Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Default Another Car-Specific Question (I Know You All Hate These)...

Hello to all who know me, and to those who don't,

I became the proud owner of a 2000 VW Jetta GL fairly recently, and as
such I'm putting a system into it. I've got all the parts, but have a
question about installation.

I bought a pair of Polk Audio 7-inch, two way speakers for the rear
channel (ooooh, aren't they pretty?
http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLDB675?vq_id=none ). I had been
planning on installing them into the rear doors (stock location, where
there are already some [blown] speakers), but I decided that's not what
I want. I want these bad boys in the rear deck. Every car guide that
I've looked at says that my vehicle has stock speaker locations in the
rear deck, but this particular car hasn't had anything installed there
yet.

I know that I can basically just take a cutting implement and cut out
the holes (as long as there really are mounting holes in the steel of
the deck), but I wanted to check here first and see if anyone has run
into problems at all with this tack...

Comments, questions, and concerns are all welcome.

~Mister.Lull

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

By the way, here's a little shameless self promotion.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462751
I'll post the link again when I'm all finished (I'm doing the install
this coming weekend).

~Mister.Lull
Mister.Lull wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

Don't know a damn thing about putting a system in that car, but
congratulations. VW makes some nice cars. Good luck!

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
brianlanning brianlanning is offline

Mister.Lull wrote:
I know that I can basically just take a cutting implement and cut out
the holes (as long as there really are mounting holes in the steel of
the deck), but I wanted to check here first and see if anyone has run
into problems at all with this tack...
Comments, questions, and concerns are all welcome.

Hi. You can cut through the cloth and hardboard in the rear deck. If
there are already stock holes in the metal under there, you're done.
Open the trunk and look under, you should be able to see them. If
there aren't any holes in the metal (i'd be surprised if there aren't
any), there's no reason why you couldn't cut holes in the metal. It's
more work. Just use the right tool. Pre-drill some holes for the tabs
on the speakers and attach them with sheet metal screws.

brian

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Coolio,

So you've done this and not run into any problems then?

~Mister.Lull
brianlanning wrote:
Mister.Lull wrote:
I know that I can basically just take a cutting implement and cut out
the holes (as long as there really are mounting holes in the steel of
the deck), but I wanted to check here first and see if anyone has run
into problems at all with this tack...
Comments, questions, and concerns are all welcome.

Hi. You can cut through the cloth and hardboard in the rear deck. If
there are already stock holes in the metal under there, you're done.
Open the trunk and look under, you should be able to see them. If
there aren't any holes in the metal (i'd be surprised if there aren't
any), there's no reason why you couldn't cut holes in the metal. It's
more work. Just use the right tool. Pre-drill some holes for the tabs
on the speakers and attach them with sheet metal screws.

brian

Posted to rec.audio.car
FasDeth FasDeth is offline

Brian,wrote....

Hi. You can cut through the cloth and hardboard in the rear deck. If
there are already stock holes in the metal under there, you're done.
Open the trunk and look under, you should be able to see them. If
there aren't any holes in the metal (i'd be surprised if there aren't
any), there's no reason why you couldn't cut holes in the metal. It's
more work. Just use the right tool. Pre-drill some holes for the tabs
on the speakers and attach them with sheet metal screws.

brian

You might want to remove the rear deck completely . This should make
things easier.. After you make your holes in the metal, slip the deck
back in and mark it from underneath . Take it back out and make your
adjustments.. I personally would bottom mount the speakers and leave
the grills out. Recover the deck with some matching non-backed
(stretch)carpet.. This should keep it stock looking. Grills seem to
stand out to much for me..

FasDeth
Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Thanks for the response!
I'm sure you're correct in that removing the rear deck fully is the
best way to go about putting holes in it. And as for putting holes in
the metal, I'm not going to. If there aren't stock holes in the metal
shelf, then I'm not even going to bother with the whole idea. I'm
betting that there are already mounting holes though...
I understand about wanting the stock look, I'm usually all about that.
If I were going to do my usual thing (the stealth install) I would
probably just put the speakers in the rear doors (where there are
already [blown] speakers and stock grills). And I still may do that,
depending on how time consuming this rear deck idea looks like it will
be... But first of all, I'm almost certain that the speakers are going
to sound better in the deck (or at least more like what I'm used to).
Second, what I'd like on this install is to indulge in one bit of flair
- and I really like the grills that come with those speakers. Third,
the previous owner of this car put some nice tint on all the windows so
my 'flair' won't even be that big of a show. Oh, and last but not
least - it'll be a ****-load easier to top mount the speakers, throw
the grills on, and be done with it in my opinion...
~Mister.Lull

FasDeth wrote:
Brian,wrote....

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
RG RG is offline

There are no prefab speaker openings in the rear deck metal of MKIV Jettas.

- RG

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

FasDeth wrote:
Brian,wrote....

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Way to poop on my parade RG...
:-)
....you know I'm still going to look, don't you? I won't be able to
help myself - plus I've got a couple of websites telling me that there
are prefab holes. Personally, I hope you're wrong.

I'll find out tonight. Here's hopin'!

~Mister.Lull
RG wrote:
[...]

FasDeth wrote:
Brian,wrote....

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car

Mister.Lull wrote:
Coolio,

So you've done this and not run into any problems then?

Not the rear deck, but I've enlarged the metal in the door speaker
opening. What problems are you thinking might happen?

brian

Posted to rec.audio.car
brianlanning brianlanning is offline

The 96 passat GLX (I had one) came with one of five different
alternators. You had to look at the vin code to figure out which one
you had. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the jettas had the factory
holes and some didn't, even in the same make, model, and year. It may
even have something in between. Maybe they used to same die to stamp
the rear deck for cars with and without the speaker holes, and then cut
the final holes for only the cars that needed them.

brian

Mister.Lull wrote:
Way to poop on my parade RG...
:-)
...you know I'm still going to look, don't you? I won't be able to
help myself - plus I've got a couple of websites telling me that there
are prefab holes. Personally, I hope you're wrong.

I'll find out tonight. Here's hopin'!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

[Heavy Sigh]
God damn it.

There are no prefab holes in the rear deck metal (Thank you, RG. It's
not that I didn't believe you, it's that I had to see for myself). It
wouldve sounded so GOOD, too. Ah, well - **** it. I guess we'll find
out how it sounds when your two-ways are down by where someone's feet
would go if they were sitting in the back seat. If it's sufficiently
bad, I may have to get some components (there are tweeter mounting
locations [that already have blown tweets mounted] up by the rear door
handles)...

I'm almost done building the box!! This is gonna be one pretty piece
of Audio Art. Wish me luck everyone!! (Pics will be posted and
whatnot by Wednesday! I'll post to let everyone know where/when!)

~Mister.Lull
brianlanning wrote:
The 96 passat GLX (I had one) came with one of five different
alternators. You had to look at the vin code to figure out which one
you had. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the jettas had the factory
holes and some didn't, even in the same make, model, and year. It may
even have something in between. Maybe they used to same die to stamp
the rear deck for cars with and without the speaker holes, and then cut
the final holes for only the cars that needed them.

brian

Mister.Lull wrote:
Way to poop on my parade RG...
:-)
...you know I'm still going to look, don't you? I won't be able to
help myself - plus I've got a couple of websites telling me that there
are prefab holes. Personally, I hope you're wrong.

I'll find out tonight. Here's hopin'!

Posted to rec.audio.car

Mister.Lull wrote:
There are no prefab holes in the rear deck metal (Thank you, RG. It's
not that I didn't believe you, it's that I had to see for myself). It
wouldve sounded so GOOD, too. Ah, well - **** it. I guess we'll find
out how it sounds when your two-ways are down by where someone's feet
would go if they were sitting in the back seat. If it's sufficiently
bad, I may have to get some components (there are tweeter mounting
locations [that already have blown tweets mounted] up by the rear door
handles)...

You could surface mount the tweeters on the rear deck and put the big
speakers in the doors. That might help the situation. You're just
looking for rear fill so imaging wouldn't be a problem. You could also
put those 6x9 enclosures on top of the rear deck. It would be ugly,
but it you solve your problem. :-)

brian