Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

Default Vinyl colorations, inherent, euphonic and inherent euphonic.

This is a continuation of a topic that has split off from another
thread. i thought it may benefit from having it's own thread. On that
thread there have been assertions about inherent euphonic colorations
of vinyl.

"You haven't noticed 'the' superior quality, you've noticed a
quality that you consider to sound superior. This could be the
different mastering used for LPs compared to CDs, or it could be
inherent sound qualities added by the vinyl medium and playback
devices, or it could be both."

Steven Sullivan

"For live recordings, a 'clean' digital 2-channel recording will
capture the original 'ambience' as well as the master tape did (which
is to say, only moderately well, given the limits of 2-channel) -- but
transcribing that to LP will actually ADD some spurious, if pleasing
to some, 'ambience' of its own, via euphonic distortion inherent in
vinyl playback."

Steven Sullivan

And those assertions have been challenged.

"Please tell us how you know about this distortion that is "inherent"
in LP playback. What playback equipment have you used to determine
this? Please be specific: turntables, pickup arms, phono cartridges,
phono preamplifiers. Because you claim this playback characteristic is
"inherent," you must have experimented with more than one playback
system. Did you conduct any measurements which document your claim? If
so, please share. Have you mastered any LPs yourself, or participated
in the LP mastering process, that further establishes the veracity of
your claim? If so, are these recordings that we can purchase and
listen to ourselves?

I'd also be interested in what physical properties of LP playback
result in this "inherent" result. Surely, you must have a theory or
two.

Or, as I suspect, is this claim simply opinion stated as fact?"

C.Leeds

OK....

My two cents.

Inherent colorations:

Yep, they do exist. Surface noise. If you have a source signal that
excedes the dynamic range that the medium will allow (somewhere in the
75-80 db range) You will hear the surface noise during the quitest
passages of the music. Surface noise does have some specific
characteristics that gives it a distinctive sound which allows much
lower level musical information to be heard through that noise. But it
is fair to say in cases of extreme dynamic range from the source one
cannot avoid audible surface noise. That is an 'inherent' coloration.

Another alleged inherent coloration is channel cross talk. My
cartridge, a Koetsu Rosewood Signature, has a measured channel
separation of just over 30db. I don't know what the measured
thresholds of audibility are for channel separation. I also don't know
what the maximum channel separation achievable is in vinyl production
and playback although I do know there are cartridges that have greater
meausred channel separation than mine. I do know on my system with
test records the effects of cross talk seem to be inaudible in as much
as I can get a clean signal out of one channel without hearing any of
the crosstalk from the other channel from the listening position.

To the best of my knowledge the lowest measured wow,flutter and rumble
found in vinyl playback fall under the thresholds of human hearing. So
while these are inherent colorations they apparently are not audible
in SOTA vinyl playback.

Euphonic colorations:

Yep, they do exist as well. I should know, I paid about 15K for them
in my TT rig. I don't have any hard data to back up my assertion. My
assertion is based on side by side blind comparisons between the TT
rig I eventually bought (The Forsell Air Reference with the flywheel)
(I eventually bought the same make and model not the same physical
rig) and one that was famous for being SOTA in the elimination of TT
rig colorations (the Rockport Sirius III). I am confident that they
sounded substantially different. The differences were easily
identifiable under blind conditions. Based on their designs I am
fairly confident that the Rockport Sirius III was the less colored of
the two rigs. I very much prefered the Forsell. IMO that is evidence
of euphonic colorations present in the Forsell.

Inherent euphomic colorations:

I have listed the inherent colorations that I know of. I have seen
claims that both colorations can be euphonic. I have not seen any
contolled listening tests that support that assertion. Maybe in some
form and in some proportion they can be euphonic.Maybe not. To date it
seems like a theory at best given the lack of meaningful supporting
evidence. It strikes me as a reasonable theory. But I think it is a
fact that at certain levels and above, those colorations (we are
talking levels well above the inherent limitations of the medium)
those colorations become inarguably bad ones. It is entirely possible
that like any spice, these colorations added in moderation with taste
can be euphonic and like any spice when added in excess spoil the
dish.

Angus Stewart Pinkerton Angus Stewart Pinkerton is offline
Junior Member

Location: Rempstone, Leicestershire, England

;836350]This is a continuation of a topic that has split off from another
thread. i thought it may benefit from having it's own thread. On that
thread there have been assertions about inherent euphonic colorations
of vinyl.

snip
Euphonic colorations:

Yep, they do exist as well. I should know, I paid about 15K for them
in my TT rig. I don't have any hard data to back up my assertion. My
assertion is based on side by side blind comparisons between the TT
rig I eventually bought (The Forsell Air Reference with the flywheel)
(I eventually bought the same make and model not the same physical
rig) and one that was famous for being SOTA in the elimination of TT
rig colorations (the Rockport Sirius III). I am confident that they
sounded substantially different. The differences were easily
identifiable under blind conditions. Based on their designs I am
fairly confident that the Rockport Sirius III was the less colored of
the two rigs. I very much prefered the Forsell. IMO that is evidence
of euphonic colorations present in the Forsell.

QUOTE]

You do indeed hit the nail on the head here, whether by intention or not. In forty years as an audiophile, I have never heard two vinyl rigs which sounded the same. I agree that the Rockport is one of the 'cleanest' I've ever heard, but the basic point is that they *all* sound different, hence they are *all* distorted - though there are of course common themes of treble splash, inner groove distortion, tracing distortion and surface noise, which are inherent to the medium. The Forsell also has an excellent reputation from a purely technical point of view, so a purchaser of the Sirius could fairly argue that his purchase had the euphonic distortions, this being a matter of taste rather than absolute superiority.

OTOH, just to rhrow fuel on the flames, most decent CD players, even with widely different DAC technology and output circuitry, sound *identical* in blind testing, which suggests that they do *not* suffer from audible disortion.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

This is a continuation of a topic that has split off from
another thread. i thought it may benefit from having it's
own thread. On that thread there have been assertions
about inherent euphonic colorations of vinyl.

