Barry Mann

Default Connecting both channels of an amp

The reason for dual voice coil speakers is to give added flexibility
on the loads of the amp..letting one adjust let's say from 4 ohms to 2
ohms..and the same for dual 8 ohms coils you can switch from 8 to
4....but as for connecting each voice coil separatly...I'm not
sure...i know it's an absolute no-no in stereo configuration where
each channel is getting diffrent signal..that is obviuos..

The first few posts are missing from my news feed, however, I must
correct the above.

While one could use the multiple coils for impedance matching, the most
compelling reason for two coils is to accept a stereo feed from the
amplifiers when you have only enough room for one speaker. For example,
in many small bathrooms there just isn't any space or budget for a
second speaker.

The two channel speaker allows one to use the same stereo amplifier
feed to operate stereo and mono rooms without going to a lot of fuss.
The most optomistic outcome of connecting two amplifier outputs in
parallel at a speaker is a mono result. Typically, the amplifier is
destroyed. If the amplifier somehow survived, all of the rooms would be
converted to mono.

If one wants to fuss about the last 0.00x percent of performance, the
dual voice coil approach is probably not the thing to do, but in
multi-room or subwoofer duty, it usually doesn't matter.

----

If you are using the dual voice coil speaker as a subwoofer, the line
level subwoofer output from an A/V receiver is usually mono, even if
there are two subwoofer output jacks. In this case, connecting both
coils will increase the output a bit. If you accidently connect the
voice coils out of phase, there will be very little or no output from
the speaker. (assuming the output from the amplifiers is identical)

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

conrad

"MZ" wrote in message ...
Wiring the two channels in true stereo configuration where the
material in one channel differs from the material from the other
channel..could destroy your subwoofer...

Care to explain how?

If a speaker receives two diffrent signals on it two coils..which way
will the woofer move..to which sound..first....

MZ

Wiring the two channels in true stereo configuration where the
material in one channel differs from the material from the other
channel..could destroy your subwoofer...

Care to explain how?

If a speaker receives two diffrent signals on it two coils..which way
will the woofer move..to which sound..first....

The woofer will move in the direction that the magnetic interaction
specifies. The magnetic forces exerted by the coils are non-separable.
Since each coil sets up a magnetic field, the fields for the two will
basically sum, and the result is essentially the vector sum of the magnetic
forces. This resultant force will be applied to both coils. So I'm not
quite sure how your argument translates into blown speakers.

Barry Mann

In , on 04/21/04
at 09:22 PM, (conrad) said:

"MZ" wrote in message
... Wiring the two
channels in true stereo configuration where the material in one
channel differs from the material from the other channel..could
destroy your subwoofer...

Care to explain how?

If a speaker receives two diffrent signals on it two coils..which way
will the woofer move..to which sound..first....

The forces developed by 2, 3, or 100 coils will add and the cone will
follow the sum. You could make a mild case that, if an individual coil
was driven differently than the others, there would be a tendency for
the coil form (all of the coils would be attached to a single form) to
be torn apart, but the forces involved are not high enough to hurt the
form.

Actually, there is a similar issue with the air. Ultimately, sound is
movement of air. We have an orchestra, an audience, airconditioning,
traffic, subways, airplanes, etc. all trying to pull air molecules this
way and that, but a given air molecule can only be at one place at a
given time.

At the micro level you can show that there is some interaction between
all the simultaneous signals in both the speaker and in air, but it is
more difficult to prove the significance of all this when our
perception processes the result.

spam:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

MZ

If a speaker receives two diffrent signals on it two coils..which way
will the woofer move..to which sound..first....

The forces developed by 2, 3, or 100 coils will add and the cone will
follow the sum. You could make a mild case that, if an individual coil
was driven differently than the others, there would be a tendency for
the coil form (all of the coils would be attached to a single form) to
be torn apart, but the forces involved are not high enough to hurt the
form.

I'm not so sure this is accurate. If the two coils are setting up magnetic
fields, they will be influencing each other's magnetic flux. To a good
approximation, this would result in the same flux for each coil, and as such
they should both exert nearly the same force. This is especially true if
the coils are overlapping.