Doc

Default Anyone tried making this PAiA stereo mic?

Curious if anyone has tried making this mic and found it to actually
be a useful tool.

http://www.paia.com/msmic.htm

Impressions...opinions?
Bob Cain

Doc wrote:

Curious if anyone has tried making this mic and found it to actually
be a useful tool.

http://www.paia.com/msmic.htm

Impressions...opinions?

Yes. I've built this and it works extremely well. Mine
came with Panasonic WM55A capsules. There are larger,
quieter cardiod capsules but obtaining them can be difficult.

Do not get the case, however, or at least ignore puting the
capsules in it. What I did that worked very well was to
mount two WM55A on top of each other, facing in opposite
directions to the sides, used a third one facing forward and
aligned on the point where they join. I made a capsule
holder using O-rings and mounted it on a cheap Samson
dynamic that I gutted. I use the ball when not in use to
protect it.

Pictures at:

http://www.arcanemethods.com/MS-Ball-Off.gif
http://www.arcanemethods.com/MS-Ball-On.gif

A shot of my experimental binaural mics is he

http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Since you have an interest in this kind of stuff you might
want to drop into the micbuilders Yahoo email group. Lotsa
interesting acitvity in the last month.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Ray Thomas

I built it several years ago and found it to sound much better than you'd
expect it to have a right to (at it's price and build quality level). Good
drum o/h and even as a stereo guitar mic. Low volt AC powering is
problematic, best to go for 2 x 9v cells strapped on the side. Gives a line
level out which is handy, but don't push it too far on quiet sources
(self-noise..) Quick to build too. The alternate body housing pictured in
this thread looks like a good idea....but I just deadened the steel shell of
my original with lots of gaffa tape !
Ray
-------------
"Doc" wrote in message
m...
Curious if anyone has tried making this mic and found it to actually
be a useful tool.

http://www.paia.com/msmic.htm

Impressions...opinions?

ScotFraser

http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Brilliant. I've always been a fan of stealthy methods of recording.

Scott Fraser
hank alrich

ScotFraser wrote:

http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Brilliant. I've always been a fan of stealthy methods of recording.

It just occurred to me that this could be what the guy looking for 5.1
surround heaphones is after.

--
ha

Kurt Riemann

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:59:42 -0800, Bob Cain
wrote:

Doc wrote:

A shot of my experimental binaural mics is he

http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Jesus! That thing would cut actual grooves into your brain.

Kurt Riemann

hank alrich

Doc wrote:

A shot of my experimental binaural mics is he

http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Jesus! That thing would cut actual grooves into your brain.

That's the whole idea; the grooves go into your brain instead of onto
the platter, and the cartridge to preamp interface is eliminated.

--
ha
Bob Cain

Kurt Riemann wrote:

A shot of my experimental binaural mics is he

http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Jesus! That thing would cut actual grooves into your brain.

With incipient Alzhiemer's, that was my intent. :-)

Anybody care to guess what that thing was really intended
for and what time period?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Harvey Gerst

Bob Cain wrote:

Kurt Riemann wrote:

A shot of my experimental binaural mics is he
http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Jesus! That thing would cut actual grooves into your brain.

With incipient Alzhiemer's, that was my intent. :-)

Anybody care to guess what that thing was really intended
for and what time period?

Early to mid 40's? Detecting approaching enemy planes?

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
Michael R. Kesti

Bob Cain wrote:

Kurt Riemann wrote:

A shot of my experimental binaural mics is he

http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Jesus! That thing would cut actual grooves into your brain.

With incipient Alzhiemer's, that was my intent. :-)

Anybody care to guess what that thing was really intended
for and what time period?

How do you think NFL Films records those players talking in the huddle?

;-)

| two, one and one make one."
| - The Who, Bargain

Bob Cain

Harvey Gerst wrote:

Bob Cain wrote:

Kurt Riemann wrote:

A shot of my experimental binaural mics is he
http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Jesus! That thing would cut actual grooves into your brain.

With incipient Alzhiemer's, that was my intent. :-)

Anybody care to guess what that thing was really intended
for and what time period?

Early to mid 40's? Detecting approaching enemy planes?

Wow! I'm truly impressed. It was pre-radar and intended
for location and aiming above a cloud cover. I read that it
was very effective too.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
David Satz

Bob Cain wrote:

A shot of my experimental binaural mics is he

http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Bob, where did that wild picture actually come from? Or are you sticking
by your story regardless?

--best regards
Bob Cain

David Satz wrote:

Bob Cain wrote:

A shot of my experimental binaural mics is he

http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Bob, where did that wild picture actually come from? Or are you sticking
by your story regardless?

:-) I've had the pictures a few years and didn't save the
link, dammit. There was a story involved about the use and
effectiveness for cloud covered and nighttime aiming of aa
guns in WWII. Here's another shot of it:

http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp2.jpg

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain

David Satz wrote:

Bob Cain wrote:

A shot of my experimental binaural mics is he

http://www.arcanemethods.com/Waalsdorp1.jpg

Bob, where did that wild picture actually come from? Or are you sticking
by your story regardless?

Ah, Google found the reference.

http://www.tno.nl/instit/fel/museum/en/waalsdor.html

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Chris Hornbeck

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:58:50 -0700, Bob Cain
wrote:

:-) I've had the pictures a few years and didn't save the
link, dammit.

http://www.tno.nl/instit/fel/museum/en/waalsdor.html

TaaDaa!

Chris Hornbeck

ScotFraser

http://www.tno.nl/instit/fel/museum/en/waalsdor.html

Seems like a good way to accurately show where an aircraft had been when its
engine noise was produced, i.e. 10 or 20 seconds earlier. What do you suppose a
gust of wind would do for the operator?

Scott Fraser
Bob Cain

ScotFraser wrote:

http://www.tno.nl/instit/fel/museum/en/waalsdor.html

Seems like a good way to accurately show where an aircraft had been when its
engine noise was produced, i.e. 10 or 20 seconds earlier. What do you suppose a
gust of wind would do for the operator?

Did you notice what it's made of and how it is secured? :-)

Rereading that article I think I misremembered it. It
doesn't look like it was used for real time aiming but more
for tracking and recording the incoming direction of aircraft.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

"ScotFraser" wrote in message

http://www.tno.nl/instit/fel/museum/en/waalsdor.html

Seems like a good way to accurately show where an aircraft had been when

its
engine noise was produced, i.e. 10 or 20 seconds earlier.

Didn't you see how they implemented it? They took three separate
measuments, each a few seconds apart, and there was a separate operator who
estimated the path of the airplane based on those measurements, and THEN
they struck!!!. Ah yes, we COUNTED on guys like you during that time! Guys
who overlooked crucial things like that!!!

What do you suppose a gust of wind would do for the operator?

Give him a real bad headache? A bruised cervical vertebrae? A hernia?
--

Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock