Posted to rec.audio.tech
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

Default FM signal amplifier/booster

I have a Sony under-cabinet AM/FM/CD radio with no external antenna
terminal. FM reception is scratchy on stations with moderate signal
strength. Does anybody make a signal booster/repeater that would
create more signal strength in the vicinity of the radio?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Curmudgeon" wrote...
I have a Sony under-cabinet AM/FM/CD radio with no external antenna
terminal. FM reception is scratchy on stations with moderate signal
strength. Does anybody make a signal booster/repeater that would
create more signal strength in the vicinity of the radio?

If it truly has no antenna terminal, or even a wire coming out the
back (etc), then it might use the power cord as an FM antenna.
I would try taking a piece of insulated wire maybe ~10ft long,
and wrapping 5-10 turns around the power cord as an "antenna
extension". Note that this is coupled by proximity (capacitance),
there is NO ELECTRICAL CONNECTION to the power cord!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Curmudgeon Curmudgeon is offline

On Oct 30, 7:42 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Curmudgeon" wrote...
I have a Sony under-cabinet AM/FM/CD radio with no external antenna
terminal. FM reception is scratchy on stations with moderate signal
strength. Does anybody make a signal booster/repeater that would
create more signal strength in the vicinity of the radio?

If it truly has no antenna terminal, or even a wire coming out the
back (etc), then it might use the power cord as an FM antenna.
I would try taking a piece of insulated wire maybe ~10ft long,
and wrapping 5-10 turns around the power cord as an "antenna
extension". Note that this is coupled by proximity (capacitance),
there is NO ELECTRICAL CONNECTION to the power cord!

OK - I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

Curmudgeon wrote:

I have a Sony under-cabinet AM/FM/CD radio with no external antenna
terminal. FM reception is scratchy on stations with moderate signal
strength. Does anybody make a signal booster/repeater that would
create more signal strength in the vicinity of the radio?

Does it get better signal if you stand in close proximity? If so, you
could hang a side of beef there...

8)

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Oct 30, 8:02 pm, dizzy wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
I have a Sony under-cabinet AM/FM/CD radio with no external antenna
terminal. FM reception is scratchy on stations with moderate signal
strength. Does anybody make a signal booster/repeater that would
create more signal strength in the vicinity of the radio?

Does it get better signal if you stand in close proximity? If so, you
could hang a side of beef there...

8)

Well, it is in the kitchen, after all. And not far from the oven and
broiler. We could whack off steaks and roasts until the reception
degrades and then replace the beef from time to time. I'll ask my wife
what she thinks of this plan...

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

Curmudgeon wrote:
I have a Sony under-cabinet AM/FM/CD radio with no external antenna
terminal. FM reception is scratchy on stations with moderate signal
strength. Does anybody make a signal booster/repeater that would
create more signal strength in the vicinity of the radio?

Good morning,

While I agree with poster Mr. Crowley, he forgot to mention that you
might try just straightening out the power cord, and moving it around a
bit. If its all coiled together it will make a lousy antenna.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Tim Schwartz" wrote ...
Curmudgeon wrote:
I have a Sony under-cabinet AM/FM/CD radio with no external antenna
terminal. FM reception is scratchy on stations with moderate signal
strength. Does anybody make a signal booster/repeater that would
create more signal strength in the vicinity of the radio?

Good morning,

While I agree with poster Mr. Crowley, he forgot to mention that you might
try just straightening out the power cord, and moving it around a bit. If
its all coiled together it will make a lousy antenna.

Brilliant. I should have thought of that.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Oct 31, 8:06 am, Tim Schwartz wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
I have a Sony under-cabinet AM/FM/CD radio with no external antenna
terminal. FM reception is scratchy on stations with moderate signal
strength. Does anybody make a signal booster/repeater that would
create more signal strength in the vicinity of the radio?

Good morning,

While I agree with poster Mr. Crowley, he forgot to mention that you
might try just straightening out the power cord, and moving it around a
bit. If its all coiled together it will make a lousy antenna.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

I checked the documentation - sure enough, the AC cord serves as an FM
antenna.

However, in keeping with Sony's lousy quality control, it turns out
that my unit is defective and I have sent it in for a replacement (the
battery powered clock function was not working, and I discovered that
whoever inserted the battery at the factory managed to bend the
battery contact terminal in half so it doesn't contact the battery at
all. It can't be straightened out without disassembling the radio, and
there's no guarantee that unbending it would be successful in any
case).

I'll try straightening out the cord, and maybe adding an extender
wire, when I get it back.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

Curmudgeon wrote:

dizzy wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
I have a Sony under-cabinet AM/FM/CD radio with no external antenna
terminal. FM reception is scratchy on stations with moderate signal
strength. Does anybody make a signal booster/repeater that would
create more signal strength in the vicinity of the radio?

Does it get better signal if you stand in close proximity? If so, you
could hang a side of beef there...

8)

Well, it is in the kitchen, after all. And not far from the oven and
broiler. We could whack off steaks and roasts until the reception
degrades and then replace the beef from time to time. I'll ask my wife
what she thinks of this plan...

You need approval? Whipped!

8)