Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] cmlove2003@yahoo.com is offline

Default new radio / amp LOW SOUND OUTPUT

to the experts,
For my boat I've recently instaled a new Sony radio, 6 CD changer, new
speakers inside and out and a new 4 channel amp. When I raise the
volume the radio or CD start cutting out?
I've upped the amp already.... ... I think 600 watts. Is it the amp and
do I need more power? or two amps; 1 for each speaker set or is it the
radio?
Plenty on voltage and installed correctly, sounds great at a reasonable
volume just at times you want it to be louder!!
Before I go back to Circuit City what questionas do I need to ask Amp
or Radio??
Thanks in advance

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

This is JUST a guess, but it sounds like your amp is running out of current
(and shutting down) or going into protection mode. I say this because the
way you describe it makes it sound like it happens (cuts out) only when you
turn the volume up to a certain point. Is this correct?

So there are several things to check first of all. Get your hands on a
voltmeter and measure the voltage at the amplifier when the system is turned
way up. If it drops below 9 or 10, well..... there's your problem. Your
amp MUST receive at least about 10 volts to stay on, any less and it will
shut itself off. IF I HAD TO BET MONEY ON A CAUSE, I WOULD SAY THIS IS IT.

If the voltage is fine, I would make sure you do not have the speakers
connected in a way that the amp "sees" too low an impedence load. This,
too, would also cause the amp to shut down if the volume got too high.
Also, does the amp get very, very hot when it shuts itself off?

But first step, check voltage.

MOSFET

wrote in message
oups.com...
to the experts,
For my boat I've recently instaled a new Sony radio, 6 CD changer, new
speakers inside and out and a new 4 channel amp. When I raise the
volume the radio or CD start cutting out?
I've upped the amp already.... ... I think 600 watts. Is it the amp and
do I need more power? or two amps; 1 for each speaker set or is it the
radio?
Plenty on voltage and installed correctly, sounds great at a reasonable
volume just at times you want it to be louder!!
Before I go back to Circuit City what questionas do I need to ask Amp
or Radio??
Thanks in advance

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] cmlove2003@yahoo.com is offline

Thanks I'll try the voltage drop...would be surprised but easy to test.
Not sure what the coment speakers there new and newly wired , good
connections.