Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dewittian Dewittian is offline

Default need help creating streaming audio on the net

I started to research how to put streaming audio on my web site and
some of the sites that come up from Google talk about spending between
$40.00 and $100.00 for software to assist. I was hoping someone in
the group could just give me the basics on what to do after I export
it as an 'Advanced Streaming Audio' file.

Now that my export will make a .WMA (windows media file) I figure all
I need to do is upload it to the web server with a url tag on my web
page.

If someone can give me the basics, or send me a link that explains it,
or a freeware to assist, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Dewittian wrote:
I started to research how to put streaming audio on my web site and
some of the sites that come up from Google talk about spending between
$40.00 and $100.00 for software to assist. I was hoping someone in
the group could just give me the basics on what to do after I export
it as an 'Advanced Streaming Audio' file.

Why do you want to stream audio? What is wrong with just having video
files for download? Do you need to do it in realtime?

Now that my export will make a .WMA (windows media file) I figure all
I need to do is upload it to the web server with a url tag on my web
page.

No, that won't allow realtime streaming. That only allows people to
click on the file and play it. And actually, you can do that perfectly
well with an mp3 file.

If someone can give me the basics, or send me a link that explains it,
or a freeware to assist, I'd sure appreciate it.

The first question is to make sure you really need to be streaming, the
second is to find out what operating system and which web server software
is running on your server. You will need assistance from the folks
running the server to set up full streaming.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dewittian Dewittian is offline

On Nov 11, 8:25*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
In article ,

Dewittian wrote:
[...]

"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

The reason i need streaming is I don't want to have people just
download the files. I want them to be able to click on a streaming
media file on the web page and listen to sections of a few tunes to
see if they want to buy the whole song or the full CD and not steal it
by downloading and MP3. I found a way to just stream without and
volume controls or pause and play. This technique doesn't bring up
any computer media players like windows media playes. I've heard of
using flash but correct me that's just an automatic play when people
open your web page.

As to video files I could make one but the point is to sell my self
released CD at $5.00 and build a track record of sales to prove the
viability of the product. I'll call Homestead to see what can be
done.

Does anybody have any suggestions on the best web provider for this
application?

Thanks,

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Dewittian" wrote ...
The reason i need streaming is I don't want to have people just
download the files. I want them to be able to click on a streaming
media file on the web page

There is no practical way of preventing people from saving copies
of anything that is streamed.

and listen to sections of a few tunes to
see if they want to buy the whole song or the full CD and not steal it
by downloading and MP3.

If only example sections (20-30 seconds?) are available, how are
they going to steal the whole song?

I found a way to just stream without and volume controls or pause
and play.

That is rather user-vicious. I would boycott anyone who did that to me.

This technique doesn't bring up any computer media players like
windows media playes.

Of course it does. It may not bring up a visible window, though.

I've heard of using flash but correct me that's just an automatic
play when people open your web page.

Flash will do whatever you program it to do. Including whatever
kinds of user controls, song sample selection, etc etc. I've seen
some online music sites that use Flash-based custom "players"
specifically for that reason.

As to video files I could make one but the point is to sell my self
released CD at $5.00 and build a track record of sales to prove the
viability of the product. I'll call Homestead to see what can be
done.

Does anybody have any suggestions on the best web provider for this
application?

www.cdbaby.com is the largest independent online seller of both
CDs and MP3 downloads (via iTunes, eMusic, and ~50 other
online music sellers). They also provide online sampling of your
selected tracks from your CD. Recommended.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dewittian Dewittian is offline

On Nov 14, 9:52*am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Dewittian" *wrote ...

[...]

Maybe i was misunderstood. I don't want to just upload the files as
full songs in .MP3 format where people can download them free. I wan
tot put 20 second streaming samples of them and let them lower or
raise the volume and have pause or play.

This technique doesn't bring up any computer media players like
windows media playes.

Of course it does. It may not bring up a visible window, though.

I don't need a visible window, just something that looks like a player
so they can change the volume etc..

Flash will do whatever you program it to do. Including whatever
kinds of user controls, song sample selection, etc etc. I've seen
some online music sites that use Flash-based custom "players"
specifically for that reason.

It sound like flash is the way to go but where can I get a sample of
the code. I've never written flash before?

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Danny T Danny T is offline

On Nov 14, 9:28*am, Dewittian wrote:
[...]

There is an easy way to do that with most of the web programs just by
adding the file with quicktime but the easiest way to do it is to find
a site that lets you use their player and gives you the code to put
elsewhere. I belong to one of those parrot head groups called meet the
phlockers. They have a player you can check out. here is my page
http://www.meetthephlockers.com/profile/DannyTaddei
you can put up your songs there and then copy and paste the code they
give you and put it where you want.
If you put a stream of 20 seconds you won't have to worry about songs
being downloaded but if you do sell files they will get all over the
place really fast. You can find most of what I have let out to
commercial just by getting on limewire. I thing you're better off just
putting up a stream of your songs and dealing with the fact that a few
(very few) will know how to download the file from a stream. most
people are really archaic when it comes to anything with computers.
they only know the basics and would rather just pay the 99 cents at
itunes. I wouldn't worry too much about things like that. Of course I
might be delusional but what they hell.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Dewittian" wrote ...
Maybe i was misunderstood. I don't want to just upload the files as
full songs in .MP3 format where people can download them free. I wan
tot put 20 second streaming samples of them and let them lower or
raise the volume and have pause or play.

No, that is exactly what we thought you were asking for. It is the
method virtually everyone uses. Simply upload your 20-second
samples as MP3 files and allow users to either listen as a stream
or download them as they wish.

I don't need a visible window, just something that looks like a player
so they can change the volume etc..

You haven't made a case against simply posting MP3 files of your
samples and letting listeners do with them what they wish. Why do
you think you have to control how they play them? You have not
explained WHY you want them to use YOUR player?

It sound like flash is the way to go but where can I get a sample of
the code. I've never written flash before?

Google returned 907 hits for: "flash preview player"

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 07:28:53 -0800 (PST), Dewittian
wrote:

Maybe i was misunderstood. I don't want to just upload the files as
full songs in .MP3 format where people can download them free. I wan
tot put 20 second streaming samples of them and let them lower or
raise the volume and have pause or play.

Why not just put 20 second samples in MP3 format? If they download
them, so what? They could have recorded the streaming audio to a file
anyway.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
George Jetson George Jetson is offline

wrote:

Maybe i was misunderstood. I don't want to just upload the files as
full songs in .MP3 format where people can download them free. I wan
tot put 20 second streaming samples of them and let them lower or
raise the volume and have pause or play.

Why not just put 20 second samples in MP3 format? If they download
them, so what? They could have recorded the streaming audio to a file
anyway.

If you won't defend your decision then its probably irrational, or a troll.

Creating a CD/DVD WMA Audio Disk W. Watson General 2 January 20th 06 05:03 PM
Creating Audio Cd for a 50 min Wave file [email protected] Pro Audio 12 April 22nd 05 07:21 PM
Creating Audio CD Mickey Mouse Tech 0 December 2nd 04 02:12 AM
Moving towards creating rec.audio.pro.saloon Jay Levitt Pro Audio 417 October 10th 04 04:31 AM
Moving towards creating rec.audio.pro.saloon Jay Levitt Pro Audio 0 September 23rd 04 01:33 PM