Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] tatemitchell@gmail.com is offline

Default best way to fake a car antenna?

Hi, I posted a week or so ago about the car stereo in home bit. Thanks
for the help.

What would be the best way to fake an antenna for the stereo? It's a
sony plain jane tape deck, and I need an antenna for it to pick up
radio. What would be a good route to go? Do they sell just the plug-in
part at auto stores, without buying a whole antenna set? I want to
spend as little money as possible, as well as try and not get dirty
going to a parts yard and fooling around trying to rip one out of a
junker.

Are there substitutes for this? I mean it's basically a big RCA looking
plug, I don't know how it attaches to the cord, whether it's separable
or inseparable, are there any other places to look where I might find
one for cheap? Does any other electronic use them? Anything I could use
in its place?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

find a metal rake and hook a wire from the antenna input on the receiver
to the bottom of the rake. worked when we were in the boonies in
missouri. oh, and you might have to lean it up against a tire also.

or, plan B.......go to a stereo shop and buy the input connector (big
RCA looking plug) and basically all you need is a wire extending from
that.........upwards.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] tatemitchell@gmail.com is offline

Yeah,

I just ended up crimping some copper wire and sticking it in the hole,
and it works good.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

that's what I did for my antenna on my home receiver. lost the FM
connector, so I just stuck the bare AM wire (who uses AM anyways?) into
the FM input. antennae are just glorified wires anyways.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Just out of curiosity, why ARE you going to all this effort to get a car stereo
working in the house? I mean, if it's just for experimentation, that's cool,
but it's sure a lot of messing around for a home stereo
Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article MRbVg.96733$R63.34204@pd7urf1no, Matt Ion wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why ARE you going to all this effort to get a car stereo

working in the house? I mean, if it's just for experimentation, that's cool,
but it's sure a lot of messing around for a home stereo

Car radios should have the best performance as far as sensitivity
or signal to noise ratio. They definately have better multipath
circuits, so it all depends on the stations reception needs.
How many home receivers have pushbutton station changing?

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

GregS wrote:
In article MRbVg.96733$R63.34204@pd7urf1no, Matt Ion wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why ARE you going to all this effort to get a car stereo

working in the house? I mean, if it's just for experimentation, that's cool,
but it's sure a lot of messing around for a home stereo

Car radios should have the best performance as far as sensitivity
or signal to noise ratio.

I'd think a good shotwave set would have that hands-down...

How many home receivers have pushbutton station changing?

Many better shortwave sets.
Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why ARE you going to all this effort to get a car

stereo

working in the house? I mean, if it's just for experimentation, that's cool,

but it's sure a lot of messing around for a home stereo

Car radios should have the best performance as far as sensitivity
or signal to noise ratio.

I'd think a good shotwave set would have that hands-down...

How many home receivers have pushbutton station changing?

Many better shortwave sets.

We are talking FM here. The world of capture ratios and I really don't know about HD radio!
I have and used to have another analog dial FM in my stereo, but
forget about quickly changing stations. I forgot about the last tuner I
had hooked up in the old house. It had pushbuttons, and I have other
tuners with pushbuttons, so I now remember.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why ARE you going to all this effort to get a car

stereo

working in the house? I mean, if it's just for experimentation, that's cool,

but it's sure a lot of messing around for a home stereo

Car radios should have the best performance as far as sensitivity
or signal to noise ratio.

I'd think a good shotwave set would have that hands-down...

How many home receivers have pushbutton station changing?

Many better shortwave sets.

We are talking FM here.

YOU'RE talking FM. I didn't see any mention of it from the OP. Plus any decent
SW set is going to have FM support as well.

The world of capture ratios and I really don't know about HD radio!
I have and used to have another analog dial FM in my stereo, but
forget about quickly changing stations.

Dude, that made no sense at all.

I forgot about the last tuner I
had hooked up in the old house. It had pushbuttons, and I have other
tuners with pushbuttons, so I now remember.

