Arny Krueger

Default Tone Controls, EQ's Etc.

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in
message
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote
in message

**Really? Please list the typical equipment used by
professionals to diagnose and adjust room/speaker
acoustic problems: ---

Probably, the most commonly used system would be SMAART
software, running on a laptop pc, using a variety of pro
audio mic preamps, audio interfaces, and measurement
microphones.

**Thank you. And I wonder what the list of equipment used
by a TYPICAL consumer would consist of?

The well-informed, better-heeled consumers can use systems
based on SMAART, ETF, Spectra Lab, and the better
loudspeaker system design suites of software (Liberty, Clio,
Sample Champion, Leap, etc.). People can get started with
RMA 5.5's acoustical measrement facility which reliably
tests both frequency response and nonlinear distortion. This
is freeware - just a tiny half-meg download.

Good test and analysis software can now easily cost more
than the hardware required to support it.

Berhinger's measurement mic is good, cheap, and readily
avialable. Good audio interfaces for computers are getting
to be cheap and readily available - even some of the better
on-board interfaces are good enough for basic audio
measurements. For example the SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit runs
about $30, has 0.1 dB frequency response 50-15 KHz, and just
about 90 dB dynamic range running through both its inputs
and outputs.

Some manfacturers of electronic crossovers and equalizers
have been building fairly test signal sources and credible
RTAs into their products for years. I've seen some very
expensive surround receivers that appear to be able to
semi-autonomously measure the acoustic environment in which
they work, and adapt to it.

A new higher end digital live sound console that was just
announced includes an SMAART analysis system.

Even an XBox has enough hardware to be the basis of a usable
acoustic measurement system. I don't know if anybody has
done to work required to exploit its power.

(As if I don't already know) Some morons even imagine the
Radio Shack
SPL meter is actually usable for this purpose.

The RS SPL meter has many deficiencies, but they are so
well-known that they can be worked around to the point where
it can be better than nothing.

At best, it merely allows VERY rough measurements and
reasonable
COMPARATIVE measurements. For absolutes, it is useless.

Agreed. You can tell someone who is serious about making
absolute acoustic measurements - they have a mic calibrator
that works with their mics, and use it periodically.

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in
message
rdnews.com

Trevor exhibits all the characteristics of a borg - more
concerned about technical specifications than the music.
An utter waste of protoplasm, Trevor's existence.

Trevor's little pinky finger probably has more useful audio
knowlege and practical experience than Morein's whole body.

Sad but true.

If you see Morein attacking somone's intelligence,
interpret that as a jealous rage.

Robert Morein

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in
message
rdnews.com

Trevor exhibits all the characteristics of a borg - more
concerned about technical specifications than the music.
An utter waste of protoplasm, Trevor's existence.

Trevor's little pinky finger probably has more useful audio
knowlege and practical experience than Morein's whole body.

Sad but true.

If you see Morein attacking somone's intelligence,
interpret that as a jealous rage.

Arny, the post is a forgery by McCarty.
Now let's see if you play clean or dirty. McCarty will undoubtedly keep
doing this. I post from Giganews.

Check the headers.

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote
in message
rdnews.com

Trevor exhibits all the characteristics of a borg - more
concerned about technical specifications than the music.
An utter waste of protoplasm, Trevor's existence.

Trevor's little pinky finger probably has more useful
audio knowlege and practical experience than Morein's
whole body.

Sad but true.

If you see Morein attacking somone's intelligence,
interpret that as a jealous rage.

Arny, the post is a forgery by McCarty.

It's still 100% true.

dave weil

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:56:52 GMT, dizzy wrote:

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 08:02:52 GMT, (paul packer)
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:19:47 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

It is impossible for any average listener to make any
kind of improvement to an audio system with tone controls.

This is a pretty absurd statement.

It does seem a bit sweeping, Trevor. What about an old recording with
severe bass/treble imbalance? Could not tone controls make it more
listenable? What you're saying may be strictly true with regard to the
best new recordings, but in the real world tone controls can be
invaluable.

Yes. Someone else who "gets it". What really is ****ing me off is
this ridiculous notion in the high-end, that "tone controls are bad,
even when they can be switched-out", has resulted in there being
vitually zero selection of high-quality pre-amps that have this
feature.

Why on earth would this "**** you off"?

Really, people, the extra (tone defeat) switch will NOT hurt. And
yes, people, for the price of "high end" pre-amps, tone-controls
should be part of the standard feature set.

Why, when adding an EQ is always an option, and is probably 99% always
a better alternative? If we were talking about cheap gear forcing
tightwads to buy EQs that cost more than the item in question, you
might have a point. But for someone spending thousands on a preamp,
what's a few hundred more dollars for a "tone control situation"
that's probably a far better and more flexible solution? At least,
it's an option, not something imposed on the buyer.

I know NAD and Rotel have them, still, but they are limited to (IIRC)
+/- 5dB, which is not enough for some recordings. Why not give me +/-
10dB and let me decide if I only want to use 5 of it?

AFAIK, only McIntosh and Accuphase make preamps with proper tone
controls.

If that's the case, then why be forced to buy something that's not
"proper"?
dave weil

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:54:40 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

Complete nonsense, obviously. The vast majority of people like the
sound better when the inadequate bass on many recordings is boosted
some.

**I didn't realise we were discussing PREFERENCES. I thought we were
discussing high fidelity. The two are not necessarily compatible. The vast
majority of people lack the ability and equipment to make adjustments on any
kind of tone controls to achieve any levle of improvements in a high
fidelity system. They can only adjust a system to please themselves.

The only thing that matters IS preference in this case. If it sounds
better to the listener, then it IS better, specious data point claims
aside.

After all, how do you establish an ABSOLUTE standard of "high
fidelity" when individual listening abilities (read hearing curves)
and biases (read, "I like a lot of bass" or "My wife has very acute
hearing but I don't" sort of statements)?

Test gear might not "lie" but it might be totally irrelevant.
dave weil

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:08:43 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

What makes you think that the average listener has some magical abilities
which are lacking in professionals?

What makes you think that "professionals" can always predict what a
specific individual might value when listening to music?
Trevor Wilson

wrote:

What makes you think that the average listener has some magical abilities
which are lacking in professionals?

What makes you think that "professionals" can always predict what a
specific individual might value when listening to music?

**There are two dimensions to this question:

1) The professional who CREATES the music is an artist. The resulting music
is what the artist has determined to be the correct product. Any alteration
renders this artistry something other than what the artist created. For my
part, I have several nice pieces of original art hanging on the walls of my
home. I was fortunate to meet the artist of one of those pieces. Though I
like the work a great deal, I was puzzled by what appeared to be a jarring
discontinuity in the piece. After asking the artist why he treated the piece
the way he did, it all made sense. I accept that artistic people think and
act in ways that are fundamentally different to the ways I think and act.
They add (literally) to the colour of my life. I would no sooner consider
altering an artist's idea of a piece, than I would living on the Moon.

2) The professional who assisted the artist (the recording engineer) mixes
that product according to his/her specific preferences, speaker choices,
room effects, etc.

