Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Garthrr

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

In article , Jay -
atldigi writes:

The transfer function really does become linear with dither, at the
expense of a noise floor.

Ok, there's another important piece of the puzzle (at least for me).
So if I understand correctly, its a situation where what would seem to be ideal
on paper is problematic as far as implementation because of the side effects of
distortion and aliasing. So dither cures these problems at the expense of the
noise floor by somehow either correcting the quantization error or rendering it
harmless. So what would be stairstep errors in voltage are smoothed over by
dither and thus the resolution of the system in the higher levels becomes, for
all practical purposes, perfect. Is that an essentially correct
oversimplification?

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney