Bachhus139 Bachhus139 is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy Sell or keep Pioneer A-717

Hey All,
I bought a Pioneer A-717 reference amplifier and Bose 901 series 6 speakers in Germany way back in 1987. I use them VERY seldom now, as they are too loud for neighbors (usually just use headphones - like my music loud). They were fairly expensive and still have amazing sound. I hate to part with them, but they are so seldomly used. I just haul them from apartment to apartment. Not even set up now (been here 3 years).
What is the opinion out there, keep them in case I move to the middle of the woods (did once, damn things got loud!)? Or sell them (probably for very little money) and buy new if I ever need the sound again? It would probably be expensive to replace that good old 80's power! (amp actually says 440 watts per channel, but I did not think they were rated that high. But the amp is the 4 voltage settings unit for sale in Europe, Middle East, Asia, US, etc.).
Just looking for some general thoughts. I am definately not an audiophile, haven't boght a CD in years (or has anybody since Napster, lol). Thanks All.
Cheers,
Bach
Posted to rec.audio.marketplace
Agent_C Agent_C is offline

Default Sell or keep Pioneer A-717

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 17:52:14 +0000, Bachhus139
wrote:

[...]amp actually says 440 watts per channel, but I did not think
they were rated that high.

Not even close: http://tinyurl.com/33tlgv

If it no longer has any value to you as an amp, you could probably get
a few bucks for it on eBay. Its not very well known and there have
been no recent sales to base an asking price.

You make have to be patent, or sell it cheap.

A_C

Bachhus139 Bachhus139 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_C View Post
wrote:

[...]amp actually says 440 watts per channel, but I did not think
they were rated that high.

Not even close: http://tinyurl.com/33tlgv

If it no longer has any value to you as an amp, you could probably get
a few bucks for it on eBay. Its not very well known and there have
been no recent sales to base an asking price.

You make have to be patent, or sell it cheap.

A_C
Not having looked at audio equipment in years, anybody know what a good amplifier that would drive the Bose 901's nicely would cost. And anybody have a distinct preference as to brand. I know...I should do my own research, but you guys and gals here seem to have excellent knowledge.
Thanks for your help and patience.
Bach