"You haven't noticed 'the' superior quality, you've noticed a
quality that you consider to sound superior. This could
be the different mastering used for LPs compared to CDs,
or it could be inherent sound qualities added by the
vinyl medium and playback devices, or it could be both."

I'll vote for both. The fact of the matter is that just about everybody has
abandoned vinyl but a few. The preference has to be based on the
perception of a desired sound quality, not better sonic accuracy.

"For live recordings, a 'clean' digital 2-channel
recording will capture the original 'ambience' as well as
the master tape did (which is to say, only moderately
well, given the limits of 2-channel) -- but transcribing
that to LP will actually ADD some spurious, if pleasing
to some, 'ambience' of its own, via euphonic distortion
inherent in vinyl playback."

I do a ton of digital 2-channel live recording using a good-quality
coincident pair. It works.

And those assertions have been challenged.

Of course! ;-)

"Please tell us how you know about this distortion that
is "inherent" in LP playback.

Please compare

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/image...raph-large.gif

Note that this graphic shows a 1 KHz tone, with the second harmonic about 20
dB down, which I call 10% second harmonic nonlinear distortion. 10%
distortion is a lot of distortion by any standard.

to:

http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/rega-2/grado-SNR.gif

Note that this graphic shows a 300 Hz tone, with the second and third
harmonics each 40-45 dB down, which I call less than one percent second and
third harmonic distortion.

What playback equipment
have you used to determine this?

Looking at the two examples, it appears that we have quite a range of
equipment.

The PCAVTech equipment is obviously very humble - Turntable was a Rega
Planar 2 with RB-100 Tone Arm. Test media was the HFN Test LP . Preamp was a
Conrad Johnson CJ-2. The cartridge was either a Shure M44-7 or a Rega
Silver. Kinda doesn't matter, their performance is not that dissimilar.

The hometheaterhifi.com equipment a McIntosh MT10 Turntable with factory
cartridge (made by Clearaudio), seems to be very elegant. It seems to have
been set up with great care.

Please be specific:
turntables, pickup arms, phono cartridges, phono
preamplifiers. Because you claim this playback
characteristic is "inherent," you must have experimented
with more than one playback system. Did you conduct any
measurements which document your claim?

I've done this kind of test many times over the decades, and the results I
posted at http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/rega-2/index.htm are very
typical of a wide range of equipment. I don't think I could get as good
performance out of a $100 plastic USB turntable/arm/cartrdige, but maybe I'm
saying that in a state of ignorace and negative prejudice. ;-)

The real surprise is the seemingly poor performance posted at
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/image...raph-large.gif

I call that really poor performance, and we don't even have a frequency
response curve that actually involves playing vinyl.

IME you don't get 7-10% THD by accident - that equipment had to be
intentionally designed to perform that poorly.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Oct 22, 3:26*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

This is a continuation of a topic that has split off from
another thread. i thought it may benefit from having it's
own thread. On that thread there have been assertions
about inherent euphonic colorations of vinyl.
"You haven't noticed 'the' superior quality, you've noticed a
quality that you consider to sound superior. This could
be the different mastering used for LPs compared to CDs,
or it could be inherent sound qualities added by the
vinyl medium and playback devices, or it could be both."

I'll vote for both.

I think that is a reasonable "vote." I certainly would vote for the
mastering. I have to say I am still on the fence on the inherent
euphonic distortions. OTOH it seems you are not considering the
possibility of euphonic distortions that are not neccessarily inherent
in vinyl playback may be in play as well. I can vouch for those in my
system. For whatever vouching is worth.

The fact of the matter is that just about everybody has
abandoned vinyl but a few. *The preference has to be based on the
perception of a desired sound quality, not better sonic accuracy.

I think this is a classic case of....
6. Confusing association with causation This is similar to the post-
hoc fallacy in that it assumes cause and effect for two variables
simply because they are correlated, although the relationship here is
not strictly that of one variable following the other in time. This
fallacy is often used to give a statistical correlation a causal
interpretation. For example, during the 1990s both religious
attendance and illegal drug use have been on the rise. It would be a
fallacy to conclude that therefore, religious attendance causes
illegal drug use. It is also possible that drug use leads to an
increase in religious attendance, or that both drug use and religious
attendance are increased by a third variable, such as an increase in
societal unrest. It is also possible that both variables are
independent of one another, and it is mere coincidence that they are
both increasing at the same time. A corollary to this is the
invocation of this logical fallacy to argue that an association does
not represent causation, rather it is more accurate to say that
correlation does not necessarily mean causation, but it can. Also,
multiple independent correlations can point reliably to a causation,
and is a reasonable line of argument.
http://www.theskepticsguide.org/logicalfallacies.asp

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/image...8/vinyl-vs-cd-...

Note that this graphic shows a 1 KHz tone, with the second harmonic about 20
dB down, which I call 10% second harmonic nonlinear distortion. *10%
distortion is a lot of distortion by any standard.

Looks to me like a 40db difference. Maybe I am reading it incorrectly.
But more importantly, how do you differentiate the distortion that is
inherent from the distortion that is unique to that particular rig and
the test record?

to:

http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/rega-2/grado-SNR.gif

Note that this graphic shows a 300 Hz tone, with the second and third
harmonics each 40-45 dB down, which I call less than one percent *second and
third harmonic distortion.

OK. But again, how do you tell the difference between the inherent
distortion in the medium and the distortion that is unique to your rig
and the test record?

*What playback equipment
have you used to determine this?

Looking at the two examples, it appears that we have quite a range of
equipment.

I don't agree at all. I would argue that neither rig would be found to
be SOTA. If you are looking for the thresholds of the medium I think
you have to start with a disc cut at one of the handful of state of
the art mastering studios and you would have to use a Rockport Sirius
III or the top model Continuum or maybe the top model Transrotor rig.
One may have to use several such assults on the state of the art and
sift out the common distortions. I suspect one would need measurements
that are far more specific than levels of harmonic distortion.

The PCAVTech equipment is obviously very humble - Turntable was a Rega
Planar 2 with RB-100 Tone Arm. Test media was the HFN Test LP . Preamp was a
Conrad Johnson CJ-2. The cartridge was *either a Shure M44-7 or a Rega
Silver. Kinda doesn't matter, their performance is not that dissimilar.

