Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Do you know what model this PPI amp is?

I acquired this old amp from a friend today (he gave it to me) and after
bench testing I found it works perfectly.

But there is absolutely no markings (inside or out) that indicate what model
it is (even the serial number has been rubbed off). I tried going through
old buyers guides and see if the dimensions fit any past models, but no
dice. Here's a picture of it:

http://www428.pair.com/mosfet/PPI.jpg

It measures 9 3/4" X 8 3/4" X 2" and has a 30 amp fuse (besides that, it's a
pretty typical amp).

That writing on the front APPEARS to say "s(maybe)tatc QX Art" so I assume
this is part of their "Art Series" but I'm sure it pre-dates those white
with pastel design models.

I've been to PPI's site, no help, and have spent a while Googling for
answers. Nothing. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

oh wow, i've never seen one of those. that is truly old school. you
might try emailing PPI with that picture attached, that's my guess as
your best resource.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
winkenstein winkenstein is offline

that is not a PPI Amp.
it looks like an old urban audio amp [i think that was the brand name
anyway]
it is direct from the car audio section at your local Wally-World super
center.
definetally nothing very special,
it looks exactly like the one i used to have about 15 years ago?
it was purple in color when i first obtained it,
but then i scraped all the paint off of it,
and what you see now is what it looked liked underneath the painted
surface,
someone just put a PPI sticker on it,
to try and be cool?
i am sorry to say!

i think it was (/me digging deep into my memory vault), supposed to be
rated for 400 watts!
total output. (YEAH RIGHT!)
but more realistically it in no way could of been delivering any more
than 50 watts per channel? (if even).

but hey!
it was a decent amp back when i was in high school,
and was living on mom and dads money.
it survived for quite a while if i recollect properly.

terriblely sorry to disapoint you,
i hope you wheren't placing any bets on it's E-Bay value.
as being an authentic one of a kind rare PPI amplifier or anything.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

"winkenstein" wrote in message
ups.com...
that is not a PPI Amp.
it looks like an old urban audio amp [i think that was the brand name
anyway]
it is direct from the car audio section at your local Wally-World super
center.
definetally nothing very special,
it looks exactly like the one i used to have about 15 years ago?
it was purple in color when i first obtained it,
but then i scraped all the paint off of it,
and what you see now is what it looked liked underneath the painted
surface,
someone just put a PPI sticker on it,
to try and be cool?
i am sorry to say!

Thanks. That does not surprise me AT ALL.

As I said before, I can find NO OTHER reference to PPI ANYWHERE on (or
inside) the amp.

From the get-go, I was suspicious that it was a sticker stuck onto the amp.
Especially considering the fact that I have every CSR and CA&E Buyers Guide
going back to 1990 and could find NO PPI amp that matched these dimensions.

I'll check out Urban Audio's past amps and see if I can find one that
matches. I would STILL like to know just exactly what it is (partly because
if I go to sell it I should know what the hell I'm selling).

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

well if that's true, to make you feel better, i've never seen a 50
watt/channel amp have 30 amps in fusing. if it's a 2 channel, my guess
is it does at least 300 watts bridged @ 4 ohms.

most of the cheap amps would say 400 watts and have a 15 amp fuse.

--
KU40

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

There should be a make and/or model number stamped on the mainboard. But for a
PPI art amp I just don't see the art.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:

"winkenstein" wrote in message
oups.com...
that is not a PPI Amp.
it looks like an old urban audio amp [i think that was the brand name
anyway]
it is direct from the car audio section at your local Wally-World super
center.
definetally nothing very special,
it looks exactly like the one i used to have about 15 years ago?
it was purple in color when i first obtained it,
but then i scraped all the paint off of it,
and what you see now is what it looked liked underneath the painted
surface,
someone just put a PPI sticker on it,
to try and be cool?
i am sorry to say!

Thanks. That does not surprise me AT ALL.

As I said before, I can find NO OTHER reference to PPI ANYWHERE on (or
inside) the amp.

From the get-go, I was suspicious that it was a sticker stuck onto the amp.
Especially considering the fact that I have every CSR and CA&E Buyers Guide
going back to 1990 and could find NO PPI amp that matched these dimensions.

I'll check out Urban Audio's past amps and see if I can find one that
matches. I would STILL like to know just exactly what it is (partly because
if I go to sell it I should know what the hell I'm selling).

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

There should be a make and/or model number stamped on the mainboard. But
for a
PPI art amp I just don't see the art.

LOL

No, it's not very artistic is it. In fact, I can't imagine a more basic
looking amp.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
nanook nanook is offline

wrote:

"winkenstein" wrote in message
roups.com...
that is not a PPI Amp.
it looks like an old urban audio amp [i think that was the brand name
anyway]
it is direct from the car audio section at your local Wally-World super
center.
definetally nothing very special,
it looks exactly like the one i used to have about 15 years ago?
it was purple in color when i first obtained it,
but then i scraped all the paint off of it,
and what you see now is what it looked liked underneath the painted
surface,
someone just put a PPI sticker on it,
to try and be cool?
i am sorry to say!

Thanks. That does not surprise me AT ALL.

As I said before, I can find NO OTHER reference to PPI ANYWHERE on (or
inside) the amp.

From the get-go, I was suspicious that it was a sticker stuck onto the amp.
Especially considering the fact that I have every CSR and CA&E Buyers Guide
going back to 1990 and could find NO PPI amp that matched these dimensions.

