Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

Default New Audio Interface - MOTU 828 MK3 or RME FF800?

Hi All;

I am looking to upgrade my Tascam FW1804 after my recent project completes
for the following reasons:

1. Better souding A/D conversion.
2. Ability to do 96K S/MUX from my Mackie 800R through dual ADAT
Connections.

I would much rather go with the RME (due to their reputation of higher
quality AD converters) but the issue is monitoring the 4 front preamps prior
to the AD converters. This doesn't seem to be a problem on the MOTU as I
can probably take a line level out from the sends on the back of the unit
which are pre conversion. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to do this
on the RME or if there is a huge difference in converters on the RME vs the
828 MK3?

Thanks;
Steve

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Steve wrote:
I would much rather go with the RME (due to their reputation of higher
quality AD converters) but the issue is monitoring the 4 front preamps prior
to the AD converters. This doesn't seem to be a problem on the MOTU as I
can probably take a line level out from the sends on the back of the unit
which are pre conversion. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to do this
on the RME or if there is a huge difference in converters on the RME vs the
828 MK3?

Why not just Y your signal off from the preamp into the RME and into whatever
you're using for monitoring?

I currently use a bunch of ADI RME-8 boxes and they sound pretty good. They
aren't as clean on top as the Prisms but they are a lot cheaper.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

Scott;

The preamps I am using (2 FMR RNP's) I can take the inserts for monitoring
then feed the line outs to the balanced ins. I am more concerned about
monitoring the RME preamps. The 800R I have the line out snake so that's
not an issue there.

Is there any way to route the preamps to the line outs on the RME without
any latency?

Steve

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article , Steve wrote:
I would much rather go with the RME (due to their reputation of higher
quality AD converters) but the issue is monitoring the 4 front preamps
prior
to the AD converters. This doesn't seem to be a problem on the MOTU as I
can probably take a line level out from the sends on the back of the unit
which are pre conversion. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to do this
on the RME or if there is a huge difference in converters on the RME vs
the
828 MK3?

Why not just Y your signal off from the preamp into the RME and into
whatever
you're using for monitoring?

I currently use a bunch of ADI RME-8 boxes and they sound pretty good.
They
aren't as clean on top as the Prisms but they are a lot cheaper.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

Scott;

I have had my questions answered on the RME discussion group. I have only
one addition one for you:

How do you find the preamps on the RME? I would imagine they are no Great
River......but.....useable?

Cheers;

In article , Steve wrote:
I would much rather go with the RME (due to their reputation of higher
quality AD converters) but the issue is monitoring the 4 front preamps
prior
to the AD converters. This doesn't seem to be a problem on the MOTU as I
can probably take a line level out from the sends on the back of the unit
which are pre conversion. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to do this
on the RME or if there is a huge difference in converters on the RME vs
the
828 MK3?

Why not just Y your signal off from the preamp into the RME and into
whatever
you're using for monitoring?

I currently use a bunch of ADI RME-8 boxes and they sound pretty good.
They
aren't as clean on top as the Prisms but they are a lot cheaper.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Steve wrote:

I have had my questions answered on the RME discussion group. I have only
one addition one for you:

How do you find the preamps on the RME? I would imagine they are no Great
River......but.....useable?

Ahh, I have the older ADI-8 which has no preamps. That's why I was getting
a little confused by your question. I have an 8-channel preamp going into
the line inputs of the RME, and the T-DIF outputs of the RME going into a
DA-38 recorder. Then I have the outputs of the RME going into a small rack
mixer to provide a monitor feed. I have three boxes like this which can
be linked together in the field to provide up to 24-track recording, but
each of which fits comfortably in the trunk of my car.

I imagine the ADI-8 could probably be improved with some parts upgrades, but
the overall layout is excellent and the grounding scheme is very careful and
well-reasoned. There is very little coupling between the digital and analogue
sides, and it was clearly designed by someone who knew mixed-signal layout.

I have not used the newer FF800.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] paul@nospam.net is offline

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:47:49 -0400, "Steve" wrote:

Hi All;

I am looking to upgrade my Tascam FW1804 after my recent project completes
for the following reasons:

1. Better souding A/D conversion.
2. Ability to do 96K S/MUX from my Mackie 800R through dual ADAT
Connections.

I would much rather go with the RME (due to their reputation of higher
quality AD converters) but the issue is monitoring the 4 front preamps prior
to the AD converters. This doesn't seem to be a problem on the MOTU as I
can probably take a line level out from the sends on the back of the unit
which are pre conversion. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to do this
on the RME or if there is a huge difference in converters on the RME vs the
828 MK3?

Thanks;
Steve

Hi Steve,
I have the FF800 and am quite happy with it. I have heard the MOTU,
but not side by side with mine so I wont give a worthless opinion.
I go from my bank of preamps into the FF800 and from there into the
computer running Nuendo. I have the tracks coming back to to the FF800
(Via Firewire) as main and monitor mixes. The main staight to an amp
and onto a Mackie 1604 that I use for monitor mixes.