I have at least two AM/FM home-stereo component tuners sitting around here that
have "pushbutton" memory tuning. It's not a RARE thing.
Posted to rec.audio.car

Matt Ion wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why ARE you going to all this effort to get a car stereo
working in the house? I mean, if it's just for experimentation, that's cool,
but it's sure a lot of messing around for a home stereo

Basically for the fun of it. I have a car stereo laying around, why not
make it into a project? People build **** out of legos, why not do it
with real stuff? That's half the fun, trying to spend as little money
as possible, and use what you have, or can find. Kind of like a
scavenger hunt. Actually, EXACTLY like a scavenger hunt! )

One question about the HU itself. I noticed this when it used to be
installed in my car, but forgot about it. It seems to be hard wired to
do a scan, instead of manual search. You push the button, and it scans.
You have to hold it in and push to get it to go one station at a time,
but if you listen to the station for more than 3 seconds, it defaults
back to scan, and you have to hold it in again.

I don't see a button to push to switch settings, would it take an
electronics engineer to break it apart and mess with the internals to
get it to manual search without constantly defaulting to scanning? It's
a Sony XR-1790.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why ARE you going to all this effort to get a car stereo
working in the house? I mean, if it's just for experimentation, that's cool,
but it's sure a lot of messing around for a home stereo

Basically for the fun of it. I have a car stereo laying around, why not
make it into a project? People build **** out of legos, why not do it
with real stuff? That's half the fun, trying to spend as little money
as possible, and use what you have, or can find. Kind of like a
scavenger hunt. Actually, EXACTLY like a scavenger hunt! )

Heheh, alright All good, it's nothing I haven't done myself, for pretty much
the same reasons

One question about the HU itself. I noticed this when it used to be
installed in my car, but forgot about it. It seems to be hard wired to
do a scan, instead of manual search. You push the button, and it scans.
You have to hold it in and push to get it to go one station at a time,
but if you listen to the station for more than 3 seconds, it defaults
back to scan, and you have to hold it in again.

Yah, a lot of cheaper decks do that... or the opposite, you have to hold the
button for a couple seconds before it will start to seek, which can often cause
it to miss nearby stations...

I don't see a button to push to switch settings, would it take an
electronics engineer to break it apart and mess with the internals to
get it to manual search without constantly defaulting to scanning? It's
a Sony XR-1790.

Probably would, yup.
Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why ARE you going to all this effort to get a car

stereo

working in the house? I mean, if it's just for experimentation, that's

cool,

but it's sure a lot of messing around for a home stereo

Car radios should have the best performance as far as sensitivity
or signal to noise ratio.

I'd think a good shotwave set would have that hands-down...

How many home receivers have pushbutton station changing?

Many better shortwave sets.

We are talking FM here.

YOU'RE talking FM. I didn't see any mention of it from the OP. Plus any
decent
SW set is going to have FM support as well.

The OP has not responded. I don't know, I have been in amateur radio for
46 years, and usually, only some cheap portable units might have FM.
I would agree there are some expensive all banders that do have FM.

The world of capture ratios and I really don't know about HD radio!
I have and used to have another analog dial FM in my stereo, but
forget about quickly changing stations.

Dude, that made no sense at all.

I forgot about the last tuner I
had hooked up in the old house. It had pushbuttons, and I have other
tuners with pushbuttons, so I now remember.

I have at least two AM/FM home-stereo component tuners sitting around here that

have "pushbutton" memory tuning. It's not a RARE thing.

I have more than that, i believe I corrected myself. I have a stack of stereo equipment
about 5X4X4 feet large, not including speakers, sitting in the basement. Much of it was
being fixed from Ebay, but I have not had a chance to get things going since my house move.
Anxious to start making my home theater room.

The last tuner I had hooked up in the old house was an Adcom. The last tuner I
gave away for free was a Mitsubitsu DA-F10 which was my staple for many years, no
pushbuttons.

greg

diy car television antenna AC Tech 2 September 24th 05 07:02 PM
Question on car antenna (in-glass, rear windshield) Frank Car Audio 8 September 16th 05 05:47 PM
Question on car antenna (in-glass, rear windshield) Frank Tech 8 September 16th 05 05:47 PM
How do I splice antenna wire, install new connectors? bryanska Car Audio 3 June 1st 05 02:27 PM
Okay, here it is pt. deux George M. Middius Audio Opinions 42 September 10th 03 06:29 PM