Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] BeneficialMusic@gmail.com is offline

Default aligning biasing for 406 vs 456 tape

I just purchased a sony jh110c 2 track 1/4" machine and I want to be
able to track to ampex 406 tape to get some good tape compression
going, but then later master my tracks onto 456... 15ips for both. I've
read the bias point is pretty similar on these two types of tape. Any
suggestions on alignment, biasing, etc. Looking at which MRL tape to
buy as well. Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I just purchased a sony jh110c 2 track 1/4" machine and I want to be
able to track to ampex 406 tape to get some good tape compression
going, but then later master my tracks onto 456... 15ips for both. I've
read the bias point is pretty similar on these two types of tape. Any
suggestions on alignment, biasing, etc. Looking at which MRL tape to
buy as well. Thanks

Do the playback alignment the way the manual says. With either 406
or 456, do the record azimuth and levels according to the manual but bias
them using the modern 10 KC overbias method not the old 1 KC method in
the manual. Use the overbias recommended by the tape manufacturer,
which is 3 dB for the stock MCI heads.

Just get the regular 21J205 tape, unless you have CCIR emphasis or
something else wacky about your machine. That is a 250 nW/m tape,
and I would suggest you first align the operating level for 0 dB
with respect to that tape. If you decide you want higher or lower
levels later, set it up that way. I personally run 406 about 3 dB
lower than that, but then I like having plenty of headroom.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] BeneficialMusic@gmail.com is offline

Scott, thanks for the help. Only thing different about this machine is
the timecode track, but I'm not sure that will make much of a
difference.

Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Scott, thanks for the help. Only thing different about this machine is
the timecode track, but I'm not sure that will make much of a
difference.

It doesn't. Ignore it.