Cathryn Mataga

Default Subwoofer power to go with 100 watts/channel

I have a 5 channel amp with 100 watts per channel. If I add a powered
subwoofer how much power should I have on the subwoofer? Should the
subwoofer be 100 watts also to match the power for the individual
speakers? Or do I need more power in the subwoofer, than for the
other speakers?
ReEfErMaDnEsS

the amount of power vs. the other components is really irrelevant. The 5
channel amp is likely not a true 100 watts anyway. You should look into a
sub that is within your budget and sounds good to you. I would recommend
the following.

http://www.audioreview.com/Subwoofer...1_2741crx.aspx

I bought one myself online and did the mods....it BLOWS away anything sold
at best buy or circuit city. I know this because after trying them all I
stumbled across the SW-15 reviews and mods online. Total cost of mine was
$154 shipped and modified. It makes the Polk at CC sound like a 6" and the
JBL can hold it's jock. By far the best bang for the buck you will EVER
find. I would highly recommend the changing of the internal speaker wire to
at least 10 gauge...I blew a fuse or two before finding a web page
mentioning it and it has not happened since. plus the service from
audiosource is second to none....

"Cathryn Mataga" wrote in message
om...
I have a 5 channel amp with 100 watts per channel. If I add a powered
subwoofer how much power should I have on the subwoofer? Should the
subwoofer be 100 watts also to match the power for the individual
speakers? Or do I need more power in the subwoofer, than for the
other speakers?

Kalman Rubinson

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:35:09 GMT, "ReEfErMaDnEsS"
wrote:

I know this because after trying them all .....

All? Amazing (and doubtful).

Kal

Cathryn Mataga

"ReEfErMaDnEsS" wrote in message news:xI80c.417108$I06.4629854@attbi_s01...
the amount of power vs. the other components is really irrelevant. The 5
channel amp is likely not a true 100 watts anyway. You should look into a
sub that is within your budget and sounds good to you. I would recommend
the following.

Thanks for the reply. Okay, so it's not a 'this goes with that'
thing, then I guess. Maybe the trick is just go in and buy something,
not too expensive that sorta' sounds okay. I'm not too worried about
it really.
ReEfErMaDnEsS

why? I mean they each only really carry 3, and I think they both do the JBL
version, so that makes 5 subs to audition in my home for about two weeks
each, take them back and exchange for something else, if they don't perform
you don't buy. It's really not all that hard. In fact it's actually a very
good idea, they give you 30 days no questions for refund or exchange, keep
your receipt and repack properly, they can't say boo diddly.

Thanks for caring anyway

wrote:

I know this because after trying them all .....

All? Amazing (and doubtful).

Kal

ReEfErMaDnEsS

look at it this way, at CC or BB you'll pay well over $350-400 for something
that sounds okay, or may less that 200 for something that excels at home
theater sub delivery. the extra $200 makes quite a nice DVD collection.

"Cathryn Mataga" wrote in message
om...
"ReEfErMaDnEsS" wrote in message

the amount of power vs. the other components is really irrelevant. The

5
channel amp is likely not a true 100 watts anyway. You should look into

sub that is within your budget and sounds good to you. I would

recommend
the following.

Thanks for the reply. Okay, so it's not a 'this goes with that'
thing, then I guess. Maybe the trick is just go in and buy something,
not too expensive that sorta' sounds okay. I'm not too worried about
it really.

Kalman Rubinson

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:08:50 GMT, "ReEfErMaDnEsS"
wrote:

why? I mean they each only really carry 3, and I think they both do the JBL
version, so that makes 5 subs to audition in my home for about two weeks
each, take them back and exchange for something else, if they don't perform
you don't buy. It's really not all that hard. In fact it's actually a very
good idea, they give you 30 days no questions for refund or exchange, keep
your receipt and repack properly, they can't say boo diddly.

Thanks for caring anyway

Who is "they?" Were you restricting this survey to one vendor? If
so, I must have missed that. If there are only 5 under consideration,
I withdraw my comment.

Kal

.. .