Default Stereophile still under Randi's radar

Chevdo wrote:
In article .com,
says...
What, though Randi hasn't actually invited me to take part in the
challenge, you feel I should rush forward anyway, saying that I
will accept a challenge to take part in a test auditioning products
I haven't heard? A test, BTW, organized by someone who has already
demonstrated his bad faith and antipathy toward me personally on his
website by misrepresenting what I have said and written, fabricating
quotes that were presented as being by me, confusing me with other
reviewers and editors, etc etc? Sure, why not?

Mr. Randi requested that I post this reply to your lies about his
challenge to you...

What lies? I was correct about his misrepresentations, and he admitted
making the mistakes to which I referred above on his website. And I
was correct that while he had issued the Million-dollar challenge to
a number of audio writers, he ahd not done so to me or to Stereophile.

"If John Atkinson - or anyone at Stereophile Magazine - can show that
the questioned goods they endorsed in the pages of Stereophile
actually work as advertised, Mr. Atkinson, or any other person at
Stereophile, or Stereophile Magazine itself, or ANY OTHER PERSON
IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE - including those who offer the device(s) for
sale - can and will win the million-dollar challenge as offered by
the James Randi Educational Foundation at www.randi.org/research/index.html."

And he _has_ apparently done so, using you, "Chevdo," as his agent.
Well done. But please note that that fact that Randi _has_ now issued
the challenge to me can't be used retroactively to prove that I
was lying earlier about his not having done so. The arrow of time is
_so_ inconvenient when it flows only in one direction, eh.

I predict that John Atkinson - and all of the inventors/vendors of the
device(s) - will choose to ignore, as always, this attractive offer.
This, because they know full well that the device(s) cannot and would
not, pass simple, direct, definitive, tests...

I cannot speak for the vendors of the devices in question, but I most
certainly will turn down Mr. Randi's offer, "Chevdo." Randi has already
lied to me and publicly misrepresented what I am supposed to have said
or written, yet _now_ he wants me to _trust_ his integrity? Yeah,
right!
The guy is just an old carnie, looking for free publicity. In my
opinion.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

wrote in message
oups.com...

I predict that John Atkinson - and all of the inventors/vendors of the
device(s) - will choose to ignore, as always, this attractive offer.
This, because they know full well that the device(s) cannot and would
not, pass simple, direct, definitive, tests...

I cannot speak for the vendors of the devices in question, but I most
certainly will turn down Mr. Randi's offer, "Chevdo." Randi has already
lied to me and publicly misrepresented what I am supposed to have said
or written, yet _now_ he wants me to _trust_ his integrity? Yeah,
right!
The guy is just an old carnie, looking for free publicity. In my
opinion.

Successfully too, I see. :-)

Norm

wrote in message
oups.com...

Chevdo wrote:
[...]

I could use a million dollars about now. If I thought I could tell when a
Tice clock or a Shakti stone was in use, I would be contacting Randi and
doing my level best to set up the test. I would accept the challenge
publicly so that Randi couldn't back out without suffering significant loss
of face. I would certainly not be worrying about past lies by Randi; I
would not be trying to find excuses not to meet the challenge. Heavens no.
I'd be concentrating all my efforts on winning a million dollars.

If somebody's going to back out or have his bluff called, it's not going to
be me. I need the million!

Norm Strong

MINe 109

I could use a million dollars about now. If I thought I could tell when a
Tice clock or a Shakti stone was in use, I would be contacting Randi and
doing my level best to set up the test. I would accept the challenge
publicly so that Randi couldn't back out without suffering significant loss
of face. I would certainly not be worrying about past lies by Randi; I
would not be trying to find excuses not to meet the challenge. Heavens no.
I'd be concentrating all my efforts on winning a million dollars.

If somebody's going to back out or have his bluff called, it's not going to
be me. I need the million!

You'd have to "demonstrate any psychic, supernatural or paranormal
ability under satisfactory observing conditions" to get that million.

Hearing isn't any of those.

Stephen

"MINe 109" wrote in message

I could use a million dollars about now. If I thought I could tell when
Tice clock or a Shakti stone was in use, I would be contacting Randi and
doing my level best to set up the test. I would accept the challenge
publicly so that Randi couldn't back out without suffering significant
loss
of face. I would certainly not be worrying about past lies by Randi; I
would not be trying to find excuses not to meet the challenge. Heavens
no.
I'd be concentrating all my efforts on winning a million dollars.

If somebody's going to back out or have his bluff called, it's not going
be me. I need the million!

You'd have to "demonstrate any psychic, supernatural or paranormal
ability under satisfactory observing conditions" to get that million.

Hearing isn't any of those.

It would have to be to hear effects from those devices.

Clyde Slick

wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Chevdo wrote:
[...]

EXACTLY who's million dollars is this?
Does the million really exist?
Sorry for being so 'skeptical'!

Nathan Stohler

Clyde Slick wrote:

EXACTLY who's million dollars is this?
Does the million really exist?
Sorry for being so 'skeptical'!

The money belongs to the JREF (James Randi Educational Foundation):

http://randi.org/research/faq.html#3.1

Clyde Slick

"Nathan Stohler" wrote in message

Clyde Slick wrote:

EXACTLY who's million dollars is this?
Does the million really exist?
Sorry for being so 'skeptical'!

The money belongs to the JREF (James Randi Educational Foundation):

http://randi.org/research/faq.html#3.1

I wonder if the JREF trustees or directors have the authority to
pay this money.
What does all this have to do with the purpose of an educational foundation?

Nathan Stohler

Clyde Slick wrote:

EXACTLY who's million dollars is this?
Does the million really exist?
Sorry for being so 'skeptical'!

The money belongs to the JREF (James Randi Educational Foundation):

http://randi.org/research/faq.html#3.1

I wonder if the JREF trustees or directors have the authority to
pay this money.
What does all this have to do with the purpose of an educational foundation?

The $1,000,000 prize is offered as a mean to raise public awareness for the
JREF's cause, which is to encourage critical thinking and demonstrate the
consequences of accepting supernatural claims without question.