Posted to rec.audio.tech
Steve Munez Steve Munez is offline

Default Looking for Audio Enhancement/members.cox.net/tanger/dre_dre_mix.zipRestoration Tips (Old Mix Cassette) - File Included - dre_dre_mix.mp3 (0/1)

I have been taking old recordings and restoring them for some time
now. I use WAVELAB with the Ozone Izotope Plugin and the WAVES
plugins. However there is just some audio recordings out there I have
not been able to enhance very well.

I am pleading with anyone who loves music to help me here, any advice
that can point me in the right direction would help. I have attached a
small clip to this post and compressed it at 320 CBR in hopes that
someone can play around and see if sound enhancement is possible, and
what you did to fix it. If you do not want to bother trying to fix the
sound, and can just hear the file and offer advice that is fine by me.

I have seen some pretty bad recordings restored by people, and just do
not have the skills I guess. This file does have Noise in it also, but
that usually is not a problem for me, it is the audio clarity I am
looking for. However if you want to offer advice on when to clean the
noise (before or after enhancement) that would be nice because I have
always wondered when is the right time for that step.

Again the file is attached but I will also offer up a link for
downloading in case you cannot retrieve the attachment.

You can get it at:

http://members.cox.net/tanger/dre_dre_mix.zip

Thanks in Advance!

Trick
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

Steve Munez wrote:

I have seen some pretty bad recordings restored by people, and just do
not have the skills I guess. This file does have Noise in it also, but
that usually is not a problem for me,

It is generally harsh to listen to, a wee bit of noise reduction properly
applied may alleviate that.

it is the audio clarity I am looking for.

The real treble is masked by the frequency response error, be it dolby or
just misaligned machine(s), and the real bass is (probably, I'm on the
laptops speakers) similarly masked by the upper bass hump-

However if you want to offer advice on when to clean the
noise (before or after enhancement) that would be nice because I have
always wondered when is the right time for that step.

I didn't devote time to create a fake noise sample, some of the time it can
be better to use pink or white noise at a "suitable level" than to use the
actual noise. Based on knowing that it compact casette and the level
histogram fake noise at some -40 dB peak and a low percentage of reduction
might do. But now is not the right time, allow yourself a lot of
experimentation, doing less is a strong strategy.

Again the file is attached but I will also offer up a link for
downloading in case you cannot retrieve the attachment.

Thank you.

You can get it at:

http://members.cox.net/tanger/dre_dre_mix.zip

Doing that gets you an instant morning coffee before the recording follow up
..... I just applied graphic eq, 4 and 8 a bit down, 12 and 16 (or so) a bit
up, similarly 120 a bit down and 60 and 30 a bit up and then it sounded open
on the laptop instead of stressed. Don't try noise reduction if you are not
used to use it, but it may be that a bit of vinyl scratch removal may soften
it a bit ... or make it dull, but some of the time it does create an
illusion of cleanness.

Thanks in Advance!

Your three minutes are up ... oh, fix the channel balance and IF you are
used to using a frequency content analysis tool eq fix the difference
between treble response. You could try making a better transfer, however -
Scott may bash me for saying this - casettes are casettes, and this appears
from the grainy sound to be the high speed copied version thereof, so there
probably aint no stability in the response errors to aim for. Scotts advice
would however be to have a quality deck with easily acessible head
adjustment and listen for the sound to be right while checking on a scope
..... imo the sell out was when it was put on the tape ...

Trick

Kind regards

Peter Larsen