Like it or not, #1 is correct. #2 is where serious problems can arise.
Allowing professionals to muck about with tone controls can lead to the same
disastrous results as when amateurs are allowed to use them. Some of the
best recordings are the same ones where tone controls (equalisers) have not
been used. Coincidence?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in
message
rdnews.com

Trevor exhibits all the characteristics of a borg - more
concerned about technical specifications than the music.
An utter waste of protoplasm, Trevor's existence.

Trevor's little pinky finger probably has more useful audio
knowlege and practical experience than Morein's whole body.

Sad but true.

If you see Morein attacking somone's intelligence,
interpret that as a jealous rage.

Arny, the post is a forgery by McCarty.
Now let's see if you play clean or dirty. McCarty will undoubtedly keep
doing this. I post from Giganews.

Check the headers.

The fact that it's a forgery has nothing to do with the accuracy of the
information.
I recall your insulting treatement of Dick Pierce when he disagreed with
you. You are a petty, small minded twit.

[...]

Trev has obviously remained unaware of the following:
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq_rscomp.htm
Maybe you already know how powerful a tool a simple Radio Shack Sound
Pressure Meter is. If you use some of the popular test disks out there to
check your room response there are some things you need to know about the
meter. Some of these disks, like the popular "Autosound 2000 Bass CD #101",
have sweeps or even chapter stops that show how even (or not) the response
of your system is down low, below 20Hz even.

The problem? The Radio Shack sound meter is not totally "linear" in its
accuracy down there. All such meters are off by the same amount depending on
the frequency however, which is good news! So that while its sensitivity
below 20Hz is not what it is at 50Hz, there is a simple way to compensate
for this deficiency. It's called a compensation chart. Using one is very
simple, and a pencil and paper is all you need.

Simply look to the below frequencies and add the required decibels (dBs) at
the frequency in question. So if your system seems to be measuring 70dBs
with a 20Hz tone, then really it's putting out 77.5dBs. This is a VERY
substantial difference, roughly TWICE the acoustical energy, requiring many
times the amplifier to achieve. You can see then how critical the below
chart is if you are using an equalizer to even out room response of your
bass. Maybe you are not bothered by any such variances, but if you are
desirous of getting the most from your system it's something well worth
investigating. Adding a simple equalizer like the ART 351 or the more
complex and powerful Rane PE17 allow you the flexibility to affect your
system response in the low bass regions easily.

NOTE: Using sine waves at high SPLs can easily damage any subwoofer given
their extreme stress on woofer voice coils. Use only a few seconds for any
given tone during measurements, allow a minute or so in between frequencies,
and keep actual SPL's low, in the 75-85dB range. Contact SVS if you have
questions about room response measurements or proper use of sine waves in
this process.

So find out what your subwoofer(s) are REALLY doing, and add the following
numbers as appropriate to your SPL meter readings:

At 10Hz add 20dBs to the meter's readings and at ...

12Hz add 16.5dB
16Hz add 11.5dB
20Hz add 7.5dB
25Hz add 5dB
31.5Hz add 3dB
40Hz add 2.5dB
50Hz add 1.5dB
63Hz add 1.5dB
80Hz add 1.5dB
100Hz add 2dB
125Hz add .5dB

Or this:

http://www.audioc.com/library1/testcd/testcd.htm
Using the ACI Subwoofer Test CD:
Instructions for Using the Test CD

Download Subwoofer Excel Worksheet

Download Subwoofer PDF Worksheet for those without Excel

* If asked for password just click cancel.*

Adjusting the ACI Subs Using the ACI Test CD
1.. By Ear: Use the test tones, (most people prefer the
sinewaves), to try to achieve the smoothest system response. Note, you will
find very different results by just moving your head. This is because of the
very strong effects that room modes have on low frequencies.
2.. Using the Radio Shack SPL meter and Excel
spreadsheet: This method is relatively easy, inexpensive, and quite
accurate. You must have Excel on your computer to be able to load and use
the spreadsheet. It can be rather time consuming compared to methods four or
five.
3.. Using the Radio Shack SPL meter and hand plotted
graphs: Very similar to #2 but you'll have to do a little math when hand
plotting.
4.. Using a test system such as ETF, CLIO or MLSSA: If
you have this type of equipment you can run the measurements quickly and
accurately. Usually the most expensive option. Most of these instruments are
extremely powerful and can have a relatively steep learning curve. Separate
measurement microphone and possibly microphone pre-amp will also be
required.
5.. Using a RTA (Real Time Analyzer): This is probably
the fastest method as you can see the results of your adjustments on-screen,
in real time. RTAs used to be quite expensive. Computers with soundcards
have drastically changed that! An excellent RTA can be found at:
www.trueaudio.com. Separate measurement microphone and possibly a microphone
pre-amp will also be required.
The Steps
1.. We provide both sine waves and warble tones. Many
people prefer sine waves for listening tests and warble tones for using the
SPL meter.
2.. Insert the test disc in your CD player. Position
the SPL meter at head height in the primary listening position. The meter
should be aimed toward the speakers. A camera tripod can be used as the SPL
meter has ¼ -20" threaded insert on the bottom.
3.. Set the SPL meter to "C" weighting, and response
to slow.
4.. Start with the system volume turned down. Play a
60Hz warble tone and adjust the subwoofer volume to read 70dB on the SPL
meter.
5.. Download the "Subwoofer One" MS Excel worksheet.
6.. Play the warble to tracks, read the measurements,
and record in the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet will make the calculations
and show you a graph.
7.. Using the graph, you can now use the controls on
your sub or experiment with placement to get the smoothest possible
response.
* If you don't have Excel, you can print the other PDF
Subwoofer Worksheet out and do manual calculations. Your steps will be the
same as above. However, for steps five and six you will need to manually
plot your graph. Be sure to add or subtract the required correction for the
meter.

Or this:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=26728

The Radio Shack meter is a wonderful unit. About a two and
a half
years ago, I did a calibration curve for the RS meter
using lab
equipment, with Eric Busch from DLC Design adding the low
bass down
to 10 Hz. This was published in PSACS Sound Bytes in two
issues.
These are the corrections that should be added to the
meter readout
in order to achieve the correct SPL. These corrections are
only
valid for the meter set to C weighting, using 1/3 octave
pink noise
(easily available from various CDs), with the mic pointed
at the
speaker.
Both my analog meters and my digital meter measured the
same in
October, 1996.These are corrections, they are to be added
to the
meter readout for the correct response in dB SPL.

