lull The Lull is offline

Build a false floor, much like I did a false wall...
Check out the pictures, you'll see what I mean:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462751
~The Lull
e-nigma wrote:
"musiclover408" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am looking at getting a Mitsubishi Eclipse and have 2 10 inch subs in
a box that I would not like everyone to be able to see by looking in
the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to "hide" them
as best as possible? Thanks so much!!

Doesn't the Eclipse have a rear package tray that covers the rear?

Posted to rec.audio.car
keith keith is offline

I like the false floor idea... Downfiring subs, and a ventilated amp
rack, all under cover. I'm sure it's been done. Have you checked out
www.sounddomain.com for other eclipse installs?

Sounds like a fun project!
KeithS

e-nigma wrote:

"musiclover408" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am looking at getting a Mitsubishi Eclipse and have 2 10 inch subs in
a box that I would not like everyone to be able to see by looking in
the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to "hide" them
as best as possible? Thanks so much!!

Doesn't the Eclipse have a rear package tray that covers the rear?

rec.audio.car FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (caution, this is HUGE) MOSFET Car Audio 0 June 18th 06 05:27 AM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
Newbie Subwoofer questions OodlesoFun General 28 January 12th 04 05:51 PM
Newbie Subwoofer questions OodlesoFun Audio Opinions 23 January 12th 04 05:51 PM
Newbie Subwoofer questions OodlesoFun Tech 92 January 12th 04 05:51 PM