Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default DISCUSSION TOPIC: Advertising Car Audio Products - What Works?

Nanook got me thinking about all the advertising that companies have used
(in particular print advertising) over the last 15 or so years. If you
could boil it all down to one "over-arching" theme, I believe the saying
"sex sells" describes it best.

Despite those companies that tried to take the high road and simply tout
their products features, innovations, quality and so on, what you find more
than anything else over and over again when flipping through old car stereo
magazines is scantily clad women flocking around the guy with this or that
brand. Some just have beautiful women posing with their products (MA Audio
and Nicole come to mind).

In particular, one often used strategy is to portray the quintessential
"loser" (the nerd, the dork, the unpopular guy, etc.) and somehow
demonstrate that by spending large bank on Company X's gear, he suddenly
becomes popular and a babe magnet overnight.

In fact, this theme is employed perhaps more than any other. Sometimes the
message is more subtle than other times. As Nanook mentioned, Urban Audio
used to represent the "loser" as a human size rat. Recently, Sony used an
artist to portray truly disturbing disfigured looking "people" who I assume
represent "the loser" (I find all those Sony ads distasteful). Other times,
the message was much more overt showing the OBVIOUS pimple faced "loser"
with a bevy of bikini clad women swooning over his car (with the designated
"cool guy" looking on in disbelief). I don't recall which company made that
particular ad, but it was pretty obvious what it was implying.

And then there were the companies that actually ridiculed this approach. I
remember MB Quart (I believe) had this kind of amusing ad where they had
fired their sexy model so they could simply display all the first place
awards they had won (there is simply a shapely leg shown on the side
apparently "storming" off). Clever.

Anyway, going through old car stereo magazines can be very interesting.
It's funny because although SO MUCH has changed with technology over the
years, the "sex sells" philosophy still remains a staple in the industry
today. Of course, one only has to look at the demographic of who spends the
most on car audio to understand why this approach is used.

But I can say this with TOTAL HONESTY. I don't believe I have EVER been
influenced by that approach (and no, I'm not gay). Car audio to me has
NEVER been about appealing to the opposite sex. To me, it's just about the
music.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

for me it's all word of mouth. Just because a company makes ads doesn't
mean they're any good. and really, the fewer ads I see, the more I'm
interested. why? those ads cost money, which is reflected in higher
costs for the end consumer.

If I find somebody that I can tell knows what they are doing give
praise to a certain product or brand, I'm going to look more closely at
it. That holds infinitely more value than some bikini-wearing 20 year
old putting on a fake smile while holding an amp. sure i'll look at
them all day, but I won't buy the product, and chances are I might even
tell other people not to buy their product solely based on the existence
of that ad, because it's basically saying "our products can't sell
themselves based on performance, so we have to market them to you and
try to bring in the ignorant to keep our business alive."

now this isn't to say all ads are bad. A company has to let people
know they exist. But to me this entails a logo and maybe a list of
products along with some information about them in the ad. and don't
plaster them in every magazine. Don't be like those commercials you
see EVERY commercial break. those also make me not want to buy.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:

Anyway, going through old car stereo magazines can be very interesting.
It's funny because although SO MUCH has changed with technology over the
years, the "sex sells" philosophy still remains a staple in the industry
today. Of course, one only has to look at the demographic of who spends the
most on car audio to understand why this approach is used.

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

But I can say this with TOTAL HONESTY. I don't believe I have EVER been
influenced by that approach (and no, I'm not gay). Car audio to me has
NEVER been about appealing to the opposite sex. To me, it's just about the
music.

I don't have such as ISSUE, per se, with the "sex sells" advertising - hey, I
love to just sit and look at it as much as the next guy - but what really bugs
me is when the ad writers go over the top on buzzwords and acronyms and jargon
they have no clue about.

A favorite case-in-point was a couple ads from Car Audio & Electronics magazine
about 15 years ago: one was an add for an amplifier (don't recall the brand)
that boasted "SCAT design - Solid Core Acoustic Technology". The copy went on
at some length describing the benefits of what essentially was the use of solid
rather than stranded wire for internal connections...

The other was for an Eclipse CD head unit, touting the use of opto-coupler
interfaces between the CD transport output and the DACs (actually, I don't think
it was even that specific about where they were used). Instead of explaining
the prime advantage of reduced noise offered by this design, they chose to
highlight how it actually allowed the data to move "at the speed of light -
that's fast!" (yes, that's how it was actually written). Well, last I checked,
electricity moved through wires close enough to the speed of light to make the
difference quite irrelevant over the distances involved...

