Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Unexpected clicking noise

Hi.

I have been creating an audio CD, with the help of a sofware.

Basically, the sound track is made of isochronic pulses, which sound
like a low pitch beat.
I exported the track to a wav file (about 500 Mbytes for 50 minutes),
and burned the audio CD from the WAV file.

Now, if I listen to the CD with my sony headphones, I hear a regular
clicking noise on top of the normal sound track, about 8 times per
second, which is quite unexpected and distracting.

Other people had same problem on their side.

Does anyone have an idea where this noise is coming from? I did not
hear it on the PC speaker, but I can hear it strongly on the high range
headphones.

And then, how can I prevent it?

Thank you in advance,
Marie

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

wrote:

I have been creating an audio CD, with the help of a sofware.
Basically, the sound track is made of isochronic pulses, which sound
like a low pitch beat.
I exported the track to a wav file (about 500 Mbytes for 50 minutes),
and burned the audio CD from the WAV file.

Now, if I listen to the CD with my sony headphones, I hear a regular
clicking noise on top of the normal sound track, about 8 times per
second, which is quite unexpected and distracting.

Do you have this problem with other CDs, or is it unique to this
particular one? Have you tried the obvious and burned another CD?
Sometimes they just don't work.

It would be indeed unusual for one particular file to be troublesome
but not others. You mentioned that you didn't hear the clicking on the
PC speakers, but you heard it with headphones. Is that with the
headphones plugged into the computer as well as the CD player? If you
can hear the clicks in the headphones when playing the WAV file
directly from the computer, then the place to look for the problem is
within the WAV file itself.

You might want to think about how you created this file. Perhaps in
making the pulses, you have, or created, sharp edges of the envelope
that, because of their very fast rise time, sound like clicks - and
those clicks are too fast to be reproduced by the speakers.

If you're still puzzled, perhaps you could post a few seconds of the
WAV file (as a real WAV file, not an MP3) on a web site somewhere so
that those intersted in helping you further can have a look at it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I don't know.
I will test with my headphones directly from the soundcard, but it
introduces another factor, the frequency response from the sound card
itself.

Anyway, good idea. It may help to pinpoint the problem, thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I tried with the headphones directly from the sound card, and I cannot
hear them there.
I burned another CD, same results.

I start to believe that the original wav must have those sounds, but I
cannot hear them on the PC because of the sound card limited quality.
I'll take a look at the pattern of the sound before wav recording.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JM

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi Marie, I've had similar experience when my files were clipping- some
speakers reproduce clicks and others do not. Is it possible you're
clipping? As Mike says, if you can post a snip of the file somewhere (not
500mb! we might be able to tell you what the problem is.

Stay well,

~jason

Posted to rec.audio.pro

? Well, correct me if I am wrong (I am no expert), but I think that my
CD player has a better frequency response range than my built-in sound
card. Isn't this so? Then, I believe maybe thare are some sharp
frequencies that make a click on my headphones with the CD player, but
not though the sound card, if they are filtered by it.

Also, I do not know what clipping is in this context. It looks
interesting.
I'll take a look on google to see what that means. If this is the
reason, maybe there is a solution.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark

Clipping happens when the signal level exceeds full scale, try
reduceing the signal level about 2 dB.

OR

does the clicking correspond to the speed that the CD is spinning, you
could have errors due to a scratch or some other problem on the CD in
the reading/writing that sounds like clicks...

Mark