I think it matters tremendously.

The hometheaterhifi.com equipment *a McIntosh MT10 Turntable with factory
cartridge (made by Clearaudio), seems to be very elegant. It seems to have
been set up with great care.

I'm sure it was.

Please be specific:
turntables, pickup arms, phono cartridges, phono
preamplifiers. Because you claim this playback
characteristic is "inherent," you must have experimented
with more than one playback system. Did you conduct any
measurements which document your claim?

I've done this kind of test many times over the decades, and the results I
posted athttp://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/rega-2/index.htm* are very
typical of a wide range of equipment. I don't think I could get as good
performance out of a $100 plastic USB turntable/arm/cartrdige, but maybe I'm
saying that in a state of ignorace and negative prejudice. ;-)

I think that is a possibility. If one really wants to get a handle on
inherent colorations one has to be extremely careful to differentiate
colorations that are inherent from those that are unique to the rig
and test record.

The real surprise is the seemingly poor performance posted athttp://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/april-2008/vinyl-vs-cd-...

I call that really poor performance, and we don't even have a frequency
response curve that actually involves playing vinyl.

But aren't you making a qualitative judgement without even knowing
what it sounds like?

IME you don't get 7-10% THD by accident - that equipment had to be
intentionally designed to perform that poorly.

If that is the case then clearly we have something more than just
"inherent" distortion present don't we?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message

"Please tell us how you know about this distortion that
is "inherent" in LP playback.

Please compare

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/image...8/vinyl-vs-cd-...

Note that this graphic shows a 1 KHz tone, with the
second harmonic about 20
dB down, which I call 10% second harmonic nonlinear
distortion. 10% distortion is a lot of distortion by any standard.

As you point out, I was mislead by the author's commentary. The difference
is just about exactly 40 dB, which is still very poor performance for a
modern playback device. The accompanying text talks about 7-10% THD+N which
mislead me.

But more importantly, how do you
differentiate the distortion that is inherent from the
distortion that is unique to that particular rig and the
test record?

One presumes competence on the part of the person doing the test - that they
used an adequate test record.

to:

http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/rega-2/grado-SNR.gif

Note that this graphic shows a 300 Hz tone, with the
second and third
harmonics each 40-45 dB down, which I call less than one
percent second and third harmonic distortion.

OK. But again, how do you tell the difference between the
inherent distortion in the medium and the distortion that
is unique to your rig and the test record?

I used a SOTA test record. My modest rig outperformed a highly-expensive
rig.

Actually, your point is well taken. The poor technical performance is
partially due to the test record in the sense that as a rule, no test like
this ever obtains significantly better results, because after all, this is
LP playback.

Note that while my test results are still signficantly better - almost 6 dB
better, they are in the same rather pathetic range.

What playback equipment
have you used to determine this?

Looking at the two examples, it appears that we have
quite a range of
equipment.

I don't agree at all. I would argue that neither rig
would be found to be SOTA.

You've missed the point - the cheaper rig which most would agree is far
less SOTA than the more expensive one, outperformed the more expensive rig
by a signficant margin.

If you are looking for the
thresholds of the medium I think you have to start with a
disc cut at one of the handful of state of the art
mastering studios and you would have to use a Rockport
Sirius III or the top model Continuum or maybe the top
model Transrotor rig.

Persons with such equipment are free to publish their results. They haven't,
and that is because their results won't be signficantly better (i.e., 10
times better) than either of the above tests.

[...]

But, I've already show that a humble, apparently outdated rig can outperform
a modern, far more apparently sophisticated expensive one. If you check
the timing of the tests, my test predated the test of the expensive rig by
about 7 years.

The real surprise is the seemingly poor performance
posted
athttp://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/april-2008/vinyl-vs-cd-...

I call that really poor performance, and we don't even
have a frequency
response curve that actually involves playing vinyl.

But aren't you making a qualitative judgement without
even knowing what it sounds like?

We already know what both rigs sound like - they sound like vinyl, with
audible tics, timbre changes both static and dynamic, pops, rumble, hiss,
and distortion.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

We already know what both rigs sound like - they sound like vinyl, with
audible tics, timbre changes both static and dynamic, pops, rumble, hiss,
and distortion.

As this lengthy thread has demonstrated, there have been no reliable
primary sources shown here to substantiate that this is inherently what
vinyl sounds like. It's just an oft-repeated canard.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"C. Leeds" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

We already know what both rigs sound like - they sound like vinyl, with
audible tics, timbre changes both static and dynamic, pops, rumble,
hiss,
and distortion.

As this lengthy thread has demonstrated, there have been no reliable
primary sources shown here to substantiate that this is inherently what
vinyl sounds like.

So all those JAES articles that Stephen cited are what, secondary sources?

Where do they teach that sort of thinking as good academic research?

Have you even looked at their abstracts?

Do you know who their authors were?

It's just an oft-repeated canard.

It is all a trivially-demonstrable fact.

I challenge you to post a digital transcription of a LP that contains no
detectible evidence of *any* of the problems mentioned above.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Oct 23, 5:47�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I find that presumption to be unacceptable. One cannot draw such
universal conclusions about the inherent colorations of the medium
based on such a limited sampling.

to:
http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/rega-2/grado-SNR.gif
Note that this graphic shows a 300 Hz tone, with the
second and third
harmonics each 40-45 dB down, which I call less than one
percent second and third harmonic distortion.

OK. But again, how do you tell the difference between the
inherent distortion in the medium and the distortion that
is unique to your rig and the test record?

I used a SOTA test record. �My modest rig �outperformed a highly-expensive
rig.

I disagree. The test record you used was not cut on the latest most
advanced cutting lathes and does not represent the state of the art of
vinyl mastering.

Actually, your point is well taken. The poor technical performance is
partially due to the test record �in the sense that as a rule, no test like
this ever obtains significantly better results, because after all, this is
LP playback.

This is a faulty logical argument.
18. Tautology A tautology is an argument that utilizes circular
reasoning, which means that the conclusion is also its own premise.
The structure of such arguments is A=B therefore A=B, although the
premise and conclusion might be formulated differently so it is not
immediately apparent as such. For example, saying that therapeutic
touch works because it manipulates the life force is a tautology
because the definition of therapeutic touch is the alleged
manipulation (without touching) of the life force.

