Posted to rec.audio.pro
philicorda

Default Old style recording - British tape machines.

I'm putting together a simple rig for amusement and stress free
recording. I want something different from my studio day job and a bit
like the gear used to record some of the British 50s/60's live jazz/blues
records that I like. Many were recorded using consumer equipment, but
sound fine to me. So, I've decided to go for mono tape, and all valve
gear.

At the moment, I have a Vortexion 6 input mixer winging it's way from ebay
(theoretically 'broadcast quality', but we shall see...) and a Brenell Mk
5 recorder. Unfortunately, the papst motor and level meter in the Brenell
have died and will cost the same to replace as getting another whole tape
machine. It did sound pretty good when it worked though, and has Brenell
rather than Bogon heads. I've got a few reslo mics now too, some of which
even work properly.

Anyone know any other reasonably good and inexpensive recorders from that
era? I've seen a Ferrograph Mk 5 that looks nice. Or is it worth fixing
the Brenell? Or spending a few more quid on a Nagra? (Not valve, but I'll
survive.) I'd like to do full track mono rather than half track if
possible, but I don't think any consumer recorders were made with those
heads.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

philicorda wrote:

At the moment, I have a Vortexion 6 input mixer winging it's way from ebay
(theoretically 'broadcast quality', but we shall see...) and a Brenell Mk
5 recorder. Unfortunately, the papst motor and level meter in the Brenell
have died and will cost the same to replace as getting another whole tape
machine. It did sound pretty good when it worked though, and has Brenell
rather than Bogon heads. I've got a few reslo mics now too, some of which
even work properly.

Anyone know any other reasonably good and inexpensive recorders from that
era? I've seen a Ferrograph Mk 5 that looks nice.

Well, you know I think you're nuts, but it sounds like a fun project.
Frankly, I'd look for an Ampex 350 or 351. Unlike consumer machines,
they seem to never die or wear out, and replacement heads (not genuine
Ampex) are pretty easy to find. The only problem is that the
electronics for these models often gets separated from the transport
and sold for unconscionable amounts as "vintage Ampex tube preamps."
Perhaps a 354 makes more sense

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

philicorda wrote:

Anyone know any other reasonably good and inexpensive recorders from that
era? I've seen a Ferrograph Mk 5 that looks nice. Or is it worth fixing
the Brenell? Or spending a few more quid on a Nagra? (Not valve, but I'll
survive.) I'd like to do full track mono rather than half track if
possible, but I don't think any consumer recorders were made with those
heads.

If you want 1960s consumer gear, consider the Tandberg 62. It's a half-track
machine, stereo, 7.5 ips highest speed.

Full of 12AX7s. Line inputs go through the mike stage, just like a Mackie.
Single motor design. I could never get the flutter out of mine, but it was
one of the more highly regarded machines of that era.

Also, of course, the Ampex 601, which was almost as crappy, and showed up
in some home systems.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
philicorda

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:07:08 -0800, Mike Rivers wrote:

philicorda wrote:

[...]

That Ampex 350 looks like a hell of a machine. Definitely has the
right Kg per track ratio. Sadly they all appear to be
selling for a little out of my price range for toys at the moment, and
somewhat far from the U.K. Do the 354 decks go for less, or are they just
less often butchered?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

philicorda wrote:

That Ampex 350 looks like a hell of a machine. Definitely has the
right Kg per track ratio. Sadly they all appear to be
selling for a little out of my price range for toys at the moment, and
somewhat far from the U.K. Do the 354 decks go for less, or are they just
less often butchered?

The 350 was the standard machine for studio and broadcast use in the US
for many years. The 354 is the same transport, with some godawful electronics
that Ampex originally designed for the PR-10. I don't think the 354 was
ever available full-track, only 2-track.

I can't imagine the 354 electronics would sell for anything, since they
cannot be butchered by idiots to turn them into k00l mike pres. And
they are really a pain to work on... there is a lot of stuff crammed into
that little case. There is also a solid state electronics package for
the machine, sold as the AG-350.

But it might be a good start. Do note that the 350 transport is kind
of cantankerous. Less so than the earlier 300, but you will find yourself
constantly having to adjust azimuth.

Avoid the aftermarket Inovonics electronics for these machines.

There is also the Ampex 601, which was a much lower budget machine, but
one that turns up now and then. I hate them, after having had to keep
them running at radio stations, but you might have fun with one.

Note that these machines are not British, or even European, though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

philicorda wrote:

Do the 354 decks go for less, or are they just
less often butchered?

Both, but you don't see as many for sale as butchered 350s. Actually,
the best deals are on AG-440s which are excellent sounding machines but
the electronics are solid state so they don't attract the vintage toob
boobs. Keep your eyes open.

And don't get distracted by Scully decks. Think of the Scully 280 as
sort of the 1950s Jaguar of pro tape decks. Not bad when they work. g