I'll check out Urban Audio's past amps and see if I can find one that
matches. I would STILL like to know just exactly what it is (partly because
if I go to sell it I should know what the hell I'm selling).

MOSFET

IF I recall correctly, the Urban amp I had many moons ago had a Targa
Mainboard inside it. it was billed as a HEXFET amplifier. I can't
remember the model, but it was a big 4 channel beastie, that wasn't
too shabby, but it wasn't extremely powerful, I think bridged, it
handled my CV XLS-10's fairly well.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the original post, so I can't tell for
sure.

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/...Works_AW-4200/

if you have CSR going that far back, look for the UAW commercials,
they're usually cartoons with a life size rat sitting in a
convertible...Targa had the big Sumo Wrestler. I don't know why I
remember that.
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

they're usually cartoons with a life size rat sitting in a
convertible...

You mean "Street Rat gets more attention than he deserves..."

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

"I would STILL like to know just exactly what it is (partly because if I go
to sell it I should know what the hell I'm selling)."

Well, if the serial number is rubbed off, then it's more than likely stolen.
FYI.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

"I would STILL like to know just exactly what it is (partly because if I
go
to sell it I should know what the hell I'm selling)."

Well, if the serial number is rubbed off, then it's more than likely

stolen.
FYI.

Tony

Yes, well, duh Tony.

When has that ever stopped anybody on Ebay?

Take care,
Ncik

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Actually, many things are scratched off the back of the amp which leads MORE
credence to Winkenstein's theory that it is some other brand of amp
"disguised" to look like a PPI.

Nick

"MOSFET" wrote in message
"I would STILL like to know just exactly what it is (partly because if I

go
to sell it I should know what the hell I'm selling)."

Well, if the serial number is rubbed off, then it's more than likely

stolen.
FYI.

Tony

Yes, well, duh Tony.

When has that ever stopped anybody on Ebay?

Take care,
Ncik

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

"When has that ever stopped anybody on Ebay?"

Well, hopefully, it would stop someone like YOU from selling it on eBay.
I'm referring to my impression of you as being someone of good, sound
character.

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

"Actually, many things are scratched off the back of the amp which leads
MORE credence to Winkenstein's theory that it is some other brand of amp
"disguised" to look like a PPI."

Why would someone want to scratch off anything on the back to "disguise" it?
Specifically regarding the serial number, it is a crime in WA state to
scratch that off. But I understand your point, Nick...just lending my
opinion.

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

"Tony F" wrote in message
news
"When has that ever stopped anybody on Ebay?"

Well, hopefully, it would stop someone like YOU from selling it on eBay.
I'm referring to my impression of you as being someone of good, sound
character.

Tony

Well, Tony, I do like to think of myself that way.

That is PRECISELY why I'm trying to find out the ACTUAL brand and model
number. I DO NOT want to misrepresent something if I go and sell it.

But what are you saying, Tony? Because the serial number is rubbed off I
can't legally sell it? IF it was stolen (which is a big if), it was done
MANY, MANY years ago as this amp was given to me by a friend who had it
sitting in his garage for YEARS (and he's no thief).

But I trust your judgment as you work in law enforcment. If you think I
shouldn't try to sell this amp, I won't.

Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

"But I trust your judgment as you work in law enforcment. If you think I
shouldn't try to sell this amp, I won't."

I would say there's a high probability it's stolen. I can't think of any
logical reason that someone would rub the serial number off other than to
prevent it from being identified as being stolen. I myself wouldn't have
accepted it from anyone because of my profession. I certainly believe that
you got it from a trustworthy source, and it probably was stolen a long time
ago (if it was indeed stolen). I guess the choice is yours. You could
always give it back to your friend. I doubt it's worth the trouble of
trying to sell it anyway now that we suspect it's not a PPI and probably a
very inexpensive amp.

"Because the serial number is rubbed off I can't legally sell it?"

Tricky question. Most prudent people would draw the conclusion that pretty
much any piece of electronic equipment (or any item with a unique serial
number) with a scratched off serial number is probably stolen. Hence, the
reason why it's a crime to obscure the serial number. The law is called,
"Obscuring the identity of a machine". I assume the courts have made
judicial notice that anyone trying to obliterate a serial number is doing so
to keep it from being identified as stolen. I would have to read the
statute, and I could be wrong, but I don't think it's against the law to
POSSESS or SELL an item with an obscured serial number, just the act of
obscuring the number is against the law. The reason for this I assume is
that there is no way to really prove that the item is stolen because there's
no serial number. However...if an item is able to be proven to be stolen by
other means than a identifying serial number (like an amplifier with the
number scratched off) and the person possessing or selling it knows the
serial number is scratched off, then you would probably have a good argument
that the person sold it knowing it was stolen, whether they knew it was
stolen or not. In other words, if you sold the amp on eBay and the serial
number was intact but the amp was stolen and you didn't know it was stolen,
you would probably be okay. However, sell the same stolen amp with the
serial number scratched off and you're under arrest no matter whether you
knew it was stolen or not.

(Disclaimer. This is not intended to be legal advice. Anyone reading this
needs to understand I'm not an attorney, judge, or jury and every situation
is different based on the specific totality of the circumstances.)

Now. What the hell's going on with our frickin' SEAHAWKS???? :-(

Tony