Note that while my test results are still signficantly better - almost 6 dB
better, �they are in the same rather pathetic range.

It still tells us very little about what distortions are inherent in
the technology and what distortions are unique to each device. It does
tell us that one device clearly must have some distortion that is not
inherent in the medium. We have no way of determining how much of that
measured distortion is inherent in the medium and how much is added by
the specific propperties of that rig and that test record. We simply
can deduct that at least some of it is indeed added by that specific
rig and/or that specific test record. This leaves us with your rig,
The one with the lower measured distortion. One would have to presume
that your rig and test record are both SOTA and free from any of the
added distortion we can deduct is likely present in the other rig and
test record to assume that these measurments are purely a measurement
of only the inherent colorations of the medium. I think this would be
a terribly irrational presumption with no foundation. This leaves us
in the same situation we started. We don't know how much of the
measured distortion in either test is inherent in the medium. You
simply can't determine this just by these two examples.

What playback equipment
have you used to determine this?
Looking at the two examples, it appears that we have
quite a range of
equipment.

I don't agree at all. I would argue that neither rig
would be found to be SOTA.

You've missed the point - the cheaper �rig which most would agree is far
less SOTA than the more expensive one, outperformed the more expensive rig
by a signficant margin.

My point is that one cannot deduct from these two sets of
measurements what distortions are inherent in the medium. This was
never about the subjective evaluation of additional distortions that
are unique to each rig. That is an entirely different subject.

If you are looking for the
thresholds of the medium I think you have to start with a
disc cut at one of the handful of state of the art
mastering studios and you would have to use a Rockport
Sirius III or the top model Continuum or maybe the top
model Transrotor rig.

Persons with such equipment are free to publish their results. They haven't,
and that is because their results won't be signficantly better (i.e., 10
times better) than either of the above tests.

This is a faulty argument.
12. Non-Sequitur In Latin this term translates to "doesn't follow".
This refers to an argument in which the conclusion does not
necessarily follow from the premises. In other words, a logical
connection is implied where none exists.

[...]

It tells nothing about what measured distortions in your rig and your
test record are inherent in the medium and what distortions are not
inherent in the medium.

The real surprise is the seemingly poor performance
posted
athttp://www.hometheaterhifi.com/images/stories/april-2008/vinyl-vs-cd-...
I call that really poor performance, and we don't even
have a frequency
response curve that actually involves playing vinyl.

But aren't you making a qualitative judgement without
even knowing what it sounds like?

We already know what both rigs sound like

No we don't. You have some idea what one of them sounds like under
sighted conditions with your personal sound system which makes your
opinions limited in scope and subject to your biases. Neither one of
us has even listened to the other rig.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message

[...]

I find flat, unjustified, unsupported dismissal of the work of a well-known
technician to be unacceptable.

One cannot draw such
universal conclusions about the inherent colorations of the medium
based on such a limited sampling.

Scott, that would be proof positive that you haven't bothered to do your
reading. You asked for the references, which makes you responsible for
reviewing them before you dismiss them.

to:
http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/rega-2/grado-SNR.gif
Note that this graphic shows a 300 Hz tone, with the
second and third
harmonics each 40-45 dB down, which I call less than one
percent second and third harmonic distortion.
OK. But again, how do you tell the difference between the
inherent distortion in the medium and the distortion that
is unique to your rig and the test record?

I used a SOTA test record. �My modest rig �outperformed a
highly-expensive
rig.

I disagree. The test record you used was not cut on the latest most
advanced cutting lathes and does not represent the state of the art of
vinyl mastering.

Prove it.

Actually, your point is well taken. The poor technical performance is
partially due to the test record �in the sense that as a rule, no test
like
this ever obtains significantly better results, because after all, this
is
LP playback.

This is a faulty logical argument.

Only if one has not done his homework.

18. Tautology A tautology is an argument that utilizes circular
reasoning, which means that the conclusion is also its own premise.

It's only a tautology to people who are unfamiliar with the technical
literature of LP technology. References to a goodly sample of that
literature has been posted here in good bibliographical style. Pretending
it doesn't exist would not appear to be a well-justified course of action.

Note that while my test results are still signficantly better - almost 6
dB
better. IOW, they are in the same rather pathetic range.

It still tells us very little about what distortions are inherent in
the technology and what distortions are unique to each device.

The only people who know little about what distortions are inherent in the
various aspects
LP technology are those who have at this point intentionally ignored the
supplied references to the technical literature of LP technology. The two
samples of real-world performance at hand are representative of what the LP
format does, and is consistent with a body of knowledge that is available to
the general public and has been published over the past 40 years.

Anybody who thinks they can obtain better performance from their LP playback
systems need only invest in one or more test records and make effective use
of a reasonably up-to-date PC or Mac. Thus, it is up to them to obtain
reliable evidence that supports their beliefs or have their beliefs
dismissed on the ground that they are unwilling to provide reasonable
support for their beliefs.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

wrote in message ...
[...]

In addition to all the above, don't forget that all pick-up cartridge have
harmonic distortions of the order of 2-3%, some higher, some perhaps a
little lower. Considering that an analogue tape machine will also have 3%
distortion (that's how peak level is defined, the 3% distortion point) and I
have no idea how much distortion the cutter itself has, plus springback on
the lacquer which leads to harmonic distortion, the total is considerable.
That's another form of inherent coloration.

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Oct 22, 3:35�pm, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:

In addition to all the above, don't forget that all pick-up cartridge have
harmonic distortions of the order of 2-3%, some higher, some perhaps a
little lower. Considering that an analogue tape machine will also have 3%
distortion (that's how peak level is defined, the 3% distortion point) and I
have no idea how much distortion the cutter itself has, plus springback on
the lacquer which leads to harmonic distortion, the total is considerable.
That's another form of inherent coloration.