10Hz +20.5
12.5Hz +16.5
16Hz +11.5
20Hz +7.5
25Hz +5
31.5Hz +3
40Hz +2.5
50Hz +1.5
63Hz +1.5
80Hz +1.5
100Hz +2

125Hz +0.5
160Hz -0.5
200Hz -0.5
250Hz +0.5
315Hz -0.5
400Hz 0
500Hz -0.5
630Hz 0
800Hz 0
1KHz 0

1.25Khz 0
1.6KHz -0.5
2Khz -1.5
2.5Khz -1.5
3.15Khz -1.5
4KHz -2
5KHz -2
6.3KHz -2
8KHz -2
10Khz -1

12.5KHz +0.5
16KHz 0
20KHz +1

To measure the in-room response of your speakers with the
SLM, find
a quiet and undistracted time, obtain a 1/3 octave pink
noise CD,
mic stand, and worksheet. With the speakers in their
normal
positions and using a mic stand for the SLM (I've had good
results
just holding the meter too, pink noise is forgiving),
place its
microphone where your ear would be at your favorite
position or
"sweet spot". Set the meter to "C" and "slow". Play the 1
Khz, 1/3
octave pink band and set the level on the amp or preamp,
and the
meter range, so the meter reads 80 dB at 0 dB on the
meter. Higher
levels might cause driver compression in the frequency
extremes,
rolling off the response. Now go back to the first ISO
center 1/3
octave band on your CD (25 Hz on mine) and record the
response:
3.5, or -1.0 , or -5.0, or whatever it is. Now step
through the
pink noise bands, recording the meter level each time.
This is the
raw data.
Keeping the meter in the same measuring position, using an
accurate
CD, having a quiet room, repeating the measurements for
accuracy,
understanding what you are measuring, fresh batteries, not
talking
while measuring, having your meter calibrated for overall
level
(relative level comparison is unaffected), and doing only
one
speaker at a time if possible to avoid comb filtering
(variations
of plus or minus 2 dB are possible) are all important
factors.
Sometimes if I have to measure two speakers at a time, I
move the
meter around in a figure eight pattern, slowly, and try to
obtain
an average reading, as the microphone moves in and out of
the
combing peaks and troughs. Best accuracy would be obtained
from
taking several measurements at different listening
positions, if
one has the time and patience.
Now take the raw data and make the corrections on the work
sheet,
entering the new values in the appropriate column. Time to
either
moan or marvel, since this is the actual in-room 1/3
octave pink
noise frequency response of your speaker/system at that
listening
position. Plotting the results on graph paper in different
colors
for left, right, center, etc. makes it look cool.

Yes, this way is tedious, but it is very inexpensive. And
very
accurate. For the third octave pink noise, I use Carver's
Amazing
Bytes CD, GRP Z-9907; other CD's with 1/3 octave pink
noise ISO
centers a

My Disc, Sheffield 10045-2-T
Sheffield/Coustic Test and Demonstration Disc, Sheffield
10040-2
Autosound 2000 CD #103, $18, 800-795-1830
IASCA Setup and Test CD

HI-FI News and Record Review "CD-II", $30 Japan Audio
Society Audio
Test CD-1, YDDS-2
--- these last two available from DB Systems,
603-899-6415.

For the others:
http://www.audioxpress.com/
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/main.html
http://www.parts-express.com/

Or this:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/studyhall...lm/slm_4.shtml

What, how, why, techniques and more

1 2 3 4 5

Relative vs absolute measurement
Absolute measurements are those made with calibrated SLM's
that provide actual sound pressure levels referenced to 20uPa (0dB-SPL).
Such absolute SPL measurements may be used with and accurately compared to
those provided by other calibrated and equal quality SLM's.

Conversely, measurements made with un-calibrated SLM's or
those with of low quality (including less then linear frequency response) do
not accurately indicate actual sound pressure levels. SLM's that have been
incorrectly user-calibrated or have simply lost their calibration over time
also do not provide accurate absolute SPL values.

Relative measurements are simply comparisons between sound
pressure levels and do not require absolute calibration nor other
"precision" performance characteristics such as a flat frequency response.
Non-calibrated and lower-quality SLM's do provide meaningful comparative
measurements as long as the same SLM is employed for these measurements and
the measurements are made in the same manner.

Example: A Radio Shack SLM, which is specified as
providing +/-2.0dB-SPL accuracy and which has a less-than linear frequency
response, is still able to provide realistic indication of the changes in
relative sound pressure levels even though it does not provide accurate
measurement of absolute sound pressure levels. Likewise, the SLM function
contained in Smaart may be used "as is" (without calibration) for accurate
relative SPL measurement.

One relevant and valid relative SPL measurement that can
be made in sound reinforcement work is determining the even-ness of coverage
provided by a loudspeaker system. In this case virtually any SLM is able to
indicate any deviations that may exist in the sound pressure levels as the
SLM is moved about the coverage area of the loudspeaker system.

In a similar manner we can observe changes in relative SPL
as the gain of a sound system is brought up and down and we can accurately
determine changes in SPL's as a noise source (machinery, for example) is
turned on and off.

Available SLM's
As stated previously, SPL measurements made with Class-2
and Class-3 SLM's provide sufficiently accurate (within +/- 1.0dB) readings
for what we require in sound reinforcement work. Until recently, SLM devices
that met this level of accuracy were prohibitively expensive ($1,200 and
up).

Most of the old classic SLM's are cumbersome to set up
and, due to their inherently fragile construction, are seldom used for
touring sound or on-site installation work. In part 2 of this article we
will provide information on several new low-cost SLM's that appear to meet
the basic needs that we use in live sound.

Without question the most common SLM's used by live sound
folks have been those made by Radio Shack. These appear to represent a very
good value, are easy to use and are readily available almost anywhere in
North America.

In researching for this article I have found that, along
with all of the sound system operators and contractors who own a Radio Shack
SLM (or two), there are large numbers of other users including university
physics/acoustics and biology departments, municipalities, Hi Fi
enthusiasts, home Hi Fi and theatre system installers and property
management companies.

And there are at least a few websites devoted to using the
Radio Shack SLM for tweaking HiFi, project studio and sound reinforcement
loudspeaker systems and for simple noise measurement.

Note to Trevor:

Bluster is no substitute for knowledge.

At best, it merely allows VERY rough measurements and
reasonable
COMPARATIVE measurements. For absolutes, it is useless.

Agreed. You can tell someone who is serious about making
absolute acoustic measurements - they have a mic calibrator
that works with their mics, and use it periodically.

Attached Images

dizzy

wrote:

It is impossible for any average listener to make any
kind of improvement to an audio system with tone controls.

This is a pretty absurd statement.

It does seem a bit sweeping, Trevor. What about an old recording with
severe bass/treble imbalance? Could not tone controls make it more
listenable? What you're saying may be strictly true with regard to the
best new recordings, but in the real world tone controls can be
invaluable.

Yes. Someone else who "gets it". What really is ****ing me off is
this ridiculous notion in the high-end, that "tone controls are bad,
even when they can be switched-out", has resulted in there being
vitually zero selection of high-quality pre-amps that have this
feature.

Why on earth would this "**** you off"?

Read my last post again, starting with "has resulted".

Really, people, the extra (tone defeat) switch will NOT hurt. And
yes, people, for the price of "high end" pre-amps, tone-controls
should be part of the standard feature set.

Why, when adding an EQ is always an option, and is probably 99% always
a better alternative?

I don't agree that EQ's are "better", for the adjustments that I'm
talking about - boosting the bass on bass-light recoerdings.

If we were talking about cheap gear forcing
tightwads to buy EQs that cost more than the item in question, you
might have a point. But for someone spending thousands on a preamp,
what's a few hundred more dollars for a "tone control situation"
that's probably a far better and more flexible solution? At least,
it's an option, not something imposed on the buyer.

Yes, it's an option. But what sense would it make to have a
multi-$thousand preamp with a "few $hundred" EQ? That's not very
balanced, now is it? Would not that "ruin" the sound?

Hell, if proper preamp with no tone controls costs over $1000, I'd
hate to guess what a "proper" EQ would cost...

I know NAD and Rotel have them, still, but they are limited to (IIRC)
+/- 5dB, which is not enough for some recordings. Why not give me +/-
10dB and let me decide if I only want to use 5 of it?

AFAIK, only McIntosh and Accuphase make preamps with proper tone
controls.

If that's the case, then why be forced to buy something that's not
"proper"?

I'd prefer more selection. Both those brands are extremely expensive,
for one thing...

dizzy

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:08:43 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

"dizzy" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:54:40 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

Analogue tone
controls are useless. High end listeners are well aware of this fact.

Anyone who thinks that is deluding themselves, just as many delude
themselves into buying expensive cables and $5,000 preamps that sound
no different from $1,000 preamps.

**Really? Please list the typical equipment used by professionals to
diagnose and adjust room/speaker acoustic problems:

Non sequitur.

**OK, I'll phrase it another way:

What makes you think that the average listener has some magical abilities
which are lacking in professionals?

To master a recording, you mean? Please be more precise.

Whatever they use does not render analogue tone
controls useless.

**Oh, yes it does. Without serious measurement equipment and the knowledge
to use that equipment, ALL tone controls are useless. Including high
performance digital equalisers. Regular analogue tone controls are just a
waste of time, money and space.

Absolute nonsense, obviously.

dizzy

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:12:39 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

My hunch as to why the high end companies launched a propaganda campaign
to convince people they should not be included, is that it saves them
money while allowing them to charge just as much as if they were included.

**Possibly. There are alternate explanations, however:

* Their inclusion affects sound quality negatively.

Then include a switch to short-out the tone controls.

The switch WILL NOT affect sound quality negatively.

dizzy

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 00:51:32 GMT, wrote:

My hunch as to why the high end companies launched a propaganda campaign to
convince people they should not be included, is that it saves them money
while allowing them to charge just as much as if they were included.

Yep, and the lack of the controls appeals to the audio snob, who
really wants a piece of hardware "different" from the mass-market.

wrote:

[...]

That depends on whether it's really light on bass or if you just haven't
optimized your setup with regards to speaker placement and or a subwoofer.

An EQ properly integrated is the best option along with room treatment will
give you the best possible sound you can get short of having a room built to
be sonically correct.

Check out the Alesis and Behringer units at places like zZsounds:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEDEQ230

[...]

dave weil

wrote:

It is impossible for any average listener to make any
kind of improvement to an audio system with tone controls.

This is a pretty absurd statement.

It does seem a bit sweeping, Trevor. What about an old recording with
severe bass/treble imbalance? Could not tone controls make it more
listenable? What you're saying may be strictly true with regard to the
best new recordings, but in the real world tone controls can be
invaluable.

Yes. Someone else who "gets it". What really is ****ing me off is
this ridiculous notion in the high-end, that "tone controls are bad,
even when they can be switched-out", has resulted in there being
vitually zero selection of high-quality pre-amps that have this
feature.

Why on earth would this "**** you off"?

Read my last post again, starting with "has resulted".

The question still stands.

Really, people, the extra (tone defeat) switch will NOT hurt. And
yes, people, for the price of "high end" pre-amps, tone-controls
should be part of the standard feature set.

Why, when adding an EQ is always an option, and is probably 99% always
a better alternative?

I don't agree that EQ's are "better", for the adjustments that I'm
talking about - boosting the bass on bass-light recoerdings.

Are you saying that tone controls would do a BETTER job than an EQ?
Personally, I tend to doubt it.

If we were talking about cheap gear forcing
tightwads to buy EQs that cost more than the item in question, you
might have a point. But for someone spending thousands on a preamp,
what's a few hundred more dollars for a "tone control situation"
that's probably a far better and more flexible solution? At least,
it's an option, not something imposed on the buyer.

Yes, it's an option. But what sense would it make to have a
multi-$thousand preamp with a "few $hundred" EQ? That's not very
balanced, now is it? Would not that "ruin" the sound?

Couldn't you say the same thing about a tone control circuit that
would cost a couple of bucks? And, once that couple of bucks worth of
circuitry is in the unit, can you change it?

Hell, if proper preamp with no tone controls costs over $1000, I'd
hate to guess what a "proper" EQ would cost...

Bad logic.

I know NAD and Rotel have them, still, but they are limited to (IIRC)
+/- 5dB, which is not enough for some recordings. Why not give me +/-
10dB and let me decide if I only want to use 5 of it?

AFAIK, only McIntosh and Accuphase make preamps with proper tone
controls.

If that's the case, then why be forced to buy something that's not
"proper"?

I'd prefer more selection. Both those brands are extremely expensive,
for one thing...

So, you'd prefer being stuck with a tone control that you can't change
over the flexibility of being able to choose between many different
options at many different price ranges.

Weird.

Just out of curiousity, are you even IN the market for such a preamp?

Trevor Wilson

"dizzy" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:08:43 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

. ..

**OK, I'll phrase it another way:

What makes you think that the average listener has some magical abilities
which are lacking in professionals?

To master a recording, you mean? Please be more precise.

**What makes you think that the average listener has magical abilities, to
adjust tone controls and equalisers, to remove problems, without the use of
calibrated equipment?

Whatever they use does not render analogue tone
controls useless.

**Oh, yes it does. Without serious measurement equipment and the knowledge
to use that equipment, ALL tone controls are useless. Including high
performance digital equalisers. Regular analogue tone controls are just a
waste of time, money and space.

Absolute nonsense, obviously.

**Oh really? What makes you think that a specific room problem can be
precisely corrected by any given tone control?

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Trevor Wilson

wrote:

[...]

**Test equipment is NEVER irrelevant to high fidelity.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

dizzy

wrote:

[...]

The answer still stands.

Really, people, the extra (tone defeat) switch will NOT hurt. And
yes, people, for the price of "high end" pre-amps, tone-controls
should be part of the standard feature set.

Why, when adding an EQ is always an option, and is probably 99% always
a better alternative?

I don't agree that EQ's are "better", for the adjustments that I'm
talking about - boosting the bass on bass-light recoerdings.

Are you saying that tone controls would do a BETTER job than an EQ?
Personally, I tend to doubt it.

A parametric EQ could do it as well, no doubt. I was thinking of the
far more common graphic EQ when I wrote the above. In any case,
thought, there's a cost/performance trade-off that heavily favors the
simple bass control, for what I'm talking about.

If we were talking about cheap gear forcing
tightwads to buy EQs that cost more than the item in question, you
might have a point. But for someone spending thousands on a preamp,
what's a few hundred more dollars for a "tone control situation"
that's probably a far better and more flexible solution? At least,
it's an option, not something imposed on the buyer.

Yes, it's an option. But what sense would it make to have a
multi-$thousand preamp with a "few $hundred" EQ? That's not very
balanced, now is it? Would not that "ruin" the sound?

Couldn't you say the same thing about a tone control circuit that
would cost a couple of bucks?

Only someone getting beat in the argument as badly as you are would
say that. You're the person who paired the "cheap" EQ with the
expensive preamp. I did not.

The tone controls that I propose would be of the same quality as the
rest of the preamp.

And, once that couple of bucks worth of
circuitry is in the unit, can you change it?

It would be more than a "couple bucks", and you'll have to clarify
your "change" question.

Hell, if proper preamp with no tone controls costs over $1000, I'd
hate to guess what a "proper" EQ would cost...

Bad logic.

Wrong again.

I know NAD and Rotel have them, still, but they are limited to (IIRC)
+/- 5dB, which is not enough for some recordings. Why not give me +/-
10dB and let me decide if I only want to use 5 of it?

AFAIK, only McIntosh and Accuphase make preamps with proper tone
controls.

If that's the case, then why be forced to buy something that's not
"proper"?

I'd prefer more selection. Both those brands are extremely expensive,
for one thing...

So, you'd prefer being stuck with a tone control that you can't change

What the hell are you talking about?

over the flexibility of being able to choose between many different
options at many different price ranges.

What are these "many different options"? If you mean EQ's, then spit
it out. Then, realize that I've already defeated that argument.

Weird.

Yes, your argument is weird.

Just out of curiousity, are you even IN the market for such a preamp?

Yes.

dizzy

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:57:52 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

.. .

**OK, I'll phrase it another way:

What makes you think that the average listener has some magical abilities
which are lacking in professionals?

To master a recording, you mean? Please be more precise.

**What makes you think that the average listener has magical abilities, to
adjust tone controls and equalisers, to remove problems, without the use of
calibrated equipment?

Are you mentally retarded? I'm talking about making the music sound
better, which anyone with ears can do.

Whatever they use does not render analogue tone
controls useless.

**Oh, yes it does. Without serious measurement equipment and the knowledge
to use that equipment, ALL tone controls are useless. Including high
performance digital equalisers. Regular analogue tone controls are just a
waste of time, money and space.

Absolute nonsense, obviously.

**Oh really? What makes you think that a specific room problem can be
precisely corrected by any given tone control?

I see. You are mentally retarded and/or suffering from extreme
reading comprehension problems. Just a few posts up in this thread,
in message-id: I wrote
"The vast majority of people like the sound better when the inadequate
bass on many recordings is boosted some." and "Many recordings benefit
tremendously."

You you really so dense that you think that I'm talking about
correcting room problems? Or are you just an argumentative idiot who
is making an ass of himself?

You wrote of tone controls "**It wouldn't, but it would not add any
functionality either. Analogue tone controls are useless. High end
listeners are well aware of this fact." You were wrong. Period. You
did not qualify your statements with "for correcting room problems."

Analog tone controls are not useless. Now quite being such an obtuse
******* and admit it.

Oh, here's another example, where I have already made plain you you
what I'm talking about (and it's NOT room correction).

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:47:10 GMT, dizzy wrote
in message id

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:02:47 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

**Of course. "Simple" tone controls are useless. Utterly useless. Utterly
and completely useless.

Bull**** they are. I find that many recordings I listen to have a
lack of bass. The bass control fixes that. FAR from useless - in
fact to me it's indispensable.

Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:33:08 GMT, dizzy wrote:

I see. You are mentally retarded and/or suffering from extreme
reading comprehension problems. Just a few posts up in this thread,
in message-id: I wrote
"The vast majority of people like the sound better when the inadequate
bass on many recordings is boosted some." and "Many recordings benefit
tremendously."

You have posited this but is your information anything more than
anecdotal? My experience is not the same.

Kal

Michael Conzo

"Trevor Wilson" wrote:

**What makes you think that the average listener has magical abilities, to
adjust tone controls and equalisers, to remove problems, without the use of
calibrated equipment?

What makes you think the average listener wants magical abilities?

"Trevor Wilson" wrote:

**Sure they are. Even professionals need a rough and ready measurement
occasionally. I use mine that way. When I want PROPER, ACCURATE
measurements, I use a system which has a calibration standard, with
tracability.

I think you've gone a long way to shooting yourself in the foot mate and
proving the point made by NYOB. You clearly agree that the Tandy meters are
useful occasionally, by a professional. They therefore are useful more than
occasionally by the average listener, and are clearly better than nothing.
I see no evidence that use of the Tandy meters can cause harm, and your
comments above support this fact. If they were grossly inadequate they
would have no use in a professional's kit. And if they were grossly in
error, they would be considered broken and would not have been such good
sellers.

The fact that you can apparently get more detailed measurements from more
expensive kit means nothing for the average hobbiest.

Trevor Wilson

"dizzy" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:57:52 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

"dizzy" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:08:43 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

m...

**OK, I'll phrase it another way:

What makes you think that the average listener has some magical
abilities
which are lacking in professionals?

To master a recording, you mean? Please be more precise.

**What makes you think that the average listener has magical abilities, to
adjust tone controls and equalisers, to remove problems, without the use
of
calibrated equipment?

Are you mentally retarded? I'm talking about making the music sound
better, which anyone with ears can do.

**"Better" is not necessarily more accurate. "Better" is a completely
personal, totally subjective term.

Whatever they use does not render analogue tone
controls useless.

**Oh, yes it does. Without serious measurement equipment and the
knowledge
to use that equipment, ALL tone controls are useless. Including high
performance digital equalisers. Regular analogue tone controls are just
waste of time, money and space.

Absolute nonsense, obviously.

**Oh really? What makes you think that a specific room problem can be
precisely corrected by any given tone control?

I see. You are mentally retarded and/or suffering from extreme
reading comprehension problems. Just a few posts up in this thread,
in message-id: I wrote
"The vast majority of people like the sound better when the inadequate
bass on many recordings is boosted some." and "Many recordings benefit
tremendously."

**OK, provide me with the details which pertain to your study which proves
that:

1) The vast majority of people like the sound when the inadequate bass on
many recordings is boosted some.
2) Many recordings (presumably, "many" suggests the majority) benefit
tremendously.

You you really so dense that you think that I'm talking about
correcting room problems?

**What else would you be speaking of? The artist makes the music, not the
listener.

Or are you just an argumentative idiot who
is making an ass of himself?

**Nope. I just happen to know a little about the subject. I like to educate
self appointed arbiters of what sounds best for everyone.

You wrote of tone controls "**It wouldn't, but it would not add any
functionality either. Analogue tone controls are useless. High end
listeners are well aware of this fact." You were wrong. Period. You
did not qualify your statements with "for correcting room problems."

**That's because tone controls (the standard bass and treble ones) are
useless for such a purpose.

Analog tone controls are not useless. Now quite being such an obtuse
******* and admit it.

**No point. They're useless in a decent system.

wrote:

**Of course. "Simple" tone controls are useless. Utterly useless. Utterly
and completely useless.

Bull**** they are. I find that many recordings I listen to have a
lack of bass. The bass control fixes that. FAR from useless - in
fact to me it's indispensable.

**And again: You are now usurping the artist and his/her ideas of the music.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

dave weil

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:59:00 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You're avoiding the issue.

Next thing you'll be telling me is that a listener doesn't even have
to bother ever listening, or that test equipment is a REQUIREMENT for
listening to music.

Bah.
dave weil

wrote:

[...]

