Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Adam Stouffer Adam Stouffer is offline

Default Looking to buy a Carver amp

I'm in the market for used Carver amp but have some questions about the
various models. A lot of rackmount amps are on ebay, are they primarily
used for DJ work? They don't have volume controls or switchable inputs.
What is the general opinion about the older amps from the 70s or 80s?
Are they worth buying today?

Adam
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Walt Walt is offline

Adam Stouffer wrote:

I'm in the market for used Carver amp but have some questions about the
various models. A lot of rackmount amps are on ebay, are they primarily
used for DJ work? They don't have volume controls or switchable inputs.

These sound like "pro" models intended for sound re-enforcement,
theatre, Discos, etc. It's just an amplification stage, so only one
input per channel, and sometimes fixed gain. For home use, you'd want
to add a preamp (input switching, tone control, balance control, etc.)

Be aware that these amps are probably looking for a +4 dbu signal rather
than the -10dbV that home stereo equipment provides, which may mean that
you don't have enough gain to drive them. Also likely is the presence
of a loud obnoxious cooling fan. Not something you want in your living
room.

What is the general opinion about the older amps from the 70s or 80s?

If you refurbish them (i.e. replace all the caps etc.) they'll probably
be fine, but why bother when you can buy new stuff for the same price as
it costs to rehab the old? If you like playing with antiques, go for it.

Are they worth buying today?

The main advantage of Carver gear is that it's lightweight compared to
other similar gear. If you're schlepping it around a lot, that may be a
good thing. If you're just setting it in your living room, probably not.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Adam Stouffer Adam Stouffer is offline

Walt wrote:

Thanks for the info. I would be using the amp for home listening so all
that pro gear is out. You may have swayed my opinion on Carver a bit.
The NAD 2100 series of amps look like good bargains.

Adam

Carver HR 895 [email protected] Audio Opinions 3 March 17th 07 08:13 AM
FA:Carver TFM-25 larks Pro Audio 0 October 18th 04 02:30 PM
Carver HR-895 blah Pro Audio 2 September 16th 04 01:57 AM
Carver HR-895 blah Pro Audio 0 September 16th 04 12:39 AM
Carver M-1.5t Roy Tech 8 October 17th 03 12:48 PM