S.
--http://audiopages.googlepages.com- Hide quoted text -

A valid point. But how much of that harmonic distortion is audible?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:

In addition to all the above, don't forget that all pick-up cartridge
have
harmonic distortions of the order of 2-3%, some higher, some perhaps a
little lower. Considering that an analogue tape machine will also have 3%
distortion (that's how peak level is defined, the 3% distortion point)
and I
have no idea how much distortion the cutter itself has, plus springback
on
the lacquer which leads to harmonic distortion, the total is
considerable.
That's another form of inherent coloration.

S.
--http://audiopages.googlepages.com- Hide quoted text -

A valid point. But how much of that harmonic distortion is audible?

It's hard to say as it depends on many factors. However, tests done on
harmonic distortion that I recall reading many years ago indicated that 1%
was the lower limit for audibility, but it depended on frequency and masking
by other sounds. As I recall, that was the origin of the 0.1% distortion
desiderata for amplifiers as it was 10x better than was likely to be
audible, and could therefore be comfortably taken as being completely
inaudible under all circumstances. Nothing in the intervening 50 years or so
has made this invalid as far as I know.

As to vinyl, I suppose one could cut a record from an unequalised digital
master and similarly produce a CD and compare the two. However, the limited
dynamic range that would result from having necessarily to cut from an
unequalised master would not be a valid comparison with "real world" LPs.
Practical LPs are cut from masters specially equalised and compressed to get
the best subjective result from the limited medium. There is also a great
deal of skill (art rather than science) on the part of the Cutting Engineer
who will try and balance the conflicting requirements of noise against
level, frequency response against level against distortion, level against
playing time and pre-echo, level against playability by less sophisticated
record players, managing stereo difference i.e stylus vertical movement, and
possibly other things I haven't thought of.

Can you imaging someone starting out today, with no knowledge of vinyl, and
trying to invent a mechanical engraving system to reproduce Hi-Fi sound? I
think anyone would conclude it's just not possible, and yet......

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

wrote in ...
wrote:

[...]

So it stands to reason that this may actually be a source of euphonic
distortion in vinyl playback.

As to vinyl, I suppose one could cut a record from an unequalised digital
master and similarly produce a CD and compare the two. However, the limited
dynamic range that would result from having necessarily to cut from an
unequalised master would not be a valid comparison with "real world" LPs.

Actually James Boyk did something quite similar. He made a comparison
pachage with his recording of Pictures at an Exhibition. He took the
direct feed from the mic preamp and recorded it both in analog and hi
rez digital. From the analog tapes he cut both a CD and an LP with
xero signal proccessing other than the obvious RIAA EQ for the LP and
A/D conversion for the CD. He included the digital recording on the CD
for a comparison between the digital and analog recorders.

Practical LPs are cut from masters specially equalised and compressed to get
the best subjective result from the limited medium.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "practical" LP. I can tell you though
that I own a good many LPs that have not been compressed at all. OTOH
unfortunately I own a good many CDs that have been compressed to
death. It is a sad state of affairs in today's music industry.

There is also a great
deal of skill (art rather than science) on the part of the Cutting Engineer
who will try and balance the conflicting requirements of noise against
level, frequency response against level against distortion, level against
playing time and pre-echo, level against playability by less sophisticated
record players, managing stereo difference i.e stylus vertical movement, and
possibly other things I haven't thought of.

I can't argue with that. It is a job that takes tremendous skill to do
well, so I am told.

Can you imaging someone starting out today, with no knowledge of vinyl, and
trying to invent a mechanical engraving system to reproduce Hi-Fi sound? I
think anyone would conclude it's just not possible, and yet......

And yet... I remember back when I first got into CDs back in 84. It
was the begining of my persuit of the hobby of high end audio. I
thought the idea of dragging a rock over a piece of plastic to make a
sound seemed pretty absurd in the face of this new digital technology.
And yet.... to this day I am still for the most part getting my best
sound from dragging a rock over a piece of plastic.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in
message
wrote in message

A valid point. But how much of that harmonic distortion
is audible?

Harmonic distortion is not audible nor is it the intent that it be audible.
Harmonic distortion is an abstract means that is commonly, but often
erroneously used to characterize something that *IS* relevant, which is
nonlinear distortion.

The general rule is that nonlinear distortion that would produce 0.1% THD
if you properly chose to characterize it that way, can cause reliably
audible consequence.

It's hard to say as it depends on many factors. However,
tests done on harmonic distortion that I recall reading
many years ago indicated that 1% was the lower limit for
audibility, but it depended on frequency and masking by
other sounds.

The 1% rule is easy to debunk on the grounds that it can easily be too high.

As I recall, that was the origin of the
0.1% distortion desiderata for amplifiers as it was 10x
better than was likely to be audible, and could therefore
be comfortably taken as being completely inaudible under
all circumstances.

Actually, if I get to pick the music, there is a high probability that
nonlinear distortion of 0.1% in the 20-20 KHz range would likely be
objectionable to you, even if you were listening to a good car radio at 70
mph.

As to vinyl, I suppose one could cut a record from an
unequalised digital master and similarly produce a CD and
compare the two.

Vinyl is so limited in terms of dynamic range that many if not most digital
masters would require further processing if a good-sounding LP were the
desired outcome. It is perfectly trivial to create a digital master that
would damage most LP cutting equipment if not operated by an expert. The
expert would start out by changing the master. Producing an acceptable LP
from an unaltered digital master of ordinary music might be impossible.

However, the limited dynamic range that
would result from having necessarily to cut from an
unequalised master would not be a valid comparison with
"real world" LPs.

Agreed.

Practical LPs are cut from masters
specially equalised and compressed to get the best
subjective result from the limited medium. There is also
a great deal of skill (art rather than science) on the
part of the Cutting Engineer who will try and balance the
conflicting requirements of noise against level,
frequency response against level against distortion,
level against playing time and pre-echo, level against
playability by less sophisticated record players,
managing stereo difference i.e stylus vertical movement,
and possibly other things I haven't thought of.

Agreed.

If we want to compare the LP format to the CD format, we first have to bias
the test to favor the LP.

Obviously, unbiased comparisons of the two are impossible.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Snipped

As I recall, that was the origin of the
0.1% distortion desiderata for amplifiers as it was 10x
better than was likely to be audible, and could therefore
be comfortably taken as being completely inaudible under
all circumstances.