I still don't see why this would **** you off. First of all, you
complain that the only high end preamps that have "proper" tone
controls are "extremely expensive". This implies that they are out of
your price range anyway. Then, you say later that spending a few
hundred dollars on an EQ is a horrible thing, when the gear you are
talking about is high dollar. THEN, you are willing to settle for a
few dollars of cost in order to have inadequate knobs on your preamp.

Additionally, there are PLENTY of preamps that have tone controls that
you can choose from. They just don't have obscure names, heavy gold
fronts and artsy designs.

Really, people, the extra (tone defeat) switch will NOT hurt. And
yes, people, for the price of "high end" pre-amps, tone-controls
should be part of the standard feature set.

Why, when adding an EQ is always an option, and is probably 99% always
a better alternative?

I don't agree that EQ's are "better", for the adjustments that I'm
talking about - boosting the bass on bass-light recoerdings.

Are you saying that tone controls would do a BETTER job than an EQ?
Personally, I tend to doubt it.

A parametric EQ could do it as well, no doubt. I was thinking of the
far more common graphic EQ when I wrote the above.

Well then that's YOUR problem, not mine. It's YOU who's now
introducing this inner thought of yours.

In any case,
thought, there's a cost/performance trade-off that heavily favors the
simple bass control, for what I'm talking about.

When you're buying a $1500+ preamp, why worry about spending another
$200-400 on a much better solution? Why take a substandard solution
(you yourself claim that there are only two high end preamps that have
proper tone controls anyway, and you don't seem willing to spend the
money on either of them).

If we were talking about cheap gear forcing
tightwads to buy EQs that cost more than the item in question, you
might have a point. But for someone spending thousands on a preamp,
what's a few hundred more dollars for a "tone control situation"
that's probably a far better and more flexible solution? At least,
it's an option, not something imposed on the buyer.

Yes, it's an option. But what sense would it make to have a
multi-$thousand preamp with a "few $hundred" EQ? That's not very
balanced, now is it? Would not that "ruin" the sound?

Couldn't you say the same thing about a tone control circuit that
would cost a couple of bucks?

Only someone getting beat in the argument as badly as you are would
say that. You're the person who paired the "cheap" EQ with the
expensive preamp. I did not.

No, you brought up the price relationship - I didn't. I didn't say for
you to buy a "cheap" EQ. I didn't say spend $50 on some piece of
Fisher junk. And you're the one who pairs a few dollars of cost with
"an expensive preamp". So, you're spinning uncotrollably at this point
because you've already lost.

You're willing to settle on the cheapest possible solution. So don't
start complaing about an EQ being "cheap", because it's far more
expensive than what you're willing to settle for.

The tone controls that I propose would be of the same quality as the
rest of the preamp.

And?

And, once that couple of bucks worth of
circuitry is in the unit, can you change it?

It would be more than a "couple bucks", and you'll have to clarify
your "change" question.

Unless you're talking about using ALPS pots, it WILL just be a couple
of bucks. And if you want to use such "quality" components, just get a
Cello EQ.

You seem hung up of the "quality" issue. I think for you it's just
cosmetic. YOU really don't care about the result, just the bragging
rights.

About changing, I'm referring to the possibility that you might end up
changing rooms and finding yourself stuck with a solution that MIGHT
not be able to take care of any issues that the new room would offer.
Tone controls are fine as far as they go, but they are STILL a
compromise.

Hell, if proper preamp with no tone controls costs over $1000, I'd
hate to guess what a "proper" EQ would cost...

Bad logic.

Wrong again.

Just saying it doesn't make it so. You're equating dollars with
quality on an absolute basis. If this were true, spending more money
would ALWAYS buy you better components and this just isn't true. Also,
you're comparing two different types of gear. That's like saying, if a
proper preamp with no tone controls costs over $1000, I'd hate to
guess what a proper dishwahing compound would cost.

I know NAD and Rotel have them, still, but they are limited to (IIRC)
+/- 5dB, which is not enough for some recordings. Why not give me +/-
10dB and let me decide if I only want to use 5 of it?

AFAIK, only McIntosh and Accuphase make preamps with proper tone
controls.

If that's the case, then why be forced to buy something that's not
"proper"?

I'd prefer more selection. Both those brands are extremely expensive,
for one thing...

So, you'd prefer being stuck with a tone control that you can't change

What the hell are you talking about?

I'm talking about being stuck with a couple of knobs that you can't
change out for a better solution. Well, you can always add an EQ
later, but then you're stuck with useless knobs.

over the flexibility of being able to choose between many different
options at many different price ranges.

What are these "many different options"? If you mean EQ's, then spit
it out. Then, realize that I've already defeated that argument.

Of course I mean EQs. That's what we've been talking about, right?
There are DOZENS of different models to choose from. There are also at
least four different EQ solutions that have been mentioned (if you
also count room treatments and careful consideration of speaker
placement).

Weird.

Yes, your argument is weird.

Just out of curiousity, are you even IN the market for such a preamp?

Yes.

Then why not buy something like these, since tone controls seem to be
the only reason you want to buy a "high end preamp" chuckle:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ubepreamp.html
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_2_4/v2n4g.html
http://www.avahifi.com/root/review/f...preamp_hpr.htm
http://www.avrev.com/news/0504/07.anthem.html

dave weil

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:17:29 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

**What makes you think that the average listener has magical abilities, to
adjust tone controls and equalisers, to remove problems, without the use
of
calibrated equipment?

Are you mentally retarded? I'm talking about making the music sound
better, which anyone with ears can do.

**"Better" is not necessarily more accurate. "Better" is a completely
personal, totally subjective term.

Well yes. So tell me Trevor, if someone can use tone controls to make
the system sound "better" to them, what's yer beef? What if a "more
accurate" sound doesn't sound as good?
dave weil

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:17:29 GMT, in rec.audio.opinion you wrote:

Or are you just an argumentative idiot who
is making an ass of himself?

**Nope. I just happen to know a little about the subject. I like to educate
self appointed arbiters of what sounds best for everyone.

Isn't that exactly what YOU'RE doing here when you deny a person the
right to adjust for a subjectively better sound?

wrote:

"dizzy" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:08:43 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

om...

**OK, I'll phrase it another way:

What makes you think that the average listener has some magical
abilities
which are lacking in professionals?

To master a recording, you mean? Please be more precise.

**What makes you think that the average listener has magical abilities,
adjust tone controls and equalisers, to remove problems, without the use
of
calibrated equipment?

Are you mentally retarded? I'm talking about making the music sound
better, which anyone with ears can do.

**"Better" is not necessarily more accurate.

If you can make the sound more accurate with an EQ, what's the problem?

"Better" is a completely
personal, totally subjective term.

And Audio is an entirely personal and subjective hobby for very many people.
Personally, I prefer the most accurate sound I can get, which means some
form of EQ.

Whatever they use does not render analogue tone
controls useless.

**Oh, yes it does. Without serious measurement equipment and the
knowledge
to use that equipment, ALL tone controls are useless. Including high
performance digital equalisers. Regular analogue tone controls are just
waste of time, money and space.

You are so full of ****, that I don't know how you can stand yoruself.
There is no magic about doing an EQ, if you some accurate tones and decent
meter to measure them with.

You you really so dense that you think that I'm talking about
correcting room problems?

