Leonid Makarovsky

Default How to reset a counter on my turntable?

I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

Thanks.

--Leonid

Evangelos Himonides

C'mon man, be honest with it, explain to the potential buyer the
situation and that you've changed the belt and motor and it will be
surely appreciated.
Just a thought...

Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure there is one less
rascal in the world.
-- Thomas Carlyle

good luck, in any case,

Evangelos

%
Evangelos Himonides
IoE, University of London
tel: +44 2076126599
fax: +44 2076126741
"Allas to those who never sing but die with all their music in them..."

Oliver Wendell Holmes

%

Joe Sensor

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:

I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

Thanks.

Why are you selling it?
Ben Bradley

On 1 Apr 2005 17:55:44 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky
wrote:

I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the

Is this common? I've never heard of a turntable with a counter on
it. A purist might worry that the counter mechanism puts a variable
amount of drag on the platter, varying the speed. But on to the main
point...

main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

How about writing a note to put inside the turntable, "Belt
replaced at counter reading 1984678.5" and the date, perhaps even your
name - next time someone opens it up, they'll have a good idea how
much wear the belt has had.

I agree with this:

C'mon man, be honest with it, explain to the potential buyer the
situation and that you've changed the belt and motor and it will be
surely appreciated.
Just a thought...

Here's another thought, you've just posted to Usenet (archived at
groups.google.com and other places) that you're wanting to sell a
Pro-ject 1.2. turntable, and asking how to reset the counter on it. If
a potential buyer decides to look up Usenet posts mentioning this
model, they'll find your recent post.

Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure there is one less
rascal in the world.
-- Thomas Carlyle

good luck, in any case,

Evangelos

Thanks.

--Leonid

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Leonid Makarovsky

Joe Sensor wrote:
: Why are you selling it?

That's a rather private question, isn't it?

--Leonid

Scott Dorsey

wrote:

I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the

Is this common? I've never heard of a turntable with a counter on
it. A purist might worry that the counter mechanism puts a variable
amount of drag on the platter, varying the speed. But on to the main
point...

main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

How about writing a note to put inside the turntable, "Belt
replaced at counter reading 1984678.5" and the date, perhaps even your
name - next time someone opens it up, they'll have a good idea how
much wear the belt has had.

It's a running time meter, so you know when to do preventative maintenance
on the thing. Like most running time meters, it cannot be reset easily
if at all, and it probably has some mechanical stuff inside to specifically
defeat people trying to change it.

You don't reset running time meters any more than you reset the odometer
on your car. What you DO is to keep a maintenance log on the equipment,
showing every time you lubricated it, changed a belt, or replaced anything,
and the number of running hours when it was done. And when you sell it,
you can show the log as evidence that you have treated it well and that it
was recently overhauled. Just like you do with your car. You _do_ do that
with your car, right?
--scott
(428,762 miles on the 1985 Chrysler Laser)
SSJVCmag

On 4/1/05 12:55 PM, in article , "Leonid
Makarovsky" wrote:

I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

Thanks.

--Leonid

I'm fairly sure this isn;t possible. Much like Ovation's fiberglas guitars
being a result of their original work in composite helocopter blades, the
Pro-Ject series were unfortunately OEM'd thru TyCamCo, a now-defunct US
military contractor. These used surplused gyro-control-system rotation
monitors that were never intended to be reset lest UN nuke inspectors cried
foul about resellers setting them back to look better for third world market
buyers looking for a deal. Best I can offer is that you just tell
prospective e-buyers about the uranium alloy bearing rings on these things
are, according to the USAEC papers, good for at least 3.1415927 x 10-17
rotations as a -halflife- figure. That should give it plenty of time.
Hope this helps

Leonid Makarovsky

Ben Bradley wrote:
: Is this common? I've never heard of a turntable with a counter on
: it.

Yes, it's common. It's called spinometer i.e. it measures the number of spins
occured in turntable while it is in use. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.

--Leonid
Leonid Makarovsky

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:
: I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
: sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
: main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
: bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
: value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

Come on guys. A record player counter that measures the number of spins occured
on all the record played? Spinometer? I, honestly, didn't expect anyone to
fall for it. But anyway, time to check your calendars. Happy April Fool's.
Till next year.

--Leonid

Scott Dorsey

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:
Leonid Makarovsky wrote:
: I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
: sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
: main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
: bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
: value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

Come on guys. A record player counter that measures the number of spins occured
on all the record played? Spinometer? I, honestly, didn't expect anyone to
fall for it. But anyway, time to check your calendars. Happy April Fool's.

Hey, mine has an elapsed hour indicator. I think the tape machine does as
well.

Sure wish the power amp did.

Bob Stephens

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Leonid Makarovsky wrote:

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:
: I was just wondering how to reset the counter on my turntable before I
: sell it. The turntable is Pro-ject 1.2. I replaced the belt and the
: main engine there, but the counter wouldn't reset. And this fact
: bothers me 'cause I'm not able to sell the turn table for the high
: value. My counter still shows 1984678.5 spins.

You know, at 33 RPM, 1984678.5 spins is only about a thousand hours - a
fairly new box.

Would you consider taking a time machine in fair condition in trade?

The only catch is that you have to pick it up - in 1984.

Bob
Richard Crowley

"Leonid Makarovsky" wrote ...
Come on guys. A record player counter that measures the number
of spins occured on all the record played? Spinometer? I, honestly,
didn't expect anyone to fall for it. But anyway, time to check your
calendars. Happy April Fool's. Till next year.

