Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph[_4_] Ralph[_4_] is offline

Default Sony PCM R-300 DAT Recorder Eats Tape

My Sony PCM R-300 is starting to destroy tapes when fast forwarding or
rewinding. It appears like insufficient torque on cassette takeup and
supply reels in these modes. No problem, 0 errors, with recording and
playback. Recorder has 500 hours on it. I've heard there is a
modification to correct this. Anyone know what it is. Would appreciate help.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Ralph wrote:
My Sony PCM R-300 is starting to destroy tapes when fast forwarding or
rewinding. It appears like insufficient torque on cassette takeup and
supply reels in these modes. No problem, 0 errors, with recording and
playback. Recorder has 500 hours on it. I've heard there is a
modification to correct this. Anyone know what it is. Would appreciate help.

If the recorder hasn't been PMed in more than a year, it's time to send
it in for a PM and get all the rubber parts changed. What you describe
sounds like a rubber idler going bad.

These machines need cleaning and alignment every year or so, and if you
neglect maintenance, bad things start to happen.

I don't know of any particular modification for these machines, but if
there is one, Eddie Ciletti or the Oade Brothers will probably know.
My bet is that a simple PM will fix your problems, though.