Actually, if I get to pick the music, there is a high probability that
nonlinear distortion of 0.1% in the 20-20 KHz range would likely be
objectionable to you, even if you were listening to a good car radio at 70
mph.

This is interesting:- What music would have 0.1% distortion that's audible?
That's 60dB down on peak, so I would be very surprised to be able to hear
anything 60dB down on programme, especially when correlated to the
programme.

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Oct 23, 5:47�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
Vinyl is so limited in terms of dynamic range that many if not most digital
masters would require further processing if a good-sounding LP were the
desired outcome. It is perfectly trivial to create a digital master that
would damage most LP cutting equipment if not operated by an expert. The
expert would start out by changing the master. Producing an acceptable LP
from an unaltered digital master of ordinary music might be impossible.

To the best of my knowledge there are very few commercial recordings
that have an excess of 75 db dynamic range. This is rarely an issue at
all.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

I've begun to realise this week that one of the great attractions of
analog audio media was the very fact that they were inherently flawed
(for all the many reasons discussed in other threads recently), and
therefore there was always a market and opportunity for some new piece
of hardware or technology to extract just that little extra bit of
signal, with less colouration or less distortion or whatever. That,
from a hobbyist's point of view, is really very attractive. There can
never be perfection, but you can continually come up with new ideas
and tricks to improve the reproduction, albeit with diminishing
returns.

The "problem" with digital is that once you have the signal digitised,
the reading of that signal is always going to be perfect - you can't
do anything to improve it. So it's a technically solvable problem
which can no longer be tinkered with to improve. My commodity DVD
drive in my laptop, or the drive in a 30 pound player from my local
supermarket can read that digital stream from a CD perfectly. So
what's the fun in that? And of course, from the expensive, high
profit-margin hi-fi manufacturer's point of view, where's the market
in that?

Therein, I believe, lies one of the key reasons for the mythology of
"analog sound" or "vinyl sound". Its reproduction can never be
perfect but can always be improved.

Similarly, technological progress has meant that the processing of the
digital signal through a DAC chip has inevitably reached a point where
it can barely be improved and is, to all intents and purposes,
perfect, but now at a commodity price. I suspect the average DAC in
the latest bottom of the range Dell laptop is now more than adequate
for even a high-end system. Again, what's the fun in that?

It's interesting that the only part in the audio playback chain that
we're now left with where near perfection at low cost by cannot be
reached by current commodity technology is the loudspeaker. I guess
that's now the sole area where the "fun" element and hobbiest element
of hi-fi now really resides, with people going to extraordinary
lengths to achieve the perfect sound from their latest speaker design.

Of course there's still the folks who will try to persuade the
gullible that the digital domain can be still improved upon (witness
the barmy green pens to paint the edge of your CDs with some years
ago, and weights to stop physical vibrations affecting the digital
stream), but I guess that what they're pandering to is a final hope
that some element of hobbyist tinkering-about must surely be possible
in the digital chain.

So the fact is that my Mac Mini + USB hard drive + EMU USB DAC +
Behringer power amp (total cost not very much, particularly since the
Mac was surplus to requirements having been purchased for some other
work project) arguably delivers a near perfect signal to my speakers
(which I confess sadly let the side down somewhat!). Gone are the
days when you need eye-wateringly expensive CD transports with
special, separate power supplies, DACs, pre-amps and power amps
(though you'd hardly guess that from the magazine articles and
adverts).

I'm happy - I'm getting the kind of sound I used to dream about, but
for only a small amount of capital outlay, and I can enjoy the purpose
of the exercise as far as I'm concerned - listening to music which is
where I now spend my money.

The hobbyist hi-fi enthusiast must look upon this as a bleak
utilitarian desert - where's the fun in my system? I guess, from his
point of view, very little....

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
vlad vlad is offline

On Nov 4, 5:40*am, Rob Tweed wrote:
I've begun to realise this week that one of the great attractions of
analog audio media was the very fact that they were inherently flawed
(for all the many reasons discussed in other threads recently), and
therefore there was always a market and opportunity for some new piece
of hardware or technology to extract just that little extra bit of
signal, with less colouration or less distortion or whatever. *That,
from a hobbyist's point of view, is really very attractive. *There can
never be perfection, but you can continually come up with new ideas
and tricks to improve the reproduction, albeit with diminishing
returns.

In general I agree with your post. except in one point. Did you
notice how much difference new arm, cartridge, clamps, etc. make? If
using it makes a noticeable difference (and I believe it is) then at
least in one of cases (clamp/no clamp) we have an audibly distorted
sound. And tomorrow new mat on the plate will make a noticeable change
in a sound again. So where is "High Fidelity" in this?

I think the real answer is that hi-end audiophiles redefined Hi-Fi
as something that pleases their ears instead of closeness to the
original signal recorded on the media. So they are tweaking their
equipment to achieve Hi-FI in this sense. And analogue being fragile
and inherently imperfect provides fertile ground for that kind of
hobby. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you know what you
are doing.

I will not go into sneak oil salesmen's exploits in this area,
after all I support the right to be exploited :-)

vlad

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Nov 4, 8:03�am, vlad wrote:
On Nov 4, 5:40�am, Rob Tweed wrote:

� � I think the real answer is that hi-end audiophiles redefined Hi-Fi
as something that pleases their ears instead of closeness to the
original signal recorded on the media. So they are tweaking their
equipment to achieve Hi-FI in this sense. And analogue being fragile
and inherently imperfect provides fertile ground for that kind of
hobby. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you know what you
are doing.

The original "signal" recorded on the media does not have an intrinsic
sound of it's own. How do you use the "original signal" as any kind of
*sonic* reference without setting up playback equipment as a part of
that reference sound as well? You talk about audiophiles seeking sound
that pleases their ears as though it were a bad choice. If hifi does
not please the end users ears how is that ever good? I am going to go
out on a limb and guess you have a philosophy that places a priority
on alleged "accuracy" in each component in the chain of any playback
system. My question is why should that be the priority for audiophiles
IYO?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message
On Nov 4, 8:03�am, vlad wrote:
[...]