Do you really think it is a joke? I wouldn't bet more than $5 against
the possibility that something like this already exists out there in the
fringe-lunatic DJ world. :-)

Thats the problem with April Fools jokes in modern times. There is
not much bizzare that you can imagine that some wacko hasn't already
tried to do in real life. There are even TV shows about it.

I was going to suggest you could do the same thing that people
do who sell vehicles: "Transmission replaced at 85,600 miles"

By a cruel twist of fate, April 1 is not only my birthday, and also
the birthday of my cow-orker in the cubicle next-door.

Leonid Makarovsky

Scott Dorsey wrote:
: Hey, mine has an elapsed hour indicator.

The turntable? Maybe, but not the spin counter.

After heaving read some of the responses I slowly started to be in doubt that
such thing indeed might exist.

: I think the tape machine does as well.

Yeah, but there's a reset button.

--Leonid
Leonid Makarovsky

Richard Crowley wrote:
: Do you really think it is a joke? I wouldn't bet more than $5 against
: the possibility that something like this already exists out there in the
: fringe-lunatic DJ world. :-)

I have my doubts, but I can bet more than $5 that turntable "spinometers" do
NOT exist.

: Thats the problem with April Fools jokes in modern times. There is
: not much bizzare that you can imagine that some wacko hasn't already
: tried to do in real life. There are even TV shows about it.

I agree.

: By a cruel twist of fate, April 1 is not only my birthday, and also
: the birthday of my cow-orker in the cubicle next-door.

My friend also has a b-day on this day. So it's 3 of you.

--Leonid

Leonid Makarovsky

Richard Crowley wrote:
: By a cruel twist of fate, April 1 is not only my birthday, and also
: the birthday of my cow-orker in the cubicle next-door.

PS. Happy birthday.
Scott Dorsey

Bob Stephens wrote:

Would you consider taking a time machine in fair condition in trade?

The only catch is that you have to pick it up - in 1984.

"The Cyber (CDC Cyber 170) is like a time machine that only goes backwards."
-- gus baird

Chris Hornbeck

On 1 Apr 2005 22:31:50 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky
wrote:

Come on guys. A record player counter that measures the number of spins occured
on all the record played? Spinometer? I, honestly, didn't expect anyone to
fall for it. But anyway, time to check your calendars. Happy April Fool's.
Till next year.

Very, very cool. Got me; thanks,

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42
playon

On 1 Apr 2005 20:08:20 GMT, Leonid Makarovsky
wrote:

Joe Sensor wrote:
: Why are you selling it?

That's a rather private question, isn't it?

Why? That's a question I ask just about every seller of just about
anything I am buying second-hand. If they don't want to answer, or
the answer smells bad I usually take a pass.

Al
Joe Sensor

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:

Joe Sensor wrote:
: Why are you selling it?

That's a rather private question, isn't it?

--Leonid

EXCUSE me? How would that be a private question?

As it turns out, my turntable just crapped out on me and I am actually
in the market.

I see now that the counter thing was a joke, it did have me wondering if
there could be such a thing. You got me there.

Is the sale of your turntable a joke, too?

In fact, are YOU a joke, too?

Leonid Makarovsky

Joe Sensor wrote:
: EXCUSE me? How would that be a private question?
: Is the sale of your turntable a joke, too?
: In fact, are YOU a joke, too?

Well, figure it out. You have it till tomorrow.

: As it turns out, my turntable just crapped out on me and I am actually
: in the market.

If you live in US, Tweeter Etc used to have Pro-ject 1.2. It fully manual. No
automatic. Cost is $300. They also used to have $700 value turntable. Depends
what you want. I don't know whether they still have it or not.

And yeah, the spinometer on both are mechanical

--Leonid
Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:03:12 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

Thats the problem with April Fools jokes in modern times. There is
not much bizzare that you can imagine that some wacko hasn't already
tried to do in real life.

Did anyone catch the NPR joke this year? I thought I heard the
whole broadcast, but must have missed it. Or, alternatively,
the world is so strange now that I can't tell anymore.

About equally likely,

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42
Paul Stamler

wrote:

Thats the problem with April Fools jokes in modern times. There is
not much bizzare that you can imagine that some wacko hasn't already
tried to do in real life.

Did anyone catch the NPR joke this year? I thought I heard the
whole broadcast, but must have missed it. Or, alternatively,
the world is so strange now that I can't tell anymore.

No, there wasn't any joke (budget cuts, I'm told), but there were some
fabulous old field recordings of exploding maple trees in Vermont, and an
interesting actuality from Danish Samoa on how old maple furniture is boiled
for 40 days to generate "table syrup", which is looking to displace real
maple syrup from the market.

Peace,
Paul

Chris Hornbeck

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 07:32:22 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
wrote:

No, there wasn't any joke (budget cuts, I'm told), but there were some
fabulous old field recordings of exploding maple trees in Vermont, and an
interesting actuality from Danish Samoa on how old maple furniture is boiled
for 40 days to generate "table syrup", which is looking to displace real
maple syrup from the market.

Shoot; I flat missed it. Blasted day job. Grumble, mumble.

Thanks,

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42
Jim Gregory

Nice one, but it looked sly to me!
Some big Studer and Leevers-Rich pro tape recorders had an Hours meter
connected *with no reset* to capstan motor.
Wish cars had a reminder to change the Cam Timing Belt at 70,000 miles. When
that ruptures, it's bad news.