I actually wrote a letter to CA&E pointing out this silliness... they wrote back
that they all got a good laugh from it, agreed entirely, and would have loved to
print my letter, but couldn't for fear of offending the advertisers (personally,
I think the advertisers could have used a little offending over that tripe)...
but they did send me a nice Car Audio mag t-shirt instead

Posted to rec.audio.car
The Lull The Lull is offline

For me it's about word of mouth, openness about product specs (having
the information I want/need on the freakin' box!), and first-hand
listening.

I don't have a single car stereo magazine in my posession (save the
catalog that came with an order from parts-express). I've learned what
I know about brands, their reliability, and value based on what some of
my friends own and run, what I've personally own and run, and based on
an old adage that seems to be sinking deeper into my brain every time I
buy a new piece of audio equipment: "You Get What You Pay For." Every
amp, speaker, and HU that I've bought for (what I thought at the time
was) a 'great bargain' has either been lacking in quality or durability
(or sometimes both).

Combine all of those things and, for me, I have a pretty good idea
about what is worth my time and money these days. More importantly I
know what's not worth my time and money.

~The Lull
KU40 wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I don't have a single car stereo magazine in my posession (save the
catalog that came with an order from parts-express). I've learned what
I know about brands, their reliability, and value based on what some of
my friends own and run, what I've personally own and run, and based on
an old adage that seems to be sinking deeper into my brain every time I
buy a new piece of audio equipment: "You Get What You Pay For."

Yes, with the advent of the Internet and WWW, car audio magazines have
become something of a dinosaur. However for those old enough to remember,
they USED to be an important place to go for information on the latest
products, answers to questions (I sent in two questions that were both
published in CA&E in the early nineties), information on competition, and
tutorials on basic electrical theory and how-to-install-this-and-that
information. Before the internet, they were VERY important.

And you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. It seems like the old adage "You Get What You
Pay For" becomes more and more true the older you get.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

I don't think I have EVER been influenced by naked or scantily clad women in
ANY product, whether it's car audio or....or...see what I mean? I can't
even remember. I love to see the women, but rarely ever remember the
product. And even if I could, why in the world would I equate sex appeal
with something I would want to spend my money on? Certainly all the
marketing and advertising research has been done without my input...because
I find all or most of it quite insulting to my intelligence. I guess it's
just a bigger picture of our society in general, and if sex sells, then I
guess it says something about us, doesn't it?

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

The whole idea of car audio being appealing to the opposite sex is true if you
are a female because that's what males are in to, most females have no idea
why anyone would spend that kind of money on car audio and they see no point
to it at all. In fact all of the females that I know besides one don't even
like loud bass.

Here are a few experiences that I have had with my car audio this summer. As
some of you might know the way my system is setup with the sub box being in
the rear seat area of my car with the rear windows rolled down you can easily
see all of the crap that I have mounted on top of the sub box such as my amps
and what not. I have been approached by two females in their early twenties
about "the size of my stereo" and they seemed right thrilled with it and no
they did not hit on me in any way, but never the less my gear did attract the
opposite sex. With that said, I have also have been approached a guy and his
girlfriend, the guy was right excited with the crap that I had going on in my
car, His girlfriend had a blank look on her face as in "alright what am I
looking at here that has you so tripping". I've also been asked by two guys
driving by in a mini van, about how loud my system could go, they looked to be
in their mid 40's.

I would say that car audio is appealing to some people in general enough to
approach strangers to display their excitement. Could this get you a
girlfriend and get you laid, I think so, since car audio can get people to
approach you, But I also think that the likely hood of that is low, too low in
fact for car audio companies to be marketing crap on this theme.

In article xIaTg.70364$R63.25237@pd7urf1no, Matt Ion
wrote:
MOSFET wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

The whole idea of car audio being appealing to the opposite sex is true if
you
are a female because that's what males are in to, most females have no

idea
why anyone would spend that kind of money on car audio and they see no

point
to it at all.

Howdy, you raise a DAMN good point.

The ads would have you believe that EVERY girl on the planet gets so excited
they nearly feint at the sight of a car with big subwoofers.

The reality is that I have met VERY few girls in my life who give a RAT'S
ASS about car audio period. I have met A FEW (very few) girls in my life
who really love music and appreciate good SQ in the car and have gone as far
as putting good quality speakers and an amp (or MAYBE even two) in.