My own priority certainly is accuracy over pleasure. The problem with a
system that's nice to listen to but inaccurate, is that you're forever
tweaking it, upgrading, sidegrading etc, in an attempt to make is sound even
better. Once you have a system that's as accurate as you can get it, then
you just stop the whole upgrade stuff and enjoy the music. Accurate doesn't
even have to be expensive, as most commercial ordinary electronics is
perfectly accurate, and accurate 'speakers have been made for years, and are
available used for modest amounts. So, if you enjoy the whole hobby of
tweaking, upgrading etc, then fine, but if you just want to enjoy the music,
get an accurate system and call that it.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:05:56 -0800, Serge Auckland wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message
On Nov 4, 8:03�am, vlad wrote:
[...]

Accurate to what? That's my question. Most audiophiles use CD as a source,
and CD players all sound the same and are as accurate as modern D/A
converters can make them. Modern amplifying equipment has extremely low
distortion and wide bandwidth making them, essentially transparent. Speakers
are the only modern component that has any real affect on how the system
sounds (and, of course, the room, but few of us have other than very limited
control over that). Like I said in another post, if one listens to pop music,
the only way that it will sound as the artists and producers intended is for
you, the listener, to use the same make and model of speakers to listen to
the playback as they used to make it to begin with. Otherwise, your system is
NOT accurate. To that extent, ALL systems are inaccurate and all of us are
buying systems that are ultimately, merely nice to listen to. If one thinks
otherwise, it seems to me that he is deluding himself.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

wrote in message
On Nov 4, 8:03�am, vlad wrote:
[...]

That's not necessarily true, Scott. If the selection of equipment (that is
not "accurate" in all respects) honors the music (in other word, whatever
deviation it has serves to reinforce the illusion of live music, or helps
foster an emotional "connection" to the music), then one can put together a
system and live happily with it, without essential change, for 25 or 30
years. My own system meets that criteria, and having done recording and
knowing the sound of acoustical music performed live in many different
facilities, I was able to assemble a system that satisfied me musically.

The urge to tweak and upgrade tends to come from people who think (or are
told) there is something better, but don't have the inbred knowledge of live
musical performance to know (without being told) that it sounds "musical" in
the best sense of the word.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Nov 4, 3:05�pm, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 4, 8:03 am, vlad wrote:
[...]

OK lets hold on to this thought.

The problem with a
system that's nice to listen to but inaccurate, is that you're forever
tweaking it, upgrading, sidegrading etc, in an attempt to make is sound even
better.

Thta arguement fails IMO on two levels. 1. It really is a non sequitor
argument. 2. How is any of what you describe a problem? You have
audiophiles enjoying pleasent sound and then enjoying the persuit of
even more pleasing sound and then enjoying the more pleasing sound
even more than before etc etc etc. That sounds like the life of a very
successful audiophile to me. How would any of that be a problem?

Once you have a system that's as accurate as you can get it, then
you just stop the whole upgrade stuff and enjoy the music.

But one enjoys the music on a system that is sonically pleasing and
one can always choose to stop where ever they are and continue to
enjoy the plessing sounding music. OTOH you sort of shifted the
accuracy thing here. Originally you said you would take accuracy over
pleasure and yet you are now claiming accurate sound, whatever that
may be, is pleasing. So if one is actually choosing accuracy over
pleasure then you are not ending up with a more pleasing sound.

Accurate doesn't
even have to be expensive, as most commercial ordinary electronics is
perfectly accurate, and accurate 'speakers have been made for years, and are
available used for modest amounts.

What do you mean by accurate here? Are you suggesting that for a
modest price we can get playback that is indistinguishable from live
music? Isn't that what truly "accurate" playback means?

So, if you enjoy the whole hobby of
tweaking, upgrading etc, then fine, but if you just want to enjoy the music,
get an accurate system and call that it.

How does a pleasing sounding system prevent us from enjoying the
music? How does an "accurate" system insure of of enjoyment when, as
you say, one may have to choose between "accurate" sound and
"pleasing" sound? Why do you think listening to pleasing sound will
lead to chronic upgrading while listening to accurate sound that will
in some cases by something less than pleasing leave listeners
sonically satisfied? It seems to me like you atr promoting an
aesthetic sacrifice based on nonaesthetic principles. I think that
would lead me to want to change things.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 08:53:10 -0800, wrote
(in article ):

On Nov 4, 8:03�am, vlad wrote:
[...]

Well, it CAN'T be, if you come down to it. Not being present at the original
session that produced that "signal", we have no idea what it's supposed to
sound like. We can believe that the CD represents what the record company,
and the artists want to sell. We can make sure that our playback systems are
as neutral and coloration free as possible. We can choose speakers that we
deem as being neutral and wide range, but we can never be sure that this is
what the record company intended. For instance, what can one say about a rock
recording that is being played-back on state of the art electronics and say,
Magneplanar MG-3.6 speakers (certainly a good choice for speakers)? Is this
representative of the artist or producers' intentions? I'd say no, because 9
chances out of 10, I'd bet that the recording was mixed and "realized" on JBL
studio monitors - about as far from a pair of Maggies as one can get. Sure,
the Maggies'll sound great, but they won't sound like what the producers and
artists heard when they approved the final product of the recording sessions
and therefore won't represent a "high degree of faithfulness" to that sound.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 08:03:33 -0800, vlad wrote
(in article ):

[...]

What you say IS true to a certain extent. The term "High-Fidelity" means,
simply, a high-degree of faithfulness to the original. This, in itself, is
fairly vague, you must admit. Faithful to what? The original performance?
What if the original performance exists only inside the recording electronics
used to capture it (like it is with so much modern pop)? How do we know when
our playback is being faithful to such a performance, unless, we were there
at the mixing desk, listening to the final mix on the same make and model of
loudspeakers that the producers and musicians were listening to at the time?
Or does High-Fidelity refer to faithfulness to the electrical signal
representing the performance? All we can do is buy equipment which is low
distortion and hope for the best.

Remember, whatever High-Fidelity actually means, its a to a degree. That
degree is dictated by the states of the various arts and sciences involved.
In the 1930's, RCA called their "Photophone" sound-on-film process
'High-Fidelity" but with an upper limit of about 7KHz and huge peak in the
2-4 KHz region, I doubt seriously if any of us would agree that it's
high-fidelity anything.

What it comes down to is that modern Hi-Fi is the purveyor or an illusion.
The illusion is that of either being metaphorically transported to a live
performance, or, having that live performance brought into our living room.
Various industry pundits even argue over which of those is the most
efficacious approach to High-Fidelity reproduction.

So, you can't blame audiophiles, for finally, resorting to an attitude that
says that High-Fidelity is what sounds good to them. And that attitude covers
a multitude of different opinions. Most of us weren't at the original
performance/recording session. Many recording sessions produce performances
that don't even exist in real time or space. How are we to know, then, what
constitutes a "...closeness to the original signal recorded on the media."
when we don't know what that signal is representing in terms of the sound?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
vlad vlad is offline

On Nov 4, 3:10*pm, Sonnova wrote:

So, you can't blame audiophiles, for finally, resorting to an attitude that
says that High-Fidelity is what sounds good to them. And that attitude covers
a multitude of different opinions. Most of us weren't at the original
performance/recording session. Many recording sessions produce performances
that don't even exist in real time or space. How are we to know, then, what
constitutes a "...closeness to the original signal recorded on the media."
when we don't know what that signal is representing in terms of the sound?

If you noticed I did not blame audiophiles for anything. If Hi-Fi
means "whatever pleases me most" then
may be we have to replace it with Mo-Pl "Most Pleasing". Then we will
have as many Mo-Pl's as many hi-enders are there. BTW, is SOTA the
collection of equipment that provides Hi-Fi or Mo-Pl? I think it is
rather Mo-Pl.

About "...closeness to the original signal". Yes, I don't know in most
cases how original performance sounded live. However, I believe that
it is a duty of recording engineer and mastering engineer after him to
provide a recording that is as close as possible to original live
sound. And if it is the case then I trust their judgment and prefer
equipment that provide Hi-Fi in a sense of "...closeness to the
original signal recorded on the media.". Did I make myself clear?

vlad

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 17:07:23 -0800, vlad wrote
(in article ):

On Nov 4, 3:10*pm, Sonnova wrote:

[...]

The term High-Fidelity was coined soon after the introduction of electrical
recording methods and stuck. Most people don't even use it any more, and many
think that it means "mono". "Is that recording High-Fidelity or Stereo?"

About "...closeness to the original signal". Yes, I don't know in most
cases how original performance sounded live. However, I believe that
it is a duty of recording engineer and mastering engineer after him to
provide a recording that is as close as possible to original live
sound. And if it is the case then I trust their judgment and prefer
equipment that provide Hi-Fi in a sense of "...closeness to the
original signal recorded on the media.". Did I make myself clear?

Not really. Ultimately, your system reflects your idea of what music should
sound like. Whether or not it does sound like that is fairly unimportant.
What is important is that one try to make their system as neutral as
possible. You do that by buying speakers that are fairly flat, and well
extended at both ends. If the speakers present a reasonable facsimile of what
real music sounds like to YOUR aural memory, that's about as much as you can
hope for. Whether or not I (or anyone else) like your version of reality is
irrelevant.

vlad

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH [email protected] mcdonaldREMOVE TO ACTUALLY REACH ME@scs.uiuc.edu is offline

Rob Tweed wrote:

The "problem" with digital is that once you have the signal digitised,
the reading of that signal is always going to be perfect - you can't
do anything to improve it. So it's a technically solvable problem
which can no longer be tinkered with to improve.

Well, sort of. OF COURSE it can be tinkered with, I myself do
extensive tinkering. First, you can play with the frequency response.
One of the "euphonic colorations" of some phono cartridges is
unflat frequency response. That can easily be faked, digitally.
You can also play with the dynamic range of a recording, if you wish.
You can decrease or increase it. In fact, I (not, admittedly, you, unless
you ask me for a copy of my program) can volume compress it in a far
better manner that the usual commercial process. And, in fact,
for my iPod I do just that, since I wear it while walking outdoors
in somewhat noisy areas.

Doug McDonald

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 05:40:52 -0800, Rob Tweed wrote
(in article ):

[...]

After all of this falderol lately about CD vs Vinyl, I pulled out a bunch of
my favorite LPs and played them over the weekend (Michell Gyrodec SE with the
Orb Platter, Audioquest PT-8 arm - damped, Sumiko Blackbird, AR SP-11). I had
forgotten (haven't played a record in about three years) how much shear sonic
pleasure the best of them give! Much more satisfying than CD, I'm afraid.
Can't explain it, but I LIKE what I'm hearing!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Rob Tweed" wrote in message

The "problem" with digital is that once you have the
signal digitised, the reading of that signal is always
going to be perfect - you can't do anything to improve
it.

Of course you can *improve* sound that has been digitized, in the same sense
that anolog sound has been *improved* for years. Just put some standard
signal processors into the signal path.

*All* of the things that has been done to the LP format for past several
decades havn't improved it technically. At best those changes have only
changed how the LP sounded. In many cases not even that has happened.

So it's a technically solvable problem which can no
longer be tinkered with to improve. My commodity DVD
drive in my laptop, or the drive in a 30 pound player
from my local supermarket can read that digital stream
from a CD perfectly.

Well, close enough to fool the ear, in many cases.

So what's the fun in that?

But, that's not the only way to have fun. I really believe that if more
audiophiles obtained effective equalizers and learned how to use them
properly, there would be more happy campers.

And of
course, from the expensive, high profit-margin hi-fi
manufacturer's point of view, where's the market in that?

In fact most the high-profit-margin high end vinyl playback equipment
manufacturers have been at best playing with the FR curve of their products.
In many cases they have been selling placebos.

Therein, I believe, lies one of the key reasons for the
mythology of "analog sound" or "vinyl sound". Its
reproduction can never be perfect but can always be
improved.

Well, in all of the cases swhere there actually was a significant change in
the sound some new pieces of vinyl equipment, it was almost certainly
obtained by making small changes in its frequency response.

Nothing magic about that, nothing that people can't do for themselves at
home.