**What else would you be speaking of? The artist makes the music, not the
listener.

Or are you just an argumentative idiot who
is making an ass of himself?

**Nope. I just happen to know a little about the subject. I like to
educate self appointed arbiters of what sounds best for everyone.

That's exactly what you are doing you dumb ass.

Analog tone controls are not useless. Now quite being such an obtuse
******* and admit it.

**No point. They're useless in a decent system.

They are an inexpenisve feature that allow the listener some flexibility in
tailoring the sound to his/her likes, and to tame hiisy FM reception or
noisy old LP's.

wrote:

**Of course. "Simple" tone controls are useless. Utterly useless.
Utterly
and completely useless.

Bull**** they are. I find that many recordings I listen to have a
lack of bass. The bass control fixes that. FAR from useless - in
fact to me it's indispensable.

**And again: You are now usurping the artist and his/her ideas of the
music.

Are the music police going to come and arrest you if you **** around with
the tone controls? Lots of people do some kind of tinkering with the sound
of their systems, even if it's only moving their speakers around a bit.
It's a matter of personal taste that high end gear should have built in.

If you're not happy with the results of tone controls or choose not to use
them or are not competent to use an EQ with an spl meter, that's your
problem.
I have done a few of them and never been unhappy with the results and
neither have any of the people I've done them for.

These days a 1/3 octave, digital, constant Q, EQ, can be had for as little
as $165.00. so it's a small matter to insert one and try it out. A Radio
Shack SPL meter is about $40.00 and when the corrections are factored into
their measurements they are very useful in spite of your denials, even
though confronted with multiple examples of their measured performance and
comparisons to expensive meters. They are in fact pretty well QC'd so that
a meter you bought 10 years ago is going to compare very well with one you
bought last week.

BTW since you seem to be unaware of who SVSubwoofers are, you might get off
your ass and visit their website www.svsubwoofers.com and realize they make
some of the best and best reviewed subs on the market.

dizzy

wrote:

[...]

What is it, exactly, about having a poor selection of components that
fill my needs, is so hard for you to comprehend?

Is it REALLLY so hard for you to understand that it would be "better"
to have a mulitude of choices at different price points and from
different companies? Sheesh!

Then, you say later that spending a few
hundred dollars on an EQ is a horrible thing, when the gear you are
talking about is high dollar.

I said it would be a mismatch, yes. Is that also difficult for you to
understand? You are a real thinker, aren't you?

THEN, you are willing to settle for a
few dollars of cost in order to have inadequate knobs on your preamp.

Nope. The "few dollars" things is your proposal.

Additionally, there are PLENTY of preamps that have tone controls that
you can choose from.

I disagree, especially since some of those tone controls are
inadequate, like the +/- 5dB controls on current NAD and Rotel
preamps.

They just don't have obscure names, heavy gold
fronts and artsy designs.

I would appreciate some examples, with good +/- 10 dB or better
controls. The examples at the end of your post don't cut it for me,
for various reasons, such as this. This is where having more choices
would make help me.

Really, people, the extra (tone defeat) switch will NOT hurt. And
yes, people, for the price of "high end" pre-amps, tone-controls
should be part of the standard feature set.

Why, when adding an EQ is always an option, and is probably 99% always
a better alternative?

I don't agree that EQ's are "better", for the adjustments that I'm
talking about - boosting the bass on bass-light recoerdings.

Are you saying that tone controls would do a BETTER job than an EQ?
Personally, I tend to doubt it.

A parametric EQ could do it as well, no doubt. I was thinking of the
far more common graphic EQ when I wrote the above.

Well then that's YOUR problem, not mine. It's YOU who's now
introducing this inner thought of yours.

And it's YOUR problem that you can't understand that tone controls are
a good compromise between the cost and complexity of an EQ and the
(over) simplicity of a control-free preamp.

In any case,
thought, there's a cost/performance trade-off that heavily favors the
simple bass control, for what I'm talking about.

When you're buying a $1500+ preamp, why worry about spending another
$200-400 on a much better solution?

See above.

Why take a substandard solution
(you yourself claim that there are only two high end preamps that have
proper tone controls anyway, and you don't seem willing to spend the
money on either of them).

A proper bass control does the task I'm talking about quite well, in
my experience. Plus, remember the "mismatch"?

Still, if you know of some "good" analog parametric EQ's, I'd be
interested in checking them out...

If we were talking about cheap gear forcing
tightwads to buy EQs that cost more than the item in question, you
might have a point. But for someone spending thousands on a preamp,
what's a few hundred more dollars for a "tone control situation"
that's probably a far better and more flexible solution? At least,
it's an option, not something imposed on the buyer.

Yes, it's an option. But what sense would it make to have a
multi-$thousand preamp with a "few $hundred" EQ? That's not very
balanced, now is it? Would not that "ruin" the sound?

Couldn't you say the same thing about a tone control circuit that
would cost a couple of bucks?

Only someone getting beat in the argument as badly as you are would
say that. You're the person who paired the "cheap" EQ with the
expensive preamp. I did not.

No, you brought up the price relationship - I didn't.

No, you did, just a few paragraphs up.

I didn't say for
you to buy a "cheap" EQ. I didn't say spend $50 on some piece of
Fisher junk.

You wrote 'for someone spending thousands on a preamp, what's a few
hundred more dollars for a "tone control situation"'

And you're the one who pairs a few dollars of cost with
"an expensive preamp".

That's a bald-faced lie. It is you who continues with the "few
dollars" nonsense.

So, you're spinning uncotrollably at this point
because you've already lost.

That's very ironic, considering the ease at which I'm exposing the
weakness of your case, plus your dishonesty.

You're willing to settle on the cheapest possible solution.

Your lies do not become you.

So don't
start complaing about an EQ being "cheap", because it's far more
expensive than what you're willing to settle for.

An argument based on lies. Pathetic.

The tone controls that I propose would be of the same quality as the
rest of the preamp.

And?

And?

And, once that couple of bucks worth of
circuitry is in the unit, can you change it?

It would be more than a "couple bucks", and you'll have to clarify
your "change" question.

Unless you're talking about using ALPS pots, it WILL just be a couple
of bucks.

Just what kind of pot do you think would be a proper match for a
$1,000 preamp?

Those thinking skill of yours are something to behold...

To spell it out for you, yes, I'm talking about high-quality tone
controls, using high-quality pots, like ALPS.

And if you want to use such "quality" components, just get a
Cello EQ.

No. I just want quality bass and trable controls.

You seem hung up of the "quality" issue. I think for you it's just
cosmetic.

What you think is often quite stupid.

YOU really don't care about the result, just the bragging
rights.

Another bald-faced lie from you. Sickening.

Listen, idiot. I'm the one here who is concerned with performance.
If I just wanted "bragging rights", any fancy tone-control-free preamp
would provide the necessary snob appeal.

About changing, I'm referring to the possibility that you might end up
changing rooms and finding yourself stuck with a solution that MIGHT
not be able to take care of any issues that the new room would offer.

That's not what I want tone controls for.

Tone controls are fine as far as they go, but they are STILL a
compromise.

Of course they are.

Hell, if proper preamp with no tone controls costs over $1000, I'd
hate to guess what a "proper" EQ would cost...

Bad logic.

