Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default dB skills

I recently had several 8-hour-plus flights and a sinus condition
afterwards.

After a week I noticed that my little under-pillow speaker (very quiet)
on which I listen to the BBC or similar if I can't sleep, was audible
in my left ear but when I rolled over on my right almost totally
inaudible at low and mid frequencies.

Experimenting over the next few days I decided that from 3kHz and lower
I had an approx 20dB loss.

I went to an audiologist, and being slightly embarrassed to make the
claim of 20dB (seemingly ridiculously high), I suggested that I might be
10dB down. Her testing revealed that I was in fact 25dB down at those
frequencies.

So not a bad initial estimate from me after all I thought !

Determined by the bone conduction part of the test, fortunately this
seems to be a temporary condition, relating to a blocked eustachian
tube. Lots of decongestant and eucalyptus oil fumes don't seem to have
cleared things yet, so semi-mono for a while yet I'm afraid....

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

I recently had several 8-hour-plus flights and a sinus condition
afterwards.

Sorry I can't offer any help with the on topic post, but if you're getting
chronic sinus infections I would highly recommend starting a daily routine
with a neti pot and salt solution.
Since I was a kid I would get 4 sinus infections a year. Once I started
using the neti pot regularly I've not gotten one.

This add has been brought to you by Kleenex tissue

(seriously geoff....it works!)

Poly

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] digitaltrousers@gmail.com is offline

I've been experiencing this over the last few years intermittently. I'm currently experimenting with a dairy-free diet, after reading about some studies with children whose doctors manage to avoid having to fit grommets, with such a diet. I've also had my ears cleaned with a syringe a couple of times, and that helped, but I assume your audiologist checked for whether that would help you.
Anyway, the dairy thing may be something worth investigating.
Cheers,
Dan.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 28/01/2019 10:21 PM, wrote:
I've been experiencing this over the last few years intermittently. I'm currently experimenting with a dairy-free diet, after reading about some studies with children whose doctors manage to avoid having to fit grommets, with such a diet. I've also had my ears cleaned with a syringe a couple of times, and that helped, but I assume your audiologist checked for whether that would help you.
Anyway, the dairy thing may be something worth investigating.
Cheers,
Dan.

I think I get eczema related to dairy, but just can't live without my
latte ! Could be the case with my occasional eustachian tube blockages.
But nobody has ever taken up on my hinting at the possibility of
grommets. Guess I really should get tested to allergies or sensitivities.

However for a general disparity of response between ears (RHS is a 'bit'
down over 4k or so) my audiologist suggested I get checked over by an
ENT, who put me in for a an MRI to see if anything obvious causing it.
Turns out I have an acoustic neuroma pressing on the auditory nerve,
which is a benign growth that could be dealt with several ways, none of
which would actually bring about an improvement. So they are giving me
another MRI in 12 months just to check it hasn't significantly changed.

And in our health-care system that Trump would probably class as
communist, this has cost me ..... nothing. Apart from the audiologist
which was a personal decision and not a medical necessity.

Cheers ;-/

geoff