Adam Stouffer

Default Regulator for preamp

What kind of ripple reduction can be expected when using series tube
regulators? I'm thinking about building an RIAA preamp with 6GK5s and
having a regulated supply seems like the best choice for reducing hum.

For a pass tube I was thinking of using a russian 6C19 triode.
http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/112/6/6C19P.pdf

They were designed for regulator service and would be a better fit for
the chassis. If it came down to using a pentode then a 6W6 would be my
other choice. Any comments or suggestions?

Adam
John Stewart

Adam Stouffer wrote:

What kind of ripple reduction can be expected when using series tube
regulators? I'm thinking about building an RIAA preamp with 6GK5s and
having a regulated supply seems like the best choice for reducing hum.

For a pass tube I was thinking of using a russian 6C19 triode.
http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/112/6/6C19P.pdf

They were designed for regulator service and would be a better fit for
the chassis. If it came down to using a pentode then a 6W6 would be my
other choice. Any comments or suggestions?

Adam

That link pulled up a damper diode. JLS

Adam Stouffer

John Stewart wrote:

That link pulled up a damper diode. JLS

Doh! maybe I should actually read the sheet before posting. Heres the
real links:

http://www.mclink.it/com/audiomatica/tubes/6c19c.htm

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/113/6/6S19P.pdf

Adam
Fabio Berutti

The 6S19 is the first choice for that service 'cause it has been purposedly
engineered to pass lots of current with a moderate voltage loss, but if You
want to save one tube (the error amplifier), You can use triode/pentodes
like 6BM8 or 6GV8, cheap-as-dirt and effective up to some 40 mA. See
http://www.the-planet.org/6GV8.html

Ciao

Fabio

"Adam Stouffer" ha scritto nel messaggio
What kind of ripple reduction can be expected when using series tube
regulators? I'm thinking about building an RIAA preamp with 6GK5s and
having a regulated supply seems like the best choice for reducing hum.

For a pass tube I was thinking of using a russian 6C19 triode.
http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/112/6/6C19P.pdf

They were designed for regulator service and would be a better fit for the
chassis. If it came down to using a pentode then a 6W6 would be my other
choice. Any comments or suggestions?

Adam

JamesG

Any reasonably large low mu triode will do, but you can also use pentodes or
tetrodes too. I tend to favor TV sweep tubes myself. In my last project, I
used a 21JS6A as a regulator that can pass up to 250ma. Used a 6BM8 for an
error amplifier. In my hands, I ended up with about 20mV ripple with about
1% change in voltage from 0 to full load. Theoretically, you should be able
to get a lot better than that, but that was good enough for this project.

JamesG

"Fabio Berutti" wrote in message
[...]

Steven Swift

"JamesG" writes:

What kind of ripple reduction can be expected when using series tube
regulators? I'm thinking about building an RIAA preamp with 6GK5s and

Ripple is reduced by the loop gain at the frequency of the ripple (120Hz for
full wave).
--
Steven D. Swift, , http://www.novatech-instr.com
NOVATECH INSTRUMENTS, INC. P.O. Box 55997
Steven Swift

I like to use TV tubes as they are cheap and easy to find. My bench
has a 6JZ8 triode-pentode compactron (from the 1969 GE essential
characteristics book) power supply. I put a switch on the
transformer so I can run 6JZ8, 13JZ8 or 17JZ8. For low current, I
used a 6GH8A (probably the easiest tube to find in the USA). This is
the one I made for testing battery radios:
http://novatech-instr.com/Fun/tubeps2.pdf (ignore the transistor part
on the bottom).