Wrong again.

Just saying it doesn't make it so.

Just saying "bad logic" doesn't make it so.

You're equating dollars with
quality on an absolute basis. If this were true, spending more money
would ALWAYS buy you better components and this just isn't true.

Straw man.

Also,
you're comparing two different types of gear. That's like saying, if a
proper preamp with no tone controls costs over $1000, I'd hate to
guess what a proper dishwahing compound would cost.

Bad logic, considering that preamps and EQ's are both audio components
and have many similarities.

I know NAD and Rotel have them, still, but they are limited to (IIRC)
+/- 5dB, which is not enough for some recordings. Why not give me +/-
10dB and let me decide if I only want to use 5 of it?

AFAIK, only McIntosh and Accuphase make preamps with proper tone
controls.

If that's the case, then why be forced to buy something that's not
"proper"?

I'd prefer more selection. Both those brands are extremely expensive,
for one thing...

So, you'd prefer being stuck with a tone control that you can't change

What the hell are you talking about?

I'm talking about being stuck with a couple of knobs that you can't
change out for a better solution. Well, you can always add an EQ
later, but then you're stuck with useless knobs.

Oh my, how terrible that would be. In any event highly unlikely,
since they have always worked quite well for me to adjust for
different recording's bass levels.

over the flexibility of being able to choose between many different
options at many different price ranges.

What are these "many different options"? If you mean EQ's, then spit
it out. Then, realize that I've already defeated that argument.

Of course I mean EQs. That's what we've been talking about, right?
There are DOZENS of different models to choose from. There are also at
least four different EQ solutions that have been mentioned (if you
also count room treatments and careful consideration of speaker
placement).

A completely analog parametric EQ would be the only type I would
consider.

Weird.

Yes, your argument is weird.

Just out of curiousity, are you even IN the market for such a preamp?

Yes.

Then why not buy something like these, since tone controls seem to be
the only reason you want to buy a "high end preamp" chuckle:

Yet ANOTHER bald-faced lie from you. What does it say about you that
you lie so easily, and then laugh about it?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ubepreamp.html
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_2_4/v2n4g.html

These two have inadequate boost. I need at least +/-10 dB, which is
extremely common, until you start to get into the "high end".

http://www.avahifi.com/root/review/f...preamp_hpr.htm

Doesn't say what the boost is. I don't think it's remote-controllable
either. Kind of an oddball tube-thingy in general.

Before you embarrass yourself further, note that I consider good tone
controls a required feature, but hardly the only thing that matters.
This is where having more selection helps.

http://www.avrev.com/news/0504/07.anthem.html

This one digitizes everything and runs it through a DSP. That's not
what I want. I want a simple, high-quality, analog preamp with good
tone controls (and yes, a remote for the volume).

dizzy

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:40:12 GMT, dizzy wrote:

I want a simple, high-quality, analog preamp with good
tone controls (and yes, a remote for the volume).

I should note that, fortunately for me, a preamp that meets the above
criteria and is also reasonably priced is not totally non-existant.
In fact I own one. It's no longer made, and I stumbled-upon it after
months of searching. It retailed for about $1,000, and yes, it has
ALPS pots in the tone-control circuits.

dave weil

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:40:12 GMT, dizzy wrote:

Still, if you know of some "good" analog parametric EQ's, I'd be
interested in checking them out...

Go on eBay and look for SAE.

The rest of your post is just blather...
dave weil

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:40:12 GMT, dizzy wrote:

I'm talking about being stuck with a couple of knobs that you can't
change out for a better solution. Well, you can always add an EQ
later, but then you're stuck with useless knobs.

Oh my, how terrible that would be. In any event highly unlikely,
since they have always worked quite well for me to adjust for
different recording's bass levels.

Then just get a damn preamp with tone controls.

Simple.
dave weil

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:52:25 GMT, dizzy wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:40:12 GMT, dizzy wrote:

I want a simple, high-quality, analog preamp with good
tone controls (and yes, a remote for the volume).

I should note that, fortunately for me, a preamp that meets the above
criteria and is also reasonably priced is not totally non-existant.
In fact I own one. It's no longer made, and I stumbled-upon it after
months of searching. It retailed for about $1,000, and yes, it has
ALPS pots in the tone-control circuits.

Well then, you've already got what you need. Unless you're just
interested in churning your gear. If that's the case, then I can't
help you.

Your name is approriate, THAT'S for sure.

Arny Krueger

"dizzy" wrote in message

Just out of curiousity, are you even IN the market for
such a preamp?

If I want a preamp with good tone controls I just patch some
good parametrics (usually a pair of Rane SP-15s) in line
right before my power amp. They work well with both my
Conrad Johnson and my Apt Holman preamps.

dizzy

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:04:11 -0600, dave weil
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:52:25 GMT, dizzy wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:40:12 GMT, dizzy wrote:

I want a simple, high-quality, analog preamp with good
tone controls (and yes, a remote for the volume).

I should note that, fortunately for me, a preamp that meets the above
criteria and is also reasonably priced is not totally non-existant.
In fact I own one. It's no longer made, and I stumbled-upon it after
months of searching. It retailed for about $1,000, and yes, it has
ALPS pots in the tone-control circuits.

Well then, you've already got what you need. Unless you're just
interested in churning your gear. If that's the case, then I can't
help you.

Not interested in churning gear. I just think it's a sad state of
affairs that it's so difficult to find what is really the obvious
design and which SHOULD be commonly-available.

"Oh, a tone-defeat switch will hurt my sound", says the audio snob...

Your name is approriate,

In your opinion.

THAT'S for sure.

Nope.

dave weil

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 22:27:37 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

dave weil wrote in message

Just out of curiousity, are you even IN the market for
such a preamp?

If I want a preamp with good tone controls I just patch some
good parametrics (usually a pair of Rane SP-15s) in line
right before my power amp. They work well with both my
Conrad Johnson and my Apt Holman preamps.

Why are you replying to something *I* wrote?
dave weil

wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:52:25 GMT, dizzy wrote:

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 01:40:12 GMT, dizzy wrote:

I want a simple, high-quality, analog preamp with good
tone controls (and yes, a remote for the volume).

I should note that, fortunately for me, a preamp that meets the above
criteria and is also reasonably priced is not totally non-existant.
In fact I own one. It's no longer made, and I stumbled-upon it after
months of searching. It retailed for about $1,000, and yes, it has
ALPS pots in the tone-control circuits.

Well then, you've already got what you need. Unless you're just
interested in churning your gear. If that's the case, then I can't
help you.

Not interested in churning gear. I just think it's a sad state of
affairs that it's so difficult to find what is really the obvious
design and which SHOULD be commonly-available.

And *I* think it's weird that this ****es you off. And that you can't
make up your mind, i.e. that you're in the market for a new preamp
when you have one that you seem to be happy with already. Sounds like
a churning situtation to me...

Actually, the *obvious* design in a high end preamp is to eliminate
the unnecessary and since parametrics or digitals (or even graphics,
depending on your specific problem) can do so much of a better job,
then why would you need tone controls?

If you'd quit spinning, you wouldn't BE so dizzy.

Lionel

dave weil wrote :

Your name is approriate, THAT'S for sure.

Name calling ?