But (and I'm thinking REALLY hard here) I can't remember a single girl I've
ever met who thought loud bass was an important characteristic of a car
system. Not one!!! Despite what the ads say.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default DISCUSSION TOPIC: Is there sexism in car audio?

That last post of mine implies that girs (women) just don't care about car
audio like men do. I base this SOLELY on women I have met throughout my
life.

Maybe I'm out to lunch here. Maybe there are frequenct RAC contributors who
are female and we just ASSUME are males. I don't know. Maybe TONS of gils
are into car audio.

But this is just what I've obverved. I see it as a guy's sport.

Agree? Disagree?

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I don't know how old you are or how long you've been posting to RAC, but WAY
back in ancient times (like when Rockford Fosgate built REALLY, REALLY good
amplifiers), it was common around here to refer to car audio as a sport.
This was true because so many of the regulars (me included) competed in
IASCA and other sound-off competitions.

I'm afraid these days, car audio competitions are nearly dead. We NEVER get
a competition type question these days, but back in the middle nineties it
seemed like every other question posted in RAC was about the latest IASCA
rule changes or debates about the rules.

Ahhh......the good old days.....

MOSFET

"RG" wrote in message
news
Sport ????

- RG

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
That last post of mine implies that girs (women) just don't care about

car
audio like men do. I base this SOLELY on women I have met throughout my
life.

Maybe I'm out to lunch here. Maybe there are frequenct RAC contributors
who
are female and we just ASSUME are males. I don't know. Maybe TONS of
gils
are into car audio.

But this is just what I've obverved. I see it as a guy's sport.

Agree? Disagree?

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
RG RG is offline

I guess .....

I have a hard time considering listening to music as a "sport" though. And I
always thought that car audio competitions were, let's say, odd. Makes no
sense to me. And that is not a sport either. A hobby maybe, but not a sport,
regardless of the so-called "competition" factor. To me, the equipment is
only a means to an end, and that end is producing a high quality
reproduction that satisfies my listening tastes, certainly not some wannabe
SQ "judge" with dubious competencies at best. I could never see the
relevance. I suppose some installations could be considered an artistic
endeavour, but that is a whole other ball of wax that essentially emphasizes
other factors outside the realm of good sound. Not that they probably don't
sound good, but the visual appeal has nothing to do with the music, and so
to me, it all seems silly and quite puzzling.

Actually, I have been dabbling in car audio before you even got to high
school, not that it means anything other than to provide a point of
reference.

- RG

"MOSFET" wrote in message
I don't know how old you are or how long you've been posting to RAC, but
WAY
back in ancient times (like when Rockford Fosgate built REALLY, REALLY
good
amplifiers), it was common around here to refer to car audio as a sport.
This was true because so many of the regulars (me included) competed in
IASCA and other sound-off competitions.

I'm afraid these days, car audio competitions are nearly dead. We NEVER
get
a competition type question these days, but back in the middle nineties it
seemed like every other question posted in RAC was about the latest IASCA
rule changes or debates about the rules.

Ahhh......the good old days.....

MOSFET

"RG" wrote in message
news
Sport ????

- RG

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
That last post of mine implies that girs (women) just don't care about

car
audio like men do. I base this SOLELY on women I have met throughout
my
life.

Maybe I'm out to lunch here. Maybe there are frequenct RAC
contributors
who
are female and we just ASSUME are males. I don't know. Maybe TONS of
gils
are into car audio.

But this is just what I've obverved. I see it as a guy's sport.

Agree? Disagree?

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

.. I suppose some installations could be considered an artistic
endeavour, but that is a whole other ball of wax that essentially

emphasizes
other factors outside the realm of good sound. Not that they probably

don't
sound good, but the visual appeal has nothing to do with the music, and so
to me, it all seems silly and quite puzzling.

Actually, I have been dabbling in car audio before you even got to high
school,

Then I'm a little puzzled why you would find the term "sport" for car audio
strange in this group, unless you only recently started surfing RAC because
ALL the regulars used the term "sport" when referring to our hobby.

Also, besides the "artistic" end of it, there were many objective qualities
that could be evaluated in a car audio system. IASCA had it's own test-disc
that could be used to OBJECTIVELY evaluate soundstage width, depth,
center-image, frequency response and balance (on an RTA), and many other
quantifiable parameters I just can't think of off the top of my head. It
was NOT about the "coolest" looking system and NOT a completely arbitrary,
subjective evaluation of "what sounds best to me" based on whichever judge
we just happened to have that day.

But MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more than that, it was a way to get together with other
enthusiasts who had the same interests as yourself and share ideas. It was
a place to learn from others and get your questions answered. Sound a
little familiar?

If car audio competitions are so stupid and such a waste of time for you,
and car audio is REALLY ABOUT (according to you) "producing a high quality
reproduction that satisfies my listening tastes", then why the heck are you
spending time on RAC RIGHT NOW and not in your car listening to music??!?!

By answering that question, you will answer why car audio competitions were
important.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:

If car audio competitions are so stupid and such a waste of time for you,
and car audio is REALLY ABOUT (according to you) "producing a high quality
reproduction that satisfies my listening tastes", then why the heck are you
spending time on RAC RIGHT NOW and not in your car listening to music??!?!

Probably because this is rec.audio.car, not rec.audio.car.competition
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

ALSO:

From Webster's Third New International Dictionary:

SPORT: 1a): something that is a source of pleasant diversion : a pleasing or
amusing pastime or activity : RECREATION.

So there!

Check your dictionary if you don't believe me. Sport does not mean
COMPETITION. I believe the association that "sport" equals "competition" is
an American affectation but is not technically correct.

So actually, defining our hobby (or ANY hobby for that matter) as a sport is
perfectly acceptable.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
mfreak mfreak is offline

SPORT: 1a): something that is a source of pleasant diversion : a pleasing or
amusing pastime or activity : RECREATION.

So there!

Now I understand why poker is on ESPN! That definition IS a little
general... Well, I'm off to the sport of finding memory leaks in the
linux kernel.. Oh, and I was just picking my nose, the final score was
Me: 3 Booger: 1. Playoffs are next weekend,

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Well I guess if you pick your nose for RECREATION or pleasant diversion
or amusing pastime you can call it your sport.
--

Well, technically, yes........

Think about really old movies where they say things like "I love hounding my
husband, it's great sport".

Over the years, WE as Americans have changed the definition of the word
"sport". But if you look at a dictionary, it is simply a synonym for
"pastime" or "amusement".

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
RG RG is offline

Please, you are really pushing it. You sure that isn't the definition for
masturbation, LOL ?

- RG

"MOSFET" wrote in message
ALSO:

From Webster's Third New International Dictionary:

SPORT: 1a): something that is a source of pleasant diversion : a pleasing
or
amusing pastime or activity : RECREATION.

So there!

Check your dictionary if you don't believe me. Sport does not mean
COMPETITION. I believe the association that "sport" equals "competition"
is
an American affectation but is not technically correct.

So actually, defining our hobby (or ANY hobby for that matter) as a sport
is
perfectly acceptable.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
RG RG is offline

IASCA had it's own test-disc that could be used to OBJECTIVELY evaluate

soundstage width, depth,
center-image, frequency response and balance (on an RTA), and many other
quantifiable parameters I just can't think of off the top of my head.

That is my point. Who CARES about an objective evaluation of that. It does
not necessarily correlate to the best sound. The paramaters are artificial
and ambiguous as to the goal of achieving high quality sound. And who cares
what an RTA says. The goals and measurement criteria are silly IMO.

If car audio competitions are so stupid and such a waste of time for you,
and car audio is REALLY ABOUT (according to you) "producing a high
quality
reproduction that satisfies my listening tastes", then why the heck are
you
spending time on RAC RIGHT NOW and not in your car listening to music??!?!

Like Mat stated, this is not a competition forum last time I checked. Other
than that, I do not see your point ? If you like car audio competitions then
more power to you (pardon the pun). That doesn't mean everyone has to agree
with the concept. I was stating my opinion on the subject and I doubt
anything you could say would change that opinion.

- RG

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Like Mat stated, this is not a competition forum last time I checked.
Other
than that, I do not see your point ? If you like car audio competitions

then
more power to you (pardon the pun). That doesn't mean everyone has to

agree
with the concept.

The ONLY reason I brought up competitions was that it related to the word
"sport". I don't care about car audio competitions at all any more.

MAINLY, my point was that the word "sport" is an appropriate description for
the hobby of car audio per Webster's dictionary. That's it. I had no
intention to argue the pros and cons of competitions. That was not my point
at all. It was JUST in relation to your objection to using "sport" to
describe car audio.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Please, you are really pushing it. You sure that isn't the definition for
masturbation, LOL ?

- RG

ROTFL

You're a real hoot, you know that? You're older than me (YOU SAY) but you
resort to fifth grade humor. Maturity just EMANATES from your posts.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Please, you are really pushing it.

Ahh, you were the one who had the problem with the word "sport", buddy. If
you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
RG RG is offline

Huh .... I thought it was pretty funny, in an immature kind of way, LOL.
Actually, I am way older than you but apparently not as mature. Maturity is
way over rated anyway. But judging from your handling of the Howdy Doody
fiasco, you already knew that, right, LOL.

- RG

PS: It is still NOT a sport. It is a pastime, a hobby, an obsession, a
disease, a mild diversion, a time waster, a compulsion, etc., etc. ......
but NOT a sport in the conventional sense that the average person would
define a sport. I don't care how many literal definitions of sport you can
shoehorn it into, it still ain't one in the figurative sense. When car audio
ever gets a write-up in SI I will concede the point, though, LOL.

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
Please, you are really pushing it. You sure that isn't the definition for
masturbation, LOL ?

- RG

ROTFL

You're a real hoot, you know that? You're older than me (YOU SAY) but you
resort to fifth grade humor. Maturity just EMANATES from your posts.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Huh .... I thought it was pretty funny, in an immature kind of way, LOL.
Actually, I am way older than you but apparently not as mature. Maturity

is
way over rated anyway. But judging from your handling of the Howdy Doody
fiasco, you already knew that, right, LOL.

Yes, you're certainly right about that one! LOL

- RG

PS: It is still NOT a sport. It is a pastime, a hobby, an obsession, a
disease, a mild diversion, a time waster, a compulsion, etc., etc. ......

Well, I think we are going to have to just "agree to disagree" on this
point. I grew up thinking of the word "sport" in the more literary context,
as a pastime or diversion.

EXAMPLE: "I'm through bickering with you, RG, there's no sport in it".

You, on the other hand, see "sport" as always having to do with a
competition with rules and teams, etc.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

One more thing, do a little research on the etymology of the word
"sportscar". See what you find.

Was that name derived from COMPETITIONS, or from the fun, enjoyable pastime
the car represented?

I have NO DOUBT the answer will surprise you.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

SQ competitions are like wine tasting, too many opinions that mean nothing.
SPL competitions on the other hand are no less of a sport then auto racing.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
I don't know how old you are or how long you've been posting to RAC, but WAY
back in ancient times (like when Rockford Fosgate built REALLY, REALLY good
amplifiers), it was common around here to refer to car audio as a sport.
This was true because so many of the regulars (me included) competed in
IASCA and other sound-off competitions.

I'm afraid these days, car audio competitions are nearly dead. We NEVER get
a competition type question these days, but back in the middle nineties it
seemed like every other question posted in RAC was about the latest IASCA
rule changes or debates about the rules.

Ahhh......the good old days.....

MOSFET

"RG" wrote in message
news
Sport ????

- RG

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
That last post of mine implies that girs (women) just don't care about

car
audio like men do. I base this SOLELY on women I have met throughout my
life.

Maybe I'm out to lunch here. Maybe there are frequenct RAC contributors
who
are female and we just ASSUME are males. I don't know. Maybe TONS of
gils
are into car audio.

But this is just what I've obverved. I see it as a guy's sport.

Agree? Disagree?

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

Who are you calling names, ****brick

In article , "RG"
wrote:
Huh .... I thought it was pretty funny, in an immature kind of way, LOL.
Actually, I am way older than you but apparently not as mature. Maturity is
way over rated anyway. But judging from your handling of the Howdy Doody
fiasco, you already knew that, right, LOL.

- RG

PS: It is still NOT a sport. It is a pastime, a hobby, an obsession, a
disease, a mild diversion, a time waster, a compulsion, etc., etc. ......
but NOT a sport in the conventional sense that the average person would
define a sport. I don't care how many literal definitions of sport you can
shoehorn it into, it still ain't one in the figurative sense. When car audio
ever gets a write-up in SI I will concede the point, though, LOL.

"MOSFET" wrote in message
om...
Please, you are really pushing it. You sure that isn't the definition for
masturbation, LOL ?

- RG

ROTFL

You're a real hoot, you know that? You're older than me (YOU SAY) but you
resort to fifth grade humor. Maturity just EMANATES from your posts.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Who are you calling names, ****brick

Yah!!!
Let him have it, Howdy. You've messed with the wrong captain now, buddy
